No announcement yet.

OFR post question, and spring question. HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes no sense to me, I can't see the pics yet (firewalled at work), but...unless you're tuned obscenely sharp with 13's or something, I don't see how you couldn't balance the bridge with 4 springs.

Comment

hmmm I've got 4 springs w 11's tuned to standard E, no problem. can you push down on the trem as if you were trying raising pitch with the bar, if it doesnt move then its not the springs.
      i would back the trem stop all the way out, & double check the that the block isnt hitting the route. My Wayne is like that, looks full floating but the route for the sustain block is setup so there is no pull up on the trem at all.

Comment

Checked way up in the cavity. You were right. The block is rubbing. Well, nothing like a lot of wasted Time and money

Comment

Originally posted by rhoadsfan11 View Post

OMG!!! Your Floyd looks like it's floating 1/2" above the body (the pickup is uber high)! From the spring cavity it looks like it's level, so my guess is that the block is also way too long for the body, along with hitting the inside cavity. I would toss or return that thing and get your guitar setup properly. I can only imagine how the action is, or did you shim the neck like crazy?
          1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
          1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
          2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
          2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
          2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
          2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
          1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
          2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
          2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
          1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

The pictures are way worse then it looks it person. I'm going to return the big block and put the stock one back in and have a fresh setup done

Comment

I'd take it to a tech as is. Is the original block a 42mm? It should be, I think, but I haven't owned a Crossed Swords model myself. I could, were it in my hands, probably do a setup. It looks way, way wrong as-is.

Comment

The original block is a 37.. But wasn't tall enough to use with a trem stop

Comment

Are you sure? Your bridge is set obscenely high to begin with. Maybe that's why the 37mm block wasn't large enough. I'd have someone do a proper setup before you jump to any conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                    Are you sure? Your bridge is set obscenely high to begin with. Maybe that's why the 37mm block wasn't large enough. I'd have someone do a proper setup before you jump to any conclusions.
                    This.

Your bridge is set so high that the block can't reach down to the bottom of the trem cavity route where the trem stop is installed. Also, in your photos the bridge appears to be tilted forwards slightly because of the bigger block and the reason it's slipping off the posts is because the spring/string tension is out of whack. I also notice you stacked two pickup bezels on top of each other in order to get the bridge pickup high enough to reach the strings... That should be telling you something.

Take the guitar to a tech to get it set up.
                    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

You guys are right im going to bring it to my tech. I'm just going to stick with the stock block. I've already sent the 37 back in exchange for the 42. To much of a headache for a guitar that I'm already happy with

Comment

Personally, being an advocate of big blocks, I'd exchange the 42mm for a 37mm (did you order it through Adam at FloydUpgrades?) and then take it in for a setup. It's a worthwhile upgrade. Once you get the guitar back, note how everything is and you'll learn how to do it yourself in time. Still, great guitar.

Comment

I just exchanged a 37 for this 42 through adam at floyd upgrades. I told him the issue I had with the block being to short and he told me I deff needed the 42 to be used with the term stop. I don't feel like sending another block back.
                          Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                          Personally, being an advocate of big blocks, I'd exchange the 42mm for a 37mm (did you order it through Adam at FloydUpgrades?) and then take it in for a setup. It's a worthwhile upgrade. Once you get the guitar back, note how everything is and you'll learn how to do it yourself in time. Still, great guitar.

Comment

Your guitar, your call. I'm just saying, once it gets set up properly it might be too long. ;p
                            Last edited by SausageofPower; 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM.

Comment

The guitar came with a 37, so use that. The 42 is making it sit higher off the body than necessary.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                                The guitar came with a 37, so use that. The 42 is making it sit higher off the body than necessary.
                                No, the block will just hang out the back of the guitar without a cover plate

Comment

Working...
                                X