No announcement yet.

Strings !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never discount the importance of keeping the strings clean either. Even just a quick wipe off with a clean cloth after playing will help them stay fresh for longer. Dunlop Ultraglide is also really nice for cleaning up some dirty strings. DRs have lasted me up to 6 months without rusting or sounding dull using ultraglide. I've used Ernie Ball, Dean Markley, SIT, and D'addario in the past. They all rust out much quicker than tite fits for me. So I'm DR for life. Not to mention the feel. The strings are pre-stretched when you get them. So the .052 gauge string is .052 AFTER stretching. Most strings are not the advertised gauges once stretched out

Comment

D' Addario 13-56

Comment

I use only D'addarion XL120's, 9-42, and have for over 25 years. I probably haven't broken a string in that long either. Love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
          I use only D'addario XL120's, 9-42, and have for over 25 years. I probably haven't broken a string in that long either. Love them.
          And 10-46 too for Eb...

With the difference that I broke a lot of strings!
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Noone spotted Dave Mustang ?

Comment

Originally posted by Iivari View Post
              Noone spotted Dave Mustang ?
              Definitely spotted, but no point in correcting lol. eBay people have some of the most epic mistakes in history. I bought LEDs recently that had a brightness of 12 candles. Even though I knew they meant 12 candela I lul'd

Comment

After reading Devotee's (is that french?) post earlier, i decided to string my old SG up with some spaghetti-al dente of course. They played great but the tone was a little off. I switched to wheat spaghetti and it cleared that problem right up...a much more pure tone. Thanks for the recommendation Devoteaux!

Comment

It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                  ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

The problem with DR strings is they do occasionally have bad batches. The last time I bought some packs my store told me they had been getting recent complaints of breaking on the unwound strings. I haven't experienced it myself but their quality control is definitely more variable than D'Addario. But for me they still play and sound a little better so I risk it.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yeah, I'm in that boat. I've never gotten a bad batch of DR myself, and the feel is second to none

Comment

I decided to try DR tite fit's 10-56. Smell some drop C acation guys ? IMHO 10 is nice for high D, since I can do full bends (yes I some times bend 1st string), but 13 and 17 are too lose for bending, I need bit more resistance. I expect realy meaty sound of that 56 too !

Comment

So, I just broke high e on my guitar (dr ddt 10-46) and decided to try something new. What kind of strings do you play and why ? Also, recommend me some, please ! Btw, I tune down to D. Thanks !
                          Didn't know you were opening a can of worms on this question did you?
                          I've tried them all over the years from GHS to Dean Markley Blue Steel. SIT to Fender Bullets. The only ones that I've found that absolutely sucked were the generic strings Wal-Mart was selling with all those First Act guitars.
                          2 of my guitars are currently sporting Earnie Ball and one has D'Addario. I play with .08s and love the slippery slinky feel. I can bend up a couple of steps without killing my fingers. That doesn't help you with the drop tuning thing but if you ever change to E standard you should try it. Smoother than Jagger!
                          As far as brands, it's really all about preference. some take a bit longer to stretch into place than others. Which is a much bigger pain on the floyds than a hard tail.
                          I would suggest experimenting with some extremes in brand and price. I have no problem recording with a fresh set of EBs and getting a great tone from them.
                          Just like the variations of a guys taste in women, their taste in strings varies just as much. And they are deeply loyal to their brands.
                          Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                          2007 Jackson DK2M
                          1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                          2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                          2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

I decided to try DR tite fit's 10-56. Smell some drop C acation guys ? IMHO 10 is nice for high D, since I can do full bends (yes I some times bend 1st string), but 13 and 17 are too lose for bending, I need bit more resistance. I expect realy meaty sound of that 56 too !
                            Alexi likes the jeff healey 10-56 for drop C

Comment

The DDT 11s might be better for you

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                                The DDT 11s might be better for you
                                Local stores have only 10-60 and 10-46 sets of DDT. One store caries alot of DR's so Jeff set might be there. Also why you thing thoose would be better ?

Comment

Working...
                                X