No announcement yet.

Strings !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been using D'addario strings on all my guitars for years, and have no complaints on their performance.

I just switched to Elixir Polywebs on my Charvel pro mod and so far so good.

I also had the DR color coated strings, they're garbage. I can't comment on their regular strings though.

If you're bored and have time, Look up Scott Grove's video on strings on youtube, its like 45 minutes long and made me decide to try out some Elixirs.

Comment

^ Yeah, coated DR's suck (old ones, not sure how neon strings sound like). Might try Polywebs, since I don't like much tension on my strings, so it's harder to brake them - polywebs should last me atlest for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        I use GHS 10-46 on my fixed bridge fiddles.
        Crisp highs, but can still has a lot of warmth on the lower end.
        +1 (even with a Floyd)

I've tried D'Addario, not bad, just didn't seem to last.
        Elixir is great for a guitar not played much, I think they muffle tone a bit though.
        SIT I've tried, just not impressed, breaks easily on me for some unknown reason, and I rarely break strings.
        GHS (Carvin) is the only brand I've been satisfied with. They seem to fit me well on any guitar.
        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

GHS Boomers!
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

d'addario, have for years. 10's on 25.5" scale in E, 11's on 24.75" scale in E. no complaints they are cheap & made locally in NY. the only strings i wont use are dean markley, broke a string restrings a guitar while tuning up, & never bought another set after that. I did use GHS boomers slightly brighter than daddario's but not that noticable after the strings were broken in completely.

Comment

DR Tite-Fit 10-52 for E standard

I calculated my ideal string sets, but, since buying singles costs so much, I just get what's closest. Here are my calculations.

www.bangzero.org/stringtension/
              16# plains 25# wounds (on 25.5" scale)

E Standard
              .010 .013 .017 .030 .041 .055

Eb Standard
              .0105 .014 .018 .032 .044 .058

D Standard
              .011 .015 .019 .034 .046 .061

Db Standard
              .012 .016 .020 .036 .049 .065

C Standard
              .0125 .017 .021 .039 .052 .069

B Standard
              .013 .018 .022 .041 .055 .073

Bb Standard
              .014 .019 .024 .044 .058 .078

A Standard
              .015 .020 .025 .046 .061 .083

Ab Standard
              .016 .021 .027 .049 .065 .089

Tite Fits are the best strings, but DDTs/HiBeams/Dimebag sets aren't half bad either

Comment

^ wow, those are some heavy gauges ! Too bad I have skinny fingers

Comment

I just switched from GHS Boomers 9XL to GHS Progresives 10-52 and I'm really loving everything about them.

Comment

I have short nubby fingers, so the gauges aren't too heavy for me. My Ibanez has the 10-52 set right now in standard. Works great. People seem to forget to set their intonation properly. This actually affects playability. On both my V and my RG, the strings were very stiff because the saddles were so far forward. Proper intonation adjustment makes them much more flexible. Plus, thicker gauges let you run lower action.

Comment

Originally posted by kermitz View Post
                      I just switched from GHS Boomers 9XL to GHS Progresives 10-52 and I'm really loving everything about them.
                      Good choice man. 9s are too damn thin for even 27" scale guitars. Light top heavy bottom is awesome for metal. Everything sounds heavier when you dig in harder, but the standard 10-46 is too floppy to really dig in if you use thicker picks like Jazz IIIs. Anyone who has doubts about this should watch Mustaine play. He uses 10-52s and grinds into them hard. You gotta play heavy to sound heavy

Comment

Speaking of DRs - on 2 of my guitars with DR Titefits 10-46, the 10-13,17 strings all broke while detuning them. Just broke straight at the tuner. They were all of 2 days old. I've gone back to D'Addarios and no issues with the changing of tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by djpharoah View Post
                          Speaking of DRs - on 2 of my guitars with DR Titefits 10-46, the 10-13,17 strings all broke while detuning them. Just broke straight at the tuner. They were all of 2 days old. I've gone back to D'Addarios and no issues with the changing of tuning.
                          That's actually really crazy. I would contact DR. All 3 unwounds breaking is really absurd though. DR have been the strongest strings I've ever used. I have a hard time breaking them even with my recessed trem.

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                            That's actually really crazy. I would contact DR. All 3 unwounds breaking is really absurd though. DR have been the strongest strings I've ever used. I have a hard time breaking them even with my recessed trem.
                            Sounds crazy but a few people have told me the same thing happening to them.

Comment

Originally posted by djpharoah View Post
                              Sounds crazy but a few people have told me the same thing happening to them.
                              Hapened to me once. But still I think that DR's are great. D'addarios get black after a week, dunno why - I eat healthy and I don't have acidic sweat. Anyway you don't have to put too much preasure on DRs while stringing them up, many people forget that.

EDIT : Searched for GHS progressives on ebay ...

Last edited by Iivari; 03-31-2012, 01:58 AM.

Comment

I've switched over to Thomastik Power Brights. They are just awesome sounding and they las† just as long as coated strings but aren't, and have the best "feel" of any string I've used. THey are expensive but worth it since they last way longer than regular strings. I've had a set on one of my guitars for about 5 months now and they are still spanky.
                                2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                                Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Working...
                                X