Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a lot of tips for taking care of my new RR1 on the way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just fucking play the damn thing. You WILL knock it into something at some point whether you like it or not - it's inevitable. The sooner you come to grips with that the better if you ask me. The only way to keep it minty mint is to keep it in the case. Just take good care of it and give it love and don't worry about chips and dings. One tip for you though is to duct tape the end horns and the tip of the headstock for protection if you're going to gig with it.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

And don't fly with it.

Seriously.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
        My tip is to forget trying because it'll just make the inevitable blemish much worse.

x2, why I'd always try and buy used as that kind of takes the sting out of the first accident...
        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

after a couple of months you'll realize that it's not a Caravaggio painting and start raping the notes out of it - this is something that the guitar was meant to be used for in the first place
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            after a couple of months you'll realize that it's not a Caravaggio painting and start raping the notes out of it - this is something that the guitar was meant to be used for in the first place
            But its too sexy to bang up

Comment

That's why I buy old ones. I'm not scared to ding it if someone else started the process for me.

Comment

I enjoy tabacco use while playing. As long as you dont drop the burning part of the cigarette on the guitar, youll be fine. Wipe it down when youre done and wipe down the fretboard when changing strings youll be good. DONT put the cig between the strings and headstock. Not only is this inconvenient for smoking the cig, you could burn the guitar. I just pull a Slash and let it hang out of mouth like a limp noodle. The only time thats an issue is when playing the Kelly, the ashes like to collect on the heel. Of course, I dont even take the smoke out of my mouth to snowboard. I can wipe out and not even get it wet. No bull, Ive got pictures of that exact situation somewhere.

EDIT: Here it is, wiped out not 20 sec before the pic was taken.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Don't get carried away with fretboard oiling. Too much can actually be a bad thing and can cause the wood to soften causing frets to loosen, sprout etc. I'd say every 6 to 12 months is probably fine for a guitar you are regularly playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                    Don't get carried away with fretboard oiling. Too much can actually be a bad thing and can cause the wood to soften causing frets to loosen, sprout etc. I'd say every 6 to 12 months is probably fine for a guitar you are regularly playing.
                    +1

You don't need to "feed" the wood or whatever bullshit you hear on the Internet. A light coat of oil just to keep the wood from reacting too quickly to humidity changes.

Comment

I tried everything on ALL things wood, steel and paint and sperm works best!!!

For one it's free and I gotta endless supply.

Tommorow, I'm gonna schlack my front door and RR1!

BTW..always use the same rag and let it get a nice, stiff, waxy buildup..and never wash that magic rag.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

NICE..

I used to smoke 2 pks a day from age 13 to 30. I quit when Marlboro jumped to 2 bucks a pack. Then my kid was born so I quit. Then I knew it was some kind of conspearacy to impede my goals of getting a cancer kazoo
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I recomend a good scouring with 80 grit sandpaper with every string change. Really get in there, fretboard and espcially body to get out that luster. Any garden variety sandpaper will work but I prefer the 3M brand.
                          2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                          Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciate it.

One more thing that I am worried about....I read that white guitars over time turn yellow. DO Jackson's do this easily? I want it to stay snow white. I know that keeping it in the case and not smoking will help.

Comment

POly doesn't age like nitro and doesn't go yellow really. Obviously if you leave it in the sun, or smoke copious amount of fags indoors it might have an effect.

Oh yeah, better make it clear for our american friends I mean, 'Smoke Cigarettes' not 'Kill Homosexuals'.... Damn New World Colonies can't even speak the Queen's English!

Yeah smoking cigarettes is bad man. Twenty B&H cost me £7+ a day, I think that equates to a £2464.00 a year....or $3868.48.....it all goes towards paying the bankers bonuses and Politicians' expenses, which is for the greater good of the economy apparently yer know!....now what guitar could I buy for that money..

...But then if I spent that kind of money as a one off, I'd HAVE to take up smoking to calm my nerves, in case I chipped the thing...so it all works out in the end really, I keep lying to myself.

BTW, the UK Economy takes £18 Billion (UK Billion) a year from tax of fags, excluding Duty, employee tax and corporation tax.........yet the Health Service bill from smokers is only around 5.5 Billion a year...and they say we are a drain on the economy?....Yeah right, it'd be a third world country without us! I should give them up though all the same.

Think I will quit and buy a RR1T. Give em up! And the Crack!

Anyway, thinking about it, if all the legit UK smokers gave up overnight, the Bank of England would have to print £18 Billion's worth of Quantitive easing to compensate the loss of tax revenue, which would have the direct effect of devaluing our currency and rocketing inflation. Unfortunately, the net result of that to me, as a consumer would be to raise the price of a RR1T to around $3868.48 more to buy....

Actually thinking about it, Value Added Tax and Income Tax would also have to go up to accomodate the corresponding increase in Bankers Bonuses, because the £ will be worth less. So in fairness in real terms, a RR1T would cost even more.

SO what is the point! No one ever considers the macro economic implications of giving up smoking., selfish gits. Better keep smoking I say. Anyway I digress. All this is giving my a headache, I need a cigarette.
                              Last edited by ginsambo; 09-21-2011, 02:48 AM.
                              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                                Um...my tip is to stay away from woodchippers
                                ....and ceiling fans!

Think of it like taking ownership of a new Ferrari...
                                The performance parts need proper maintenance but if you wanna drive it then it`s gonna get some stone chips.

Play the shit out of it I say and don`t worry about the dings, it`s gonna happen!

Comment

Working...
                                X