No announcement yet.

pups for a bright guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first thoughts here are that it's something else in the electronics and not the pickup. I have a guitar like that, other than it's too dark but kind of muffled. I bought wired around the tone control and still have the same issue and now think it's the switch. If a TZ is too shrill, I wonder if you really have something acting as a blocker cap in there that's letting through highs and killing lows. Try wiring the pickup up directly to the output jack and see what happens.

Comment

Have you tried playing with the height at all first?

If a Tone Zone isn't fat enough... I don't know what will be.

A Bareknuckle Warpig, perhaps?
      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
        Have you tried playing with the height at all first?

If a Tone Zone isn't fat enough... I don't know what will be.

A Bareknuckle Warpig, perhaps?

Yeah, I've toyed with height and even with different pots. Dunno. Can't put my finger on it. Drives me crazy 'cuz it plays super sweet but doesn't sound full enough. The luthier who swaps in my pups definitely knows his shit. Wired & soldered soundly. Quality work there.

I guess my descriptors aren't adequate but the TZ in the Cali just sounds thin. When compared with a JB in the RR1, the jb sounds like it has hotter highs but still retains some beef in the mid and lows. Put up against the Blackout actives, well, WTF do you expect? lol!! The Blackout just buries the TZ as it is supposed to- more balanced and more output.

BTW- I had a miserable time getting ahold of Bare Knuckles. Guitar Asylum has totally fucked me on the last one I bought.Bought a Holy Diver for the Cali. After two months and having called to cancel the order, it arrives anyway and has the wrong fucking legs on it!!! Can't use it and BKP nor GA will exchange it without fees or more hassles.
        Last edited by vector; 08-30-2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

What's with the legs? Long version?

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            What's with the legs? Long version?
            Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              SH6N .
              +1
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Hmmm..wierd. I have different guitar/pup combos (Dimarzio mostly). My brightest by far is my USA "Floyd Rose Classic" Strat ..maple w/ PAF pro. I had a very similiar import Strat (HRR) with an XN2 and thought it sounded MUCH better through ANY Marshall I had. BUT it's perfect for my Bogner because it's a pretty dark sounding amp.

I don't really like it through my Marshall, but love it with my Bogner..food for thought.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh..I never liked EMGs. I find most players either love 'em or hate 'em. They're seem more consistant in different tone woods, but not as dynamic/natural as passive pups...if that makes sense.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                  X