pups for a bright guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
    SH-5 or PRAILS-Hot. Prails gives you the advantage of a super warm, hot P-90 tone if you like the versatility. If you haven't used a Custom you need to try one.
    I think I just might try a Custom...

Comment

If a custom doesn't do it, it's definitely the guitar...
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        If a custom doesn't do it, it's definitely the guitar...
        If a Custom Custom doesn't do it you mean

Maybe also try a Super3: tight bottom, chunk midrange, rolled off highs
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Full Shred is very bright.

If the Tone Zone is too bright, I don't think the Custom will do it.

Maybe an Invader. It's pretty dark, and definitely heavy.

Comment

I'd try the Super 3 or the Duncan Invader. The Custom Custom might work, too.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Have you tried checking all the solder joints? I had a guitar that had a cold solder joint that sounded like shit untill I went through em all and found it.

And no one says a Duncan Distortion. Pretty dark soundsing pickup. The 59 is a pretty warm pickup too. A gibson Iommi is a pretty fat sounding pickup too.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

The Duncan Distortion is a bright pickup. I use the SH6N in the neck spot on my SL2H and it almost sounds like a bridge pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  The Duncan Distortion is a bright pickup. I use the SH6N in the neck spot on my SL2H and it almost sounds like a bridge pickup.
                  I like bright neck pups, so I might have to try one of those some time! I also usually prefer the Duncan Jazz in the neck over a '59, simply because it is a little brighter.
                  A DiMarzio Super 2 is also bright and one of my favorites paired up with either an X2N or Super D. The Full Shred is also supposed to be bright, and Jackson paired that one up with the Invader on the Warriors.
                  Darker/warmer bridge pups with brighter neck pups seem to make more sense to me. My RR1T has a PATB2 paired up with a Jazz now, but the original JB actually did sound pretty decent in it.

Comment

I bought an SH6N exactly for that - I love bright neck pickups, too!

I needed a reverse zebra to go with a Custom I had (which I knew I wanted in the bridge) and I thought "hey, let's try something different" - and on paper it's one of the brighter high-output Duncans. It is super bright and hot, and still sounds pretty good clean. I love it!

Comment

Cool. One day I'll get one of them. But I've still got an X2N/Super 2 combo laying around that I took out of my old Warrior MG mutt (the one that Newc turned into the Halford ), plus a chrome-covered Tone Zone, a Norton, a Gibson BB Pro, a couple EMGs, and I've got no spare guitars to put them in at the moment.

Comment

I just put an X2N and a Fred into an all-maple (except for the ebony fretboard) and it really sounded great.
                        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I put a distortion in my fusion and it didn't sound bright at all. Basswood body with a maple fretboard. IDK to each is own I guess
                          It's pronounced soops

Comment

You might want to try a GFS Power Rails. I've had good luck with that one.

You could also try a Bare Knuckle Miracle man.

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                              I just put an X2N and a Fred into an all-maple (except for the ebony fretboard) and it really sounded great.
                              X2Ns usually sound good in pretty much everything. Mike Romeo uses one, and Steve Vai used to.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                                Cool. One day I'll get one of them. But I've still got an X2N/Super 2 combo laying around that I took out of my old Warrior MG mutt (the one that Newc turned into the Halford ), plus a chrome-covered Tone Zone, a Norton, a Gibson BB Pro, a couple EMGs, and I've got no spare guitars to put them in at the moment.
                                I have a pile of pickups at the moment myself... I need to list them and get rid of them before I get any bright ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X