Poll: do you use strap locks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
    uh.........how do those work?? I am trying to imagine their function.

They basically go over the button on the outside of the strap and provide enough mass & friction to prevent the button from pulling through the strap.
    (I had to look them up too after reading about them!)
    Last edited by DalyTek; 06-19-2011, 01:35 PM.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post

They basically go over the button on the outside of the strap and provide enough mass & friction to prevent the button from pulling through the strap.
      (I had to look them up too after reading about them!)
      I can see where they are effective, but it looks like either the strap wont come off, or its a real pain in the ass to get it off there.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I had Schallers but I switched to Dunlops as I became paranoid of the Schaller screws loosening as it had happened a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          hahaha, i guess nothing is fool proof!!! the dimarzio strap has always suited me, the schallers, you. good thing we all live in a world where there is product variety!!!!
          Yeh, just a note on that anything can fail, you could screw a strap on solid using 3" screws and 1" washers and it could still end up on the floor because the wood parted at some point or the screw broke
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Well, ideally you'd never take the strap off the guitar, so wearing it out by putting it on/taking it off wouldn't really happen.

However, that's the ideal, and not the reality. Hence, straplocks.

I had a pair of the Schallers once (the ones Rhoads used with the big chess-piece-looking knob). It separated all on its own and almost cost me a guitar.

After that, it was all DiMarzio ClipLocks for me. Yeah the clips can chew up your finish (especially on a Les Paul), but it's a small price to pay IMO. Had I known it was eating through the finish, I woulda wrapped it in something, but when I found it, the damage was done.

Still, it's better than having your guitar hit the floor.

I've also noticed a lot of people simply don't pay attention when they pick up a guitar - the strap is always folded under the button, and while they're busy not paying attention, the guitar falls off the strap.

Not a problem when it isn't my guitar, but my ex-singer almost did that with my LP once (before I switched it to the ClipLock). Luckily I was watching, and caught the guitar. I swapped out the strap right there.

I did like the ones that came with my USA ProMods, even though they were a PITA to get on the strap. They felt more secure than the Schaller, but I still woulda swapped them out for ClipLocks had I been gigging with them. It's simply not worth the risk IMO.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I actually read about those washers HERE a while ago. I tried it and Im hooked. They are a real tight fit ,once I was swinging the guitar by the straps to show the singer that they do indeed work.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                I can see where they are effective, but it looks like either the strap wont come off, or its a real pain in the ass to get it off there.
                isn't that the point?
                Hail yesterday

Comment

I've got at least one each of these systems, and they are all about the same. The Planet Waves locking straps are pretty darn good, too.

Comment

Scary Schaller stories! I guess I've always torqued them way down so that they're not going anywhere. The nice thing about the Grolsch ones is that you have to drink before you can have straplocks!
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                      The nice thing about the Grolsch ones is that you have to drink before you can have straplocks!
                      And you also end up with a roach clip (the ceramic part of the cap).

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        I've got at least one each of these systems, and they are all about the same. The Planet Waves locking straps are pretty darn good, too.
                        you even have a set of the Grolsch premium deluxe models?

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          isn't that the point?
                          Of course it is Gary, but how do you get the fucker in the guitar case if the strap wont come off?? my guitars wont go into the SKB cases with straps on them.

Comment

Working...
                          X