New Pickups for Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    I'm doing fine with my DiMarzios and Duncans and EMGs. Hell, I even love the Carvin C26 in my new 7-string I just got!
    Life must be boring with those tried and true pickups. Live on the edge a bit!

I'll deal. If you try one, and don't like it, I'll eat my...well, your...pickup... :idea:
    I like EL34s.

Comment

Holy Crap, Bare Knuckles are sure proud of their pickups!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
        the Miracle Man is the obvious answer. You'll get there with the Warpig, Aftermath and C-Bomb too (Ceramic Nailbomb)

EDIT: bear in mind that Zakk's tone to me is not 80s metal. If you want 80s metal you'll be best off with the regular Nailbomb, Cold Sweat, or Holy Diver
        Yeah, I know Zakk isn't 80's metal, just giving examples of what I want. I was really interested in Dimarzio's, just cuz I don't have a set. I want something different, something other than the same Duncans that are in all of my other Jacksons.

But $270 for Knuckles? Jeesh. Flames better shoot out of the Headstock for that, lol

Comment

Don't know what you are missing with a vintage DiMarzio super "D".Metal? hell yeah it is.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by rdamaral View Post
            Yeah, I know Zakk isn't 80's metal, just giving examples of what I want. I was really interested in Dimarzio's, just cuz I don't have a set. I want something different, something other than the same Duncans that are in all of my other Jacksons.

But $270 for Knuckles? Jeesh. Flames better shoot out of the Headstock for that, lol
            They are worth it. Sometimes you will find that you go through 2-3 sets of pups before you find what you want. The hand wind, materials... You can hear the difference.
            I sound like an ignorant fanboy but that is only because I too used to dismiss them as
            overpriced. I now have them in all my guitars and don't regret it for a second.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Anybody tried the Lace Deathbuckers?
              It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I pun an EMG 81 in my Model 2, and haven't looked back, I just picked up an ESP LTD and it came with DiMarzio EVO's, I didn't like the wiring job the guy did and it really sounded like shit. I re-wired it, replaced the pots, and WOW nice sound on my Blue Voodoo.
                We will know for the first time...
                If we are evil or divine...
                We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

Originally posted by The Poolman View Post
                  I pun an EMG 81 in my Model 2, and haven't looked back, I just picked up an ESP LTD and it came with DiMarzio EVO's, I didn't like the wiring job the guy did and it really sounded like shit. I re-wired it, replaced the pots, and WOW nice sound on my Blue Voodoo.
                  Love that Avatar, have it tattoo'd on the back of my leg, lol

Comment

OK, I think I decided to go with Dimarzio's. Now, whether to go with the Super D set, or a set of Tone Zone and Air Nortons.

What are your thoughts on the comparison between the two sets?

Comment

I put super d in the bridge and a paf pro in the neck of my soloist with a push pull phase shift and I am happy. I wanted a tone zone in the bridge, but couldnt find one in creme, so went with the super d which ive used for years. I get great tones from metal to jazz to blues to country.

Comment

I vote Invader. Got one in my Warrior Pro.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Invader is a evil ass pickup for metal. I have one in a 75' Flying V at the bridge and I have one in a single hum custom guitar. In the V ,I have always been on the fence with the sound. It still wails, allthough better at times depending on what I'm playing. In the single guitar,I also split it with a push pull for some reason way back when. Crazyist cowboy/blues twang I have ever heard.Nice heavy , snappy grunt and good leads with the full hum. Mine are vintage 1983'ish bridge models.I think this is when they first came out. They have their place. Some like them, some don't. I also really like Bare Knuckles.I typically email Tim Mills at Bare Knuckle for a recommendation. Application, type of wood construction, scale length. He has been spot on. I have a JB in a old Hamer Special that still bites pretty hard.

Comment

I ordered a Super D and Breed (neck) in white last week from Matt's. Also got white pup rings and a Cap for the Volume Mod.

Cant wait to see the white/white on the DK2, and can't wait to hear the difference.

Comment

I replaced the EMG 81 in my RR24 with a Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-2 and really love it. I also have a couple Charvel Naturals with Custom 5s, which sound great - really meaty. Not as high gain as the AHB-2, though.

For your purpose, I'd recommend the AHB-2.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                                I replaced the EMG 81 in my RR24 with a Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-2 and really love it. I also have a couple Charvel Naturals with Custom 5s, which sound great - really meaty. Not as high gain as the AHB-2, though.

For your purpose, I'd recommend the AHB-2.
                                I have a Jackson SLSMG soloist and I pulled the 81/85 from it and installed a Seymour Duncan Blackout Metal in the bridge and a LiveWire classic 2 in the neck and man, totally brutal. That's my Dark Funeral sounding guitar.

Hail DARK FUNERAL!

Comment

Working...
                                X