Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buzz Feiten tuning system...... was it a fad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Peterson virtual strobe, not the flip version. the older one. it has a GTR tuning mode on it I use, but I doesnt call it sweetened.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
      I have a Peterson virtual strobe, not the flip version. the older one. it has a GTR tuning mode on it I use, but I doesnt call it sweetened.
      I have no idea if the GTR tuning mode is sweetened but you should be able to enter tuning offsets for each string which will get you sweetened tuning.

Comment

I use the preset sweetened guitar tuning on my Strobostomp except when using the Anderson...it definitely helps, but not as much as the actual Buzz Feiten System (which requires moving the nut...not something I want to do on my other guitars).

Comment

I find that I tune with my peterson, then I go thru and hit two strings at a time, usually fretted at the 7th fret, and fine tune by ear, you can hear the wavering of the notes. It is usually very minor adjustment, but I can hear it. and I do same fret with both strings, except the 3rd and 2nd string I do 6th and 7th fret. just play 2 strings, and adjust if there is wavering. its easy to hear. once that is set, its rock solid, balls on tuning to me. To me that is about as good as I can get. I am not going to start modding guitars with tuning systems. I have a couple of friends that tune this way as well. 2 of them in a band together, and they sound great when playing together. no tuning discrepancies at all. its never going to be perfect given the physical nature of the guitar, but for all practical purposes, it works really well.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

You're tuning by 4ths then.

Comment

[QUOTE=Trem;1307631] "anyway it has always drove me nuts how guitars are never really in tune across the neck, and we just have to learn to compensate for it."

Oh, thank God! I thought it was just my guitars!
              8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                I think washburn still uses it and esp uses it but calls it something else.
                Washburn puts it on all of their guitars, from their cheapies to the CS N4's.

Comment

Surely intonation is more to do with fret spacing, and cannot be fixed perfectly with finely adjustable bridges?

I mean its arbitrary that guitars have straight evenly spaced frets, which all appear to make it look like every string has notes at identical intervals.
                  But if you went all scientific and measured each string individually you would find each note interval fails to line up exactly with the physically placed frets, you would get variation because of the varying guages, as well as the string height demanding some slight 'bend' in the note.

Adjusting the length of the playable string would do very little to correct the accuracy and line up each note with every corresponding fret. The best you can hope for in general is lining up maybe the 12th fret harmonic in identical positions and trying to match as many octaves as possible.

There have been many fretboards with slanting frets which consider this problem and show that this tuning concept is largely nonsense, and another 'fork out $$$$' to fix an unfixable problem.

Comment

IMO as a luthier and former licensed retrofitter, BF is for the most part Snake oil. Not really anything other than halfassed calculations and incorrect assumptions that defy the laws of physics, haphazardly and randomly appplied to an even tempered system.

When you read the documents, it appears that he actually arrived at an actual "improvement" more by chance than by science, and improvement is stretching it. Half of your chords will be more in tune, and the other half will be even more out of whack.

If you´re used to the standard keys of e, d and c and never deviate from them, you´´ll be fine... but if you want to get exotic you´ll quickly realize just how fucked you really are with BF.

The bottom line is that unless your are playing a fretless instrument, it is in absolute defiance of the most basic laws of physics to be in tune everywhere across the neck. Therefore it is impossible. This "equal out of tuneness in all keys" is a basic fact who´s acceptance is automatically implied when one picks up an even tempered instrument such as a guitar, banjo, piano, or accordion
                    Last edited by Zerberus; 01-30-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X