Summer Namm 2008, Nashville!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacksonite View Post
    and you know what else, tell Fender to say the hell with the "gentleman's agreement" with Gibson, and let Pablo show the world how to make a fuggin REAL LP style guitar...
    ...and firebirds, and roundhorn Vs.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Seems to me that the gentleman´s agreement isn´t on anymore, since Gibson owns Valley Arts. I don´t see any difference between VA building strats and teles and Jackson building Gibson-type guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post

sully

+1

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
          Seems to me that the gentleman´s agreement isn´t on anymore, since Gibson owns Valley Arts. I don´t see any difference between VA building strats and teles and Jackson building Gibson-type guitars.
          The fact that Fender owns Hamer, who continues to make explorers and V's, might be an even better argument. Although, legend has it (jump in here Hamer-heads!) that Hamer & Gibson have had a long standing agreement of their own, which apparently Fender's acquisition hasn't affected (so far).

Comment

Hamer's designs were proven to be different enough from Gibson to be well within the limits of their trademarks, IIRC. I'm no expert though.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Hamer's designs were proven to be different enough from Gibson to be well within the limits of their trademarks, IIRC. I'm no expert though.
              I don't believe this is the case. Besides, when you look at this guitar, you can't tell me you don't think "Gibson" at first glance. That's what legally matters.

Comment

it takes only a certain percentage of difference to make it legal to make tho...

thats how PRS won, it was different enough to make people seek it out and know it when they see it.
                Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Originally posted by Varth Dader View Post
                  I don't believe this is the case. Besides, when you look at this guitar, you can't tell me you don't think "Gibson" at first glance. That's what legally matters.
                  Same thing with the Hamer Standard. First glance and it looks like an Explorer to me. The Jackson Explorer at least had a pointy headstock. The Hamer headstock is kinda similar to the Gibson design.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

sully
                    Yes. F-birds...

Comment

For the same reason Gretsch doesn't make Strats: they are separate companies under one umbrella.

Gibson isn't making Strats, Valley Arts is. What the subsidiary does is not what the parent does.

I understand that folks miss the old Jackson roundhorn Vs and Explorers and other "lawsuit" shapes, but whenever the topic is brought up, let's try to keep the facts straight, and not twist them around to suit our own personal agendas.

This isn't the Nancy Grace forum.

Jackson has plenty of their own shapes, they don't need Gibson's designs.

Once you open that door, it swings both ways - you don't really want to see someone playing a Gibson Kelly or Fender Rhoads or other such nonsense, do you? Especially with the "market flooding" potential those two giants possess?

Every hot new act will be given brand new Gibson Warriors and Fender Soloists, and the Jackson brand name will die.

Then what?
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

sully
                        +1

Not to mention Kramer - which is also owned by Gibson -building superstrat and RR-like models, etc. ...Oh wait. That's OK because Kramer built those models back in their 80s heyday, right? Well, Jackson built custom roundhorn Vs, Explorers, and Firebirds back in the 80s, too. So why isn't that OK?

Clearly, the "gentleman's agreement" is not a two-way street with both parties holding up their end of the bargain. I just don't get why FMIC still wants to hold up their end, when the other party isn't. ...Not to mention that, from a legal perspective, the "gentleman's agreement" is very likely an illegal anti-competitive practice by two market-dominating firms.

Gibson isn't making Strats, Valley Arts is. What the subsidiary does is not what the parent does.
                        Jackson/Charvel is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fender Musicial Insturments Corporation, its parent company. And your whole argument falls apart right there.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                          +1

Not to mention Kramer - which is also owned by Gibson -building superstrat and RR-like models, etc. ...Oh wait. That's OK because Kramer built those models back in their 80s heyday, right? Well, Jackson built custom roundhorn Vs, Explorers, and Firebirds back in the 80s, too. So why isn't that OK?

Clearly, the "gentleman's agreement" is not a two-way street with both parties holding up their end of the bargain. I just don't get why FMIC still wants to hold up their end, when the other party isn't. ...Not to mention that, from a legal perspective, the "gentleman's agreement" is very likely an illegal anti-competitive practice by two market-dominating firms.

Jackson/Charvel is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fender Musicial Insturments Corporation, its parent company. And your whole argument falls apart right there.
                          Whatever you want to believe

Comment

For the same reason Gretsch doesn't make Strats: they are separate companies under one umbrella.

I understand that folks miss the old Jackson roundhorn Vs and Explorers and other "lawsuit" shapes, but whenever the topic is brought up, let's try to keep the facts straight, and not twist them around to suit our own personal agendas.

Once you open that door, it swings both ways - you don't really want to see someone playing a Gibson Kelly or Fender Rhoads or other such nonsense, do you? Especially with the "market flooding" potential those two giants possess?

Every hot new act will be given brand new Gibson Warriors and Fender Soloists, and the Jackson brand name will die.

Then what?
                            Well, I for one don´t have a personal agenda in this... I don´t like the Gibson shapes, wouldn´t buy the Jackson versions and I don´t advocate that anyone should copy stuff, I´m just curious about this whole intricate situation that I know very little about. You make very good points, Newc, but I don´t get how VA under Gibson can build strats without violating the "agreement" and Jackson can´t do Gibson types under Fender? Is there a difference in ownership, or am I missing the point?

I´m absolutely not trying to pick a fight or ruffle any feathers, I just want to be educated on the subject... but I guess my opening statement might have been a bit brash. Sorry, guys.

Comment

Then what?
                              You're actually proving the point that you disagree with in that statement. The bottom line is that fans of Jackson would like to see these models return. Hamer is under the same FMIC umbrella as Jackson.

Comment

Anyone compare the VA Strats to the Fenders? How close are they?

Do the new Charvels bear any licensing info for the bodies like for the headstocks?

Or has Fender accepted the fact that they have a Classic Design as far as the body goes, and focus on protecting the headstock and logo more than the body?

Comment

Working...
                                X