What's the deal with the EVH Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motorcop71 View Post
    I got it from a reliable source yesterday that they are trying to make it so that every dealer gets the amps on the same day, June 14. They aren't allowed to advertise them before that. My source also said the street price for a 100watt half-stack would be about 2 grand. I am going to bring my Splawn Quickrod in for a comparison at the store owner's request. I bet the 5150-3 is a great amp. I am curious to see if Fender can do a real rock amp. I am expecting it to sound like a cross between a Marshall and a Soldano, maybe with a nice fender clean channel. I think that's what they tried to do with the Peavey 5150, which I had and it served me well for many years. It was a way to get some of that Soldano-type vibe without breaking the bank. I will report back once I have had the chance to play one of the fenders.

A 5150 sounds nothing like an SLO. Not even close IMO. I have both and have had multiples of each and they are worlds apart. I don't even think it sounds like any Marshall at all. The 5150 is a great head IMO though. Just not a Marshall or an SLO.

I can't wait to here the III though. The NAMM clips had a nice tone.

Comment

i'd just go with a 5150
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCw4Es1ARzY
      http://www.soundclick.com/milkmen

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
        I got one too...

************ That white is going to show everything... think ill
        bumblebee mine in yellow! (Black head) Oh...did i say "Mine"?? :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by motorcop71 View Post
          I got it from a reliable source yesterday that they are trying to make it so that every dealer gets the amps on the same day, June 14. They aren't allowed to advertise them before that. My source also said the street price for a 100watt half-stack would be about 2 grand. I am going to bring my Splawn Quickrod in for a comparison at the store owner's request. I bet the 5150-3 is a great amp. I am curious to see if Fender can do a real rock amp. I am expecting it to sound like a cross between a Marshall and a Soldano, maybe with a nice fender clean channel. I think that's what they tried to do with the Peavey 5150, which I had and it served me well for many years. It was a way to get some of that Soldano-type vibe without breaking the bank. I will report back once I have had the chance to play one of the fenders.
          ************ The 14th is correct... some say... that a few lucky
          dudes got to play them already !!!!!!!!!!! Oh ..not me... But its
          more VHT/Soldano imo, but nails the EVH tone straight outta the amp!
          "RED" channel max gain, and presence... Sick "Mean Streets Tone!!
          Mid channel can be "Queenesque"... or gained to be a near perfect
          Bad Company/Styx tone. Clean is "Twin" like... Pretty good guess's
          on my part, since of course i could never actually play one for an hour,
          before ANYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!! :ROTF: Cant pick it up until the 28th
          though... that i believe is a non neg. rule from Fender And enough of
          this "It will cost what a new car costs crap"... I cant buy a new car
          for $2800.00! Its good to be First !!

Comment

Hard to believe it's only $2-3k. Is it built in Mexico?

Comment

So I go to http://www.guitarcenter.com/evh and it's all about the guitar, NOTHING about the amp

Plus no list or mention of Platinum dealers
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
                Hard to believe it's only $2-3k. Is it built in Mexico?
                Probably built by Ed Roman! Im surprised he doesnt have his slaves
                build replica Frankenstrats for those 3 lawyers, so that he makes more
                profit? :ROTF:

Comment

Last edited by cookiemonster2; 06-16-2007, 09:48 PM.

Comment

You were the first!!!

Congrats bro. I bet it will be a sick amp. I can't wait to A/B it with my Splawn. Good luck with it and please post some clips when you get it. As far as price goes, it seems any really quality amp is getting to be around that range. You gotta pay to play.

And let me clarify a previous statement regarding the 5150. I have never owned a Soldano SLO but I have had the pleasure of playing through a couple. IMHO the 5150 sounded like a cross between the Soldano-type gain/saturation and a Marshall-type gain. Not exactly either, but for the price, a pretty darn good amp. I got my original 5150 head when they first came out for $699.00 brand new. If I had that next to a new SLO to buy for three-grand, unless I was extremely wealthy, I would choose the 5150 eveytime and pocket the rest. It got me to where I wanted to go. But thats just me. My ultimate tone I am still chasing. My Splawn is pretty sick, but I am still in the honeymoon period. Time will tell if this is the one. As far as hot-rodded Marshall tone goes, it's a really great amp.

Comment

nevermind...
                      Last edited by cookiemonster2; 06-16-2007, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I guess im lucky with tone...(considering i was lost just 2 months ago,
                        and drove everyone crazy around here!) With my VHT 2/90/2
                        and ADA MP1 thru a GT-8 and out to a VHT FB 4/12 cab, for the left
                        channel and then out to 2 Crate G-212 cabs...i have what is to
                        my ears 95% of the tone that George Lynch has on Youtube's Vid...
                        Lynch in the Studio"... where he is doing overdubs and adding tracks
                        to an album in 94' i think? "Dance of the Dogs"... etc. Anyway...you hear his tone...its what i
                        have in my room! So it can only get crazier adding the 5150 III !
                        I too love the old 5150 brutal attack...its just that it was a hummer,
                        and had allot of feedback noise when not playing.. The new EVH is
                        dead quiet! Then just slams you in the face without warning. :-))

Comment

Just received the new AMS catalog and they are in there. $2000

Comment

I just saw one today in a Sam Ash on Long Island. It was black and had a price of $1995 for the head and $1099 for the cab. Looked real nice. Didn't have a chance to try it but just as well .....3 GRAND for a half-stack. Not in my price range!!!!
                            Guitars:
                            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                            1988 Model 2,
                            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                            RR3
                            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                            2005 SG Special

Comment

I have a Black one on my floor now, still waiting on my white one! Also got in the EVH Strat (25K) if anyone is interested! NapaMusicSupply.com, we are Fenders latest Custom shop dealer for Jackson/Charvel as well as being full on EVH dealers!

Shibs
                              Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                                I just saw one today in a Sam Ash on Long Island. It was black and had a price of $1995 for the head and $1099 for the cab. Looked real nice. Didn't have a chance to try it but just as well .....3 GRAND for a half-stack. Not in my price range!!!!
                                Hell, that's nothing... I've got Diezel's here that are $4500.00 for the head alone!
                                Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Working...
                                X