Kahler Tremolos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kahler Tremolos

I always wondered the same thing. I have played a few custom shop Hamers back in the day that had the Kahler Pro and a Floyd Nut and they weren`t modified, some players new which combo to go with and that is what I would do and will do on my next CS Jackson. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Hey, when players like King and Mustaine are using Kahlers…………what do you have to lose?

Rock on!!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tone, ultra-deep dives, respect [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Seriously, if the Kahler was redesigned so that the stings locked at the bridge similar to a Floyd, and it had a Floyd-style nut, and the saddles themeselves were solid instead of rollers, I'd consider one. Yeah you can't do warbles (we're talking the old stud-mount type, not a Spyder or other 2-point pivot type or the 3310).

I've had old 80's Kahlers (back in the 80s, even), and the only flaws I found with them were the "double-nut" and not being able to lock the string at the bridge, and there's too many moving parts for the saddle - roller with a hole mounted on a clamp with a hole on a saddle arm with a hole. Someone used to make replacement parts that were one-piece solid saddles for Kahlers. Used to see the ads in GFTPM and Hit Parader.
      Anyhoo, I like the Kahler's ability to get slide-style tones - I used to play "You Shook Me" (Zeppelin) with a Kahler, and it sounded as smooth as using a slide. A Floyd can't do that, even with 5 springs.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yes, I like Kahlers and they are very well made and engineered.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I prefer Kahlers. I have a fixed bridge on my Big Head modified hot rod flame model 7, for which I was the one to put Paul in touch with Kahler. The new Kahlers are very well made. I find the fit and finish to be cleaner and smoother than on original versions that I have seen.

I am not a Floyd fan. The saddles break too easily if over tightened. The saddles are different sizes so you have to keep a bunch on hand and they aren't cheap. I was forever tightening the screws on the back of the guitar. My bridges were always on an angle to get the set up right, though I never used a quarter under the edge of the plate.

I understand that I am in the minority, but a Kahler bridge wiith a Floyd nut sounds damn good to me.

Comment

Floyd or bust. No Kahlers for me, they are craaaap.

Based on the mixed responses here though, it sounds like giving customers a choice would be a good thing.

Comment

If I had the money for a new guitar, I'd love a red dual-hum strat with a flatmount Kahler & pointy Charvel headstock.

Primarily a Floyd user, but there is something inherently cool & old school about a Kahlered guitar.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I have passed on many good deals because the guitar had a frickin' Kahler on it. They aren't for me.

However, to answer the question truthfully - would I pick the guitar with the Kahler or the one with the Floyd? Answer: None of them. Well, if I HAD TO pick one, it would be the Floyd - but since most modern Floyd designs are recessed, I'd probably just sell it once I'd found another old Charvel.

Why aren't any guitars offered with non-recessed Floyds these days? I'd like to see top-mounted Floyds with a "pull-up route" under it, like on the Charvel 650XL.

Comment

I'd take a Kahler over a Floyd any day. For my next CS I wanted to get a 7 string with a trem. Kahler said it would be $650 for a 7 string Kahler, and I am seriously considering it.
                  ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

nope!
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Funny .. the kahler guys don't rip the floyded product but the floyd guys rip the kahler product.. what's wrong with offering both ..it's all about flavor ..
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Not all Floyd guys do.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Kahler fixed bridge is great.
                          I like these better than Floyd. It allows me to adjust each string height.
                          Only wish they would offer a Black fixed bridge again so I can order something.

Comment

I'll take the Floyd since it's not made of car parts. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would definitely be interested in a new Jackson with a kahler (preferably with a floyd-style lock nut).
                              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Funny .. the kahler guys don't rip the floyded product but the floyd guys rip the kahler product..

[/ QUOTE ]

Insecurity maybe?
                                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Working...
                                X