No announcement yet.

San Dimas - Decoding S/N Determining Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told that the postition of the MADE IN USA logo can determine date of build as well...for instance like mine MADE IN USA is at the end of the N in Jackson and some have the MADE IN USA under the K below the Jackson logo.

True or False?
    "Everything is bigger in Texas"

Comment

Originally posted by txrob779 View Post
      I was told that the postition of the MADE IN USA logo can determine date of build as well...for instance like mine MADE IN USA is at the end of the N in Jackson and some have the MADE IN USA under the K below the Jackson logo.

True or False?
      Seems like that change happened between 85 and 86. I'm not sure it can be used as a 100% reliable indicator of age, though.

Comment

Would the date be on the inside of the neck where it bolts on or not?
        13' Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro ii - Alpine White
        05' Gibson Les Paul Classic - Ebony
        USA Jackson SL-2
        USA Jackson SL-1
        Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
        Marshall 1965A 4x10
        Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

True or False?

It's a rough estimate. They put the Made In USA wherever they could fit it, but mostly in the San Dimas-made stuff you'll find it under the logo, and after the logo on the Ontario models.

One important thing to remember is that the same people who built the San Dimas ones also built the Ontario-made models.

Note that's Ontario California, not Canada. They didn't leave the people and tools and equipment in San Dimas, so yeah, your Ontario Strat is gonna feel and sound and play just like the one made in San Dimas a few months before.

Here's a handy map to keep:

Note that the "San Dimas" facility was actually located in Glendora. It's not uncommon for the mailing address to be serviced by a post office in another, neighboring city, especially if that one's closer to the physical address.

Ontario is only a few miles from San Dimas/Glendora - not enough for a barometric pressure or humidity change that would affect the wood, paint, etc etc.

The biggest factor that affects the differences between a guitar made just a few miles away is the person doing the work. One person may shave a neck differently than another, for example.

There was no Feng Shui/Force/Mojo or other mystical/ethereal/intangible influence in the building in Gendora that made it better or even different than the one in Ontario.
          I'm sure there were differences in the overall quality of the building, given that small businesses will usually start off in an affordable location and then upgrade to a better-built/better-condition building, but none of that seeps into the wood.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by axetogrind View Post
            Would the date be on the inside of the neck where it bolts on or not?
            It should be in the neck pocket, plainly visible unless it's been painted over, which could suggest a refinish, but may be a factory-done refin.

It may also be in the trem cavity under the springs.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey Newc, thanks allot for that great information. The Ontario thing has been something that I just don't understand. What I mean by that is that I put this guitar up for sell/trade on another forum and got the whole "that's not a real San Dimas" bit. True it may have been made in another location, but as you mentioned it's a minor geographical difference and the guitar was made by the same custom guitar builders that worked at the San Dimas facility.
              If you don't mind I'm going to use your map to back-up my point.

Thanks again!

- Rick
              USA Jackson SL-2
              USA Jackson SL-1
              Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
              Marshall 1965A 4x10
              Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                It should be in the neck pocket, plainly visible unless it's been painted over, which could suggest a refinish, but may be a factory-done refin.

It may also be in the trem cavity under the springs.
                FYI - The guitar was made on 10/26/87. It was under the cavity cover behind the springs. It was kind of cool to see the original handwriting.

Thanks again for the help!!
                USA Jackson SL-2
                USA Jackson SL-1
                Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
                Marshall 1965A 4x10
                Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Here is some more info for you. The Custom shop has always been in CA, Either Glendora with indeed a San Dimas P.O. Box or Ontario, CA. In early 86 the last SD Charvel and or Jackson was made on sight there and moved to Ontario, many many late Chavels and Jacksons still have the SD neck plates. Until then Charvel was THE guitar to have, almost 1 offs but some guitar retailers bought 8 ot 10 at a time. The 80's metal stars bought the alot, Lynch, DeMartini, Cambell etc. Grover Jackson decided to market USA made Jackson as The brand and farmed out the Charvel line to Japan....btw the tooling and stuff was all based on the pointy SD Charvels. The early ones late 86 and 87s are KILLER guitars for the price. The fury of Jackson orders really came after the RR model was see played by Randy himself and catapolted the Jackson brand into the fore front.

But, if you have a SD Charvel (with a black or gold logo Made In USA) it's worth conciderably more than the Jackson, expecially the Stratheads. A die hard group of guys has a data base on a board and most every model serial # still accounted for which I think is in the 4000 piece range. A pointy Charvel is about $1200/$1500 and a Strathead in the $2500 range.
                  Last edited by txrob779; 03-01-2009, 09:47 AM.
                  "Everything is bigger in Texas"

Comment

Here is sme more info for you. The Custom shop has always been in CA, Either Glendora with indeed a San Dimas P.O. Box. In early 86 the last SD Charvel and or Jackson was made on sight there. Until the Charvel was THE guitar to have, almost 1 offs but some guitar retailers bought 8 ot 10 at a time. Grover Jackson decided to market USA made Jackson The brand and farmed out the Charvel line to Japan....btw the tooling and stuff was all based on the pointy SD Charvels. The early ones late 86 and 87s are KILLER guitars for the price. The fury of Jackson orders really came after the RR model was see played by Randy himself and catapolted the Jackson brand into the for front.

But, it you have a SD Charvel (with a black or gold logo Made In USA) it's worth conciderably more than the Jackson, expecially the Stratheads. A die hard gruop of guys has a data base on abour every model still accounted for which I think is in the 4000 piece ranne. A pointy Charvel is about $1200/$1500 and a Strathead in the $2500 range.

That's great information. Thanks for sharing that. This is kind of fun to learn about. To me, it's a great story.

Thanks
                    USA Jackson SL-2
                    USA Jackson SL-1
                    Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
                    Marshall 1965A 4x10
                    Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

True or False?
                      False. If the logo is underneath, it's almost certainly '86 or earlier. However I have two '86 built guitars where made in the usa is after the logo. If you look closely on these guitars you can actually see where they cut off the made in usa part of the logo decal and moved it from underneath to after so that it would fit better on the headstock. You'll notice that on a lot of guitars with made in the usa under the logo, the "made in the usa" is so close to the edge that the very bottom gets a bit smeared out.
                      Last edited by Bert; 03-01-2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        It's a rough estimate. They put the Made In USA wherever they could fit it, but mostly in the San Dimas-made stuff you'll find it under the logo, and after the logo on the Ontario models.

One important thing to remember is that the same people who built the San Dimas ones also built the Ontario-made models.

Note that's Ontario California, not Canada. They didn't leave the people and tools and equipment in San Dimas, so yeah, your Ontario Strat is gonna feel and sound and play just like the one made in San Dimas a few months before.

Here's a handy map to keep:

Note that the "San Dimas" facility was actually located in Glendora. It's not uncommon for the mailing address to be serviced by a post office in another, neighboring city, especially if that one's closer to the physical address.

Ontario is only a few miles from San Dimas/Glendora - not enough for a barometric pressure or humidity change that would affect the wood, paint, etc etc.

The biggest factor that affects the differences between a guitar made just a few miles away is the person doing the work. One person may shave a neck differently than another, for example.

There was no Feng Shui/Force/Mojo or other mystical/ethereal/intangible influence in the building in Gendora that made it better or even different than the one in Ontario.
                        I'm sure there were differences in the overall quality of the building, given that small businesses will usually start off in an affordable location and then upgrade to a better-built/better-condition building, but none of that seeps into the wood.
                        Thanx for the very informative info! Cheers!

Comment

But, if you have a SD Charvel (with a black or gold logo Made In USA) it's worth conciderably more than the Jackson, expecially the Stratheads. A die hard group of guys has a data base on a board and most every model serial # still accounted for which I think is in the 4000 piece range. A pointy Charvel is about $1200/$1500 and a Strathead in the $2500 range.
                          I would love to see the database if you know the guys' email or have a link?

Comment

Pretty cool map there, Newc. Did you center the circles right on the actual addresses?

I would have....BTW I have the actual addresses....somewhere. We should do another thread with a map showing all 3 factories!
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Jackson Shops and Golf Courses.... What a way to live!!
                              USA Jackson SL-2
                              USA Jackson SL-1
                              Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
                              Marshall 1965A 4x10
                              Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Don't remember the exact Ontario address but it starts with 4452 since this a shot of the building from Jan 2003, last year at Ontario.
                                Rudy
                                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                                X