San Dimas - Decoding S/N Determining Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas - Decoding S/N Determining Value

Hey guys. Just picked up my first San Dimas in a trade and as wondering how I can determine the Year and Build Date by the S/N.
    Also wondering how I would determine the guitars dollar value especially since the re-sale market is so topsy turvy right now.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Here are a couple of pics. The SN is 2225.

13' Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro ii - Alpine White
    05' Gibson Les Paul Classic - Ebony
    USA Jackson SL-2
    USA Jackson SL-1
    Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
    Marshall 1965A 4x10
    Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Last San Dimas-made Jackson was 1505. Anything after that was made in Ontario.

Can't tell you the year, though. Might try the serial number chart here (under Resources at the top).

Value is also hard to determine. Yours looks like a metallic gold/shoreline gold crackle, which I've not seen before. However, rarity doesn't mean valuable in this case. Firecrackles are more popular because that was the "catalog" finish.

However, yours would normally get bonus points for having a Floyd instead of a Kahler, but it's a JT-6, which wasn't really that great in a lot of people's minds. The studs and inserts are oversized as well, which means replacing them is a nightmare.

And of course the nut.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Last San Dimas-made Jackson was 1505. Anything after that was made in Ontario.

Can't tell you the year, though. Might try the serial number chart here (under Resources at the top).

Value is also hard to determine. Yours looks like a metallic gold/shoreline gold crackle, which I've not seen before. However, rarity doesn't mean valuable in this case. Firecrackles are more popular because that was the "catalog" finish.

However, yours would normally get bonus points for having a Floyd instead of a Kahler, but it's a JT-6, which wasn't really that great in a lot of people's minds. The studs and inserts are oversized as well, which means replacing them is a nightmare.

And of course the nut.

Thanks. According to the chart it's a Custom Shop between the years of 87'-89'. At least the best I can tell.

As far as determining a dollar value is there a range at least? $500-$800, $800-$1200 ect. I sure hope I got a fair trade on this..
      I mean under normal circumstances anyway. It's hard to read the market the way it is now. I know I didn't ever used to see a San Dimas of any sort for under a grand..
      Last edited by axetogrind; 02-25-2009, 08:17 PM.
      USA Jackson SL-2
      USA Jackson SL-1
      Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
      Marshall 1965A 4x10
      Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Anything made before 90 is technically a Custom Shop.
        As for the value, it's an Ontario bolt on. $500 to $800 range.
        -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. To add a little to the topic, I'd have to say this guitar plays incredibly well. Plays better than my Soloist and sustains better than my LP. Great guitar!!!
          USA Jackson SL-2
          USA Jackson SL-1
          Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
          Marshall 1965A 4x10
          Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Hi there. The main Jackson website (www.jackson.com) might have helpful info on their support page. There are price lists, but they only go as far back as 1994, unfortunatley for us.
            Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              Anything made before 90 is technically a Custom Shop.
              As for the value, it's an Ontario bolt on. $500 to $800 range.

"Technically", yes, but they also had "common" models with commonly-ordered features that they built on a regular basis of their own volition. Not every Jackson made before 1990 was ordered by a dealer or customer.

That particular type of model could be found in many stores across the country - single-hum Strat-style with Floyd, unbound rosewood board with dots, solid color or graphic finish was a pretty popular choice by that time thanks to EVH, so it's logical to assume that Jackson would build them and wait for the orders to come in, rather than wait for the orders to come in and then build them.

Plus, they were making USA-versions of the Charvel Model models - Jackson was the USA brand, Charvel was the import brand. Both lines had similar offerings.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My Jackson Custom Shop was is number #3744 made in 1987 in Ontario, CA with San Dimas plate and parts. I think in 86 they moved to Ontario and had a surplus of SD parts.....

Here is mine, paid $700 for it....some good friends on another board say, $700-$900
                I honestly concur with another post, my guitar is most likey a San Dimas Charvel with a Jackson headstock plate and Jackson neck plate. It feels and plays exactly like every San Dimas Charvel I have ever played, especially w/ the unfinished maple board.
                Last edited by txrob779; 02-26-2009, 07:54 AM.
                "Everything is bigger in Texas"

Comment

$900 is a bit high, 700 is more realistic. ive a HRF graphic'd strat, dated 10-86, paid $750 about a yr ago, same guy sold me a 14xx serial#, dated 4-86 dinky for under $500, its beat to crap but still pretty rare.

Comment

I paid $900 last month for my '87, but it was in excellent condition, bengal graphic, ebony board, and OFR (converted from JT6). I prolly could have got it for $850, but I just HAD to hit the BIN...doh!

Comment

i'm thinking yours is an 87 because of the trem...my soloist (pictured below) is an 88 with a crackle finish over metallic red so they're not unheard of...just rare...and noticew mine has the good schaller jackson trem so my guess would be they started using the trem on mine in 88...of course mine is a little strange...a san dimas cavity route in the back and a slightly smaller logo than normal...d.m.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Hey DM sweet axe...but you need to get after that JT590 with a toothbrush and WD40!

Comment

i know i know...lol...i guess crud doesnt contribute to tone or mojo...lol...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Concur. I have #2160 and the build date on it is 04-12-87.

JT6, single hum, single volume.
                            Last edited by J.C. Harrist; 02-27-2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
                              i know i know...lol...i guess crud doesnt contribute to tone or mojo...lol...d.m.
                              Screw mojo! Better to unleash some wild tremolo flutters and spatter the front row with oil!!

Comment

Working...
                              X