The White Bengal Strat has arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The White Bengal Strat has arrived!

OK I don't have the "money shots" yet, just some shots of a work in progress. This is the '87 Jackson Strat that I won in the auction discussed in this thread.

All in all, I am very pleased. I have been playing this thing solid for a week, and haven't even touched the setup. Normally I am more of a neck-thru WR1 kind of guy, and dinky's feel like toys in my hands. This thing is no dinky! This is the full-size strat body, and it is SOLID. Everything is nice and tight, no neck pocket cracks, and HEAVY. My bathroom scale has this guitar at almost 10 pounds. One thing you notice right away with the unbound neck is the thick slab of ebony. For you corksniffers, it's 2.55" on the edges and 2.90" in the middle. The Jackson '87 catalog actually makes a point of mentioning the thickness of their boards. The fingerboard radius looks to be 15".

The old school bengal kicks ass! The condition of the body is fantastic.

http://www.axewielder.com/White_Beng...y_front_01.JPG
    http://www.axewielder.com/White_Beng...y_front_02.JPG

In this pic you can see the wood grain. If anyone can tell me what this boat-anchor wood is, I'd appreciate it. It has a very tight, unpronounced grain. "L. Everett" is written in the neck cavity (a name I don't recognize).

http://www.axewielder.com/White_Beng...NeckPocket.JPG

Now I have cracked the case regarding the trem on this guitar. It appears this guitar has undergone a JT-6 to OFR conversion. Both trem posts appear to have a ring of paint excavated around them:

http://www.axewielder.com/White_Beng...y_front_03.JPG
    http://www.axewielder.com/White_Beng...remPosts_2.JPG

I guess the original anchors were extracted. That was probably a "bad move", but the OFR functions nicely and it's not that visible. The studs are a bit on the loose side in the anchors, however. Is there more to the mystery? The nut and stringlock were converted to an OFR nut, leaving the "arrow type" truss rod cover with a single screw flapping in the wind.

The pickups are a SD Distortion with two SD Hot Rails. They date to 2007 and are not original. The wiring was well-done. You can also see a bit more of the wood grain on the back:

http://www.axewielder.com/White_Beng...dy_back_01.JPG

I'm really getting the Lynch tone with this guitar. Stay tuned for pics of the neck!

Sweet! If you're getting a nice GL tone and it's a heavy body, it's probably maple. From the coloring of the grain, it also appears to be maple.
    Also, I think that would be considered zebra instead of bengal.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Zebra stripes don't have a ragged shape like that! Nah, I'm sticking with White Bengal.

Comment

Looks like poplar to me Axe.My 87 IS maple and its quite a bit darker in the neck pocket almost dirty looking.
        My 87 is 10.8 lbs.
        I have an 89 Dinky that is poplar and it weighs 9.7 lbs.
        Not saying yours is not maple it could be.
        But if you get stinging tone I'd say it is.My 87 nails the Lynch tone.It has a thick ebony board too.
        Love the graphic on that one very cool.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Nice guitar! The fingerboard is 2.55 inches thick?? :think:
          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Congrats and welcome to the tiger club. That's a sweet rig. Oh and yes, mine is friggin heavy as hell.
            Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
              Nice guitar! The fingerboard is 2.55 inches thick?? :think:
              Doh! Yeah move the decimal to the left one. Late night post, whaddyawant?!?

I think Poplar is a good educated guess.

Comment

Definitely not Zebra.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

NICE axe, looks like an SD era body. tabbed singles, small route, looks like maple to me. poplar is usually more greenish yellow.

Comment

Interesting, one vote for poplar and one for maple. Here is that pic of my King V restoration, where you can see vintage poplar (wings) and maple (neck thru) side-by-side. Based on this, I think the maple is a closer match. Could be wrong.

Comment

Wotcha gonna paint on the V? Oh shit, I think already know! Orly..... orrrrrrly...
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        Why did you fill the trem cavity?

Comment

Oh I finished that King V restoration a year and a half ago. You can read everything you ever wanted to know and more HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            Oh I finished that King V restoration a year and a half ago. You can read everything you ever wanted to know and more HERE
                            I'm not a Kahler fan but ... WOW!
                            That looks FANTASTIC!

Comment

Must've been really hard for him not to put a cockdragon on it.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X