Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Custom Shop Order...Demon or Death Angel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme Warrior!
    All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mitch View Post
      Right.
      But I bet the sig will be a import with import typical specs like black binding, MOTO etc...
      True, true. That's why I hesitate because I know I would be getting a Death Angel not as I wanted it. I've wanted the DA for so long but that Demon is sweet (thanks Neilli for making this harder than it already is lol). I have the DA spec'ed out with a kill switch on it and reg. sharkfins, not the scythe inlays like the pic. Change anyone's mind?

Comment

if youre goin with the trans black on the DA i think it would look awesome with an ebony board with no inlays. matching trans finish on the headstock and black logo

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
          if youre goin with the trans black on the DA i think it would look awesome with an ebony board with no inlays. matching trans finish on the headstock and black logo
          I have ebony but need the inlays. Feel like an amateur without them! lol Do have the matching headstock, EMG 81, Floyd (non-recessed). Going to request that the killswitch is black as opposed to red which might look weird.

Comment

Death Kelly FTW!

What I would really like is a Warrior with the bottom fins cut like a Death Kelly.
            1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
            Jackson SLATQH
            Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
            Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
            Jackson DKMGT (project)
            Kramer Focus 1000
            Ibanez SDGR Bass
            Ovation Celebrity
            Martin Backpacker

Comment

The Silverburst Archtop Demon is a bolt on and the body is thicker then my neckthru BlueSparkle one . So the upper fret access isnt great. You can get to about the 19th fret and thats about it. The blue one also has a nice heel carve on the backside and has no upper fret problems at all.

I don't think the horn cut is really different, its just all the factors of the bolt are fighting against the upper fret access. ( 7 string wider neck, bolt on and thicker body)
              So you'd want to that into consideration.

Comment

Thanks for those pics of your Demon. That helps me make a better decision. I have the Demon spec'ed out as a neck-thru not a bolt on but that lower horn does cause me a little concern.

Comment

Death Angel !
                  I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Mikernaut2's Demons rock (especially the refinished silverburst ), but I'd say Death Angel too.

The only thing to be wary of is that the shape of the lower horn is different on the last few that I've seen from the original one. The "newer" lower horn obstructs fret access:

Comment

Well if its going to be a neck thru I don't think there would be an issue with the Demon. It's mainly that big square bolt on area that fubars things up. But to be safe include a note saying "make sure upper fret access isnt hindered"

But it seems like both models have different incarnations as far as the horns go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikernaut2 View Post
                        But it seems like both models have different incarnations as far as the horns go.
                        The upper fret access on your blue sparkle looks about perfect. You did a great job picking the refinish, BTW. It wouldn't have been my choice in advance, but it came out brilliantly.

I noticed Rob's latest Death Angel (the raspberry burst one) has a lower horn like the original, with better access. The two trans, black ones and the bolt-on trans. green one all had a lower horn like the one above. It'd be best to specify Rob's cutout IMO.
                        Last edited by ken; 10-22-2008, 02:13 AM.

Comment

I don't know why the hell they would change it. The fret access on the trans-black one above looks terrible. Actually, the lower bout looks different too. It looks thinner and less rounded.

EDIT: It is in fact quite different. Check out this pic of Rob's original.

The lower bout is much fatter, and rounder.
                          Last edited by zeegler; 10-22-2008, 06:31 AM.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I dunno, if maybe Jackson lost the original template, but here's yet another variation, and this one is wrong in so many ways.

The cutaway is wrong, the lower bout is wrong, the fin is wrong, and the guitar is generally too "fat" overall. They really messed up on this one.

If you had a Death Angel made, make sure you specify that it is the exact same shape as Rob's original, or you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Good points on the DA, Zeeg. I'll have to ask Nick if I can specify that on the work order. Would they even pay attention to that?

Comment

Originally posted by jk2171 View Post
                                Good points on the DA, Zeeg. I'll have to ask Nick if I can specify that on the work order. Would they even pay attention to that?

I would hope so. Maybe you can have them send you a template pic for approval. That way, you can make sure it's right before you sign off on it. I'm about to start on a build myself, and I'm torn between doing a Death Angel, or a Lado Lazer like this one:

If I settle on the Death Angel, I have no idea how I'm going to get a correct template for it, as it seems Rob is the only one who has the correctly shaped guitar. Anyone know his phone #?

Mine's going to be mahogany body, maple neck thru, 1/2" flame maple top with a black/red burst.

Comment

Working...
                                X