No announcement yet.

Show us your warbirds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm. Do you have a picture of the Star on the body? I'm noticing on some the Star is slightly crooked. The one in the catalog (full shot) appears to be angled slightly counterclockwise, yet mine is almost perfectly straight.

Actually, to look at the one in the catalog, it's as if the Star was painted with the guitar standing on end - you can see that one of the points doesn't appear to align with the others unless you rotate it so that it's standing straight up.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, here it is:

Yes, those are J200s in bridge2 and the neck. Bridge1 is the original Armstrong Rail.

Bridge is the Schaller-made JT590. It has 4 springs for some reason

Amazingly, it survived the trip through UPS in the Jackson padded gigbag and only a scant few pieces of bubble pack (the big pillowy stuff, not the ones you sit for hours and pop )

The logo is not very "active" in person. You have to tilt it just right to get it to move. It's definitely not painted or a decal.

Could be what you're seeing in the catalog, Joe.

The board seems to be wired backwards, or it's been swapped. It feeds back even on clean channels, and when you roll the Tone knob forward (On) the highs roll off. When you back it down (Off) the highs are there. I think it's the gain boost and not the mid-sweep.

Anyhoo, I'll be swapping the pickups to a trio of custom Duncans I had made last year for another Warrior (Distortion Jr, Custom Jr, and Jazz Jr), and these will go in an NASL - I want at least one of the 4 to get some nice Strat tones
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Here's two more pics of mine, I have posted them on this forum somewhere before but this is definately the correct thread, so here you go.

I'm so glad your arrived safely, I remember seeing those pics from a month back when someone wasn't quite so lucky.

Comment

Dammit Newc, I want that!
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Messiah View Post
            I remember seeing those pics from a month back when someone wasn't quite so lucky.
            Yea that someone was me, should have it back from repair is a couple of weeks.

I was also wondering the same thing about your truss rod cover, knobs, and logo on the headstock. They are different:

Also my wah switch is silver not black like Newc's, could be a replacment switch though.

Edit:
            It also looks like the stars are in different spots between the three of them.
            Last edited by 138; 05-30-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 138 View Post
              Yea that someone was me, should have it back from repair is a couple of weeks.

I was also wondering the same thing about your truss rod cover, knobs, and logo on the headstock. They are different:

Also my wah switch is silver not black like Newc's, could be a replacment switch though.

Edit:
              It also looks like the stars are in different spots between the three of them.
              Yeah, they're almost all in different spots.

I notice yours also has more rivets than mine or MMs.

The BIG question: who has one that's got a signature on it? Jackson used to get an artist to do a graphic, then get someone else to copy it on future runs.

I had 2 Color Dragon Dinkys like that - one was signed and was of better overall image quality, the other had brighter colors but less detail and no sig.

Comment

MM - do you know if those are the original strap pins on yours?

And does the very tip of your "T" emblem extend onto the top bevel?

I don't want to scare anybody, but it looks like you may have the catalog model, based on certain key indicators such as rivets, shadows, accents, and the Star emblem shape and placement.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  MM - do you know if those are the original strap pins on yours?

And does the very tip of your "T" emblem extend onto the top bevel?

I don't want to scare anybody, but it looks like you may have the catalog model, based on certain key indicators such as rivets, shadows, accents, and the Star emblem shape and placement.
                  Wow this is quite interesting, and I apologize for getting nerdy in my photos and descritions. I can't see any obvious artist signature on the paint, is it likely to be hidden under the floyd rose?

OK the strap pins are definately not the originals, they are Schaller strap locks.
                  The T embelem does extend over the top bevel

So I started to look over the guitar for any distinctive paint identifiers, and the best I could come up with is on the rivit between the pickups the the shadow is misprayed, and if you look at that rivet in the catalogue you could argue it looks smudged.

So looking at the catalogue, the high end of fretboard looks very stripey and there is a bend upwards in the stripes at the 19th fret, which you can see on the picture of mine too.

and here's a better shot of the MOP logo too.

So from this I'm pretty sure it is the catalogue guitar, not that, that makes it any more special or anything, but for me I have had that calalogue for nearly 20 years and drooled over one day owning one of those, but to now have the actual guitar I had been drooling over is quite a nice touch. So I think we can safely say the transfers on the trus rod cover and on the knobs are from the previous owners model aircraft kit.

The serial number is pretty hard to make out, but I came up with 0000031 but looking at how the numbers read, maybe the 1st digit could be a U.
                  Last edited by Metal Messiah; 05-31-2008, 06:47 AM.

Comment

First digit would have to be a U. Only the recent neckthrough imports (late 90s/early 00s) started getting "00" serials.

It's highly likely that yours is the catalog model, as hand-painted graphics never come out the same way twice. Given the paint similarities and the serial, I'd say with 98% certainty you have "The One" (the other 2% is for the possibility that the artist did manage to duplicate his work).

Mine's serial is U00269, so it's unlikely I have the one Mikey is holding in the catalog inset photo - dammit
                    Last edited by Newc; 05-31-2008, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Look at the catalog pic again - the other half of the "Blonde" - it's got a SILVER mini-toggle switch like 138's.

The one Mikey is posing with also appears to have a silver mini-toggle. However, the placement of the Star is different on the two.

So, it's possible 138's came with the silver mini toggle.

Comment

Looking at the catalog now, I do notice that two are pictured with silver switches. They probably used what was in stock at the moment durring builds.

Newc, my serial is U00242 so it looks like their close together in production runs. Dont know what the timespan would have been to get from 42 to 69 though or how many were built in either run, I do know i don't see very many.

Metal Messiah, again looking at the catalog, it does look like you've got "The One" that's in the picture. I've also had that catalog for 18 years and wanted one since I first saw it. To have the one thats in the picture is tits man.

Comment

The catalog says they did batches of 12.

Since the catalog only shows 4 USA production models - Fusion, Soloist, Rhoads, Warrior - and ours are only 27 numbers apart, it looks like they built 3 of each of the 4 models in a batch of 12: 3 Warriors, 3 Soloists, 3 Fusions, 3 RRs in one batch.

Comment

I gotta figure they went more by what was ordered rather than three of each at a time consistently. But noting the 12 per batch, they were definitely built close together timewise.

Kinda kool seein' one of the originals and two of the production models still around and in decent shape (aside from my issue that is).

I wonder how many were actually made.

Comment

Working...
                            X