Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what makes USA's "sound" like they do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what makes USA's "sound" like they do?

Being mostly an import/rosewood guy, Ive grown quite used to how they sound. But then I got my RR Pro, and WOW, what a difference. This guitar just has a ton of attack, very bright and articulate... amazing. But because I want to keep it mint, this is the only guitar I really dont play much at all. Keep in mind, Ive got other imports with the same pickups that sound nothing like it.

Fast forward to a few months ago I get an RR Pro Std... same as RR Pro but with rosewood/dots as opposed to ebony. Being basically the same guitar, I expected it to sound pretty much the same... but nope.

Then go to a month ago when I scored that SL1... that guitar sounded amazing... with a JB pickup, one I normally HATE! Tons of sustain, bright, articulate... just awesome. So I sell that to get the SL2H Chlorine I REALLY wanted, and aside from the many problems Im having with it, and the fact that I probably wont be able to keep it, it again sounds and feels awesome... side by side with another guitar (rosewood neck-thru/rosewood bolton) with EMG's, it just blows it away.

So my question is, is the ebony fretboard really making that much of the difference that Im hearing over the rosewood? Quartersawn necks? I would figure with EMG's of all pickups, the wood choices would matter the least... but I guess not for some reason.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

My first guess is that the USA factory would use better quality woods, and then hardware. Of course, construction differences and actual type of wood will have a factor as well...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Emg's sound different in any guitar. The natural comression of the emg stays with the pickup, but the bark and bite will be lighter with alder and darker with mahogany.

That's why jackson uses alder and ebony to get that bite on almost all usa's!

My kv-2's sound alot brighter than my king kelly which is 12 lbs of pure mahogany with ebony board, way darker tone.

When I record, I try to use a mahogany guitar to track rythms and alder to track leads so it cuts a little better.

Live doesn't matter cause 90% of the soundguys out there suck ass and make you sound like shit anyway through front of house
      USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
      USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

My guess is that the difference is mostly wiring and pickups. With a Floyd on one side of the guitar,,,,how much of the wood resonation is really affecting the sound something that I am not clear about.

I'd say like 90 to 95% of it is the pick ups...

Comment

I completely disagree with that, I think hardware is absolutely important, as is the timber and construction methods. The pickups are making the signal, but change a jt580lp with a floyd and you can hear the difference. A gotoh upgrade on my 10yo DR3 makes it practically a new guitar. Much better sustain and attack and clarity.

I think its just luck of the draw with guitars and how they sound, some people like bright, some dark, some clear etc. But its the whole package imo

Comment

Originally posted by RD View Post
            Live doesn't matter cause 90% of the soundguys out there suck ass and make you sound like shit anyway through front of house
            Hehe, many so called "soundguys" should never have been allowed access to a mixer in the first place and then again, many guitarists should understand that playing too loud on the mic'ed guitar amps on stage, ruins it for the soundguy

Oh btw. quartersawn necks = helps tone.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
              Hehe, many so called "soundguys" should never have been allowed access to a mixer in the first place and then again, many guitarists should understand that playing too loud on the mic'ed guitar amps on stage, ruins it for the soundguy

Oh btw. quartersawn necks = helps tone.
              You're right Henrik ! That's why guitarists should know a bit about mixing and "soundguys" should know what it means to guitarists, if somebody insists on "turn down that amp !!!"
              uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Bridge even makes a difference. A TOM sounds way different than a Floyd, IMHO...
                Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

It's all in the fingers. Carlos Santana will sound like Carlos Santana whether he plays a PRS Dragon or a King Kelly with a Floyd and EMG's. And Kerry King will still sound like Kerry King whether it's with an EMG equipped BC Rich neck through or a stock Squier Hello Kitty Strat...
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

what makes my USA jackson's sound the way they do is a mix of my fingers, my rivera amps and my EVM speakers. the guitar is just a tool as far as i am concerned.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Well, since we are making a comparison, the fingers and technique can be eliminated. I believe the improved "tone" in the USA's is a combination of all the components. To me it's more of a "feel" of quality workmanship, than difference in tone.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I don't know but my SL2H can do no wrong. I "thought" my favorite guitar for playing Black Sabbath was my 1998 SG Std., but now I'm liking the SL2H better. Doesn't make sense - wrong scale, wood pickups, bridge, etc.

So far the only guitar it hasn't put in the unemployment line is my 1996 LP Classic Premium. For playing Iron Maiden, that guitar cannot be topped.

After hearing your (RobRR) horror stories with USA Jacksons, I'm beginning to think I just got lucky with this one. I just won't take off the truss rod cover, kind of like the military's "don't ask-don't tell" policy

Comment

its a combinations of everything.... but in terms of USA, the "everything" is just better, and that translates in your tone.

Comment

Well atleast in my case, we can rule out hardware and electronics. All the hardware I use is Schaller or OFR... electronics EMG or Duncans... Id put my wiring jobs up against anyone in the world.

So that being said, hardware and electronics aside, are ebony/quartersawn maple necks really making that difference Im hearing? If so, I think sadly some of my imports may have to go... IF I CAN FIND A GOOD USA GOD DAMNIT! Ive got another one coming friday... was a smokin deal, couldnt pass it up... pretty rare guitar, only problem is its string thru.
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                              Well atleast in my case, we can rule out hardware and electronics. All the hardware I use is Schaller or OFR... electronics EMG or Duncans... Id put my wiring jobs up against anyone in the world.

So that being said, hardware and electronics aside, are ebony/quartersawn maple necks really making that difference Im hearing? If so, I think sadly some of my imports may have to go... IF I CAN FIND A GOOD USA GOD DAMNIT! Ive got another one coming friday... was a smokin deal, couldnt pass it up... pretty rare guitar, only problem is its string thru.

I just can't see the problem, I wonder why
                              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Working...
                              X