Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me into a Jackson PC-1

Talk me into a Jackson PC-1!

I have owned many guitars throughout the years but now as a grown up old dude with kids and bills the GAS fund is getting smaller and smaller than ever.

I suppose the most expensive guitars I have ever owned are Les Pauls and when it comes to Charvels it's been a few Model series.

I have always wanted a PC-1 (older non Fender headstock,Koa body, no tone knob) and now with the Canadian dollar at a record high, there seems to be no better time to buy.

I am trying to convince myself that it will be miles better than my Charvel 375. The only PC-1's that I have played were owned by a pretty famous (and super down to earth) guitarist and I was more afraid of dropping one than really getting a good feel for it.

Should I mention that I like really thick necks (like my Jackson Firebird that I once owned) and play with .11's tuned to 440?

So any PC owners wanna pipe their two cents in?

Good luck finding a Koa PC1.
    Very hard to find as the Koa body was only used for 1 /1/2 years (96 and part of 97). Mahogany bodies since then.

I own a 2004 PC1 and have a 2001 PC3 with a 1997 PC1 neck on it.
    Great guitars.

You either love them or you don't.
    -Rick

Comment

i have 2 PC-1s, a '99 and a '00. i love them both. necks are HUGE, the tops are gorgeous, they play amazingly!!!! good luck on the koa. here are mine:

GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I really like mine, but I don't like the unreliability of the sustainer and the lack of volume from the sustainer driver when used as the neck pickup...
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I'm a fan of the Strat headstock rather than the "Sears" but either way, they are great playing guitars. I have a 2006 Purple Daze myself. Talk you into it?, the easiest way is to just play one and you'll be sold Same thing can be said about SLATQH's. The Koa is probably hard to find but the PC-1's with old style headstock should move for cheaper than the Strat style. So if you're willing to go for Mahogany you could probably find a good deal on one.

Rudy
          www.wickedrocks.com
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Dude...I just got mine and it is the sickest guitar ever....even cooler than the sustainer is the feedback switch...it turns all your notes into screaming harmonics..its out of this world.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post

I have always wanted a PC-1 (older non Fender headstock,Koa body, no tone knob) and now with the Canadian dollar at a record high, there seems to be no better time to buy.

So any PC owners wanna pipe their two cents in?
              There is a guy on ebay who has been trying to sell his Koa PC1 for awhile....problem is that he wants major $$$$$.

Comment

My favorite of all the Jackson's, I had to have 2 of them also. The Sustainer is just crazy and the most powerful of all of them out there.

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The PC1 is a great guitar, though one in Koa might be hard to find. You might also consider looking for a Koa SD1, since it seems to match your specs (Koa, no tone knob, "Sears" headstock, etc. - the neck is not as thick as a PC1 though). You could always add a Sustainiac to it. Here's a pic of mine:

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                    I really like mine, but I don't like the unreliability of the sustainer and the lack of volume from the sustainer driver when used as the neck pickup...
                    That is a poorly setup sustainer and pickup.
                    You do know that you can control the gain on that by adjusting the trim pots on the board.
                    Granted, the sustainer driver is not the greatest sounding pickup, but when adjusted properly, it's hardly what I would call "weak".
                    -Rick

Comment

Yeah, that's something we discussed before Rick. However, I just had the whole unit replaced under warranty and according to the tech, the FMIC guy told him that the sustainer driver should not be treated as a true pickup as such, hence the volume difference. Still, it could well be worth me trying to adjust those trim pots you mentioned....
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

One of the better smoother playing guitars I've ever played.
                        They're visually stunning, however, you have to play one to appreciate it.
                        They play wonderful.
                        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Nothing's perfect. But, IMHO, it's the best production guitar in the current Jackson USA lineup. Period.

Comment

The Collen neck spec. is .825-.890, so that should help you do some research on the koa Charvel if you decide to go that route.
                            GM,
                            www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                              The PC1 is a great guitar, though one in Koa might be hard to find. You might also consider looking for a Koa SD1, since it seems to match your specs (Koa, no tone knob, "Sears" headstock, etc. - the neck is not as thick as a PC1 though). You could always add a Sustainiac to it. Here's a pic of mine:
                              Nice guitar, haven't seen one of those in a while! Rosewood board with a maple neck, right? What do you think of the tone?
                              GM,
                              www.aftershok.com

Comment

Working...
                              X