Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonal differences between an SL2H and SL2H-MAH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    LOL Not this crap again. Bolt-on, set-neck and neck-thru guitars can all have the same amount of sustain.
    Yes, that is true, and I personally lean towards bolt-ons.

However, in my opinion, neck-thrus, as a general principle do tend to have a bit more sustain and different tonal stamp than a bolt-on or set-neck. However, as always, opinions vary.
    GM,
    www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      The SL2H-MAHs only come as transparents with 1/8ths flame-tops. :P

And yes, mahogany neck w/mahogany body wings. 3 piece necks, to be specific, which is rare for Jackson neck-throughs nowadays.
      3-piece is more preferrable for mahogany necks, because mahogany is not that strong compared to maple, so quartersawn mahogany neck are at risk to happen less reliable. If you will order quartersawn mahogany neck as an option in CS, you will be always offered to change it for 3-piece.
      Because I don't say it
      Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Originally posted by Carbophos View Post
        3-piece is more preferrable for mahogany necks, because mahogany is not that strong compared to maple, so quartersawn mahogany neck are at risk to happen less reliable. If you will order quartersawn mahogany neck as an option in CS, you will be always offered to change it for 3-piece.
        To clarify: the SL2H-MAH is a 3 piece neck with a scarf joint.
        Jackson spec says that the SL2H MAH neck IS quartersawn. Is it possible to be a quartersawn 3 piece neck? I'm new to this neck option guitar talk and pretty confused

Comment

Originally posted by Wiberg View Post
          Jackson spec says that the SL2H MAH neck IS quartersawn. Is it possible to be a quartersawn 3 piece neck? I'm new to this neck option guitar talk and pretty confused
          To my knowledge, the two are not mutually exclusive at all.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbophos View Post
            I know - I've custom ordered that way. Actually, IMHO, a 3-piece neck is preferable regardless of wood type. Mahogany or otherwise, it's a custom shop option that's well worth the money spent when going neck-through.

Originally posted by Wiberg View Post
            Quartersawn simply refers to how the wood was cut relative to the grain. i.e., Quartersawn necks are more stable than non-quatersawn necks. And 3 piece necks are more stable than either. So, yes, it is possible to have a 3 piece neck with quartersawn wood.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              Quartersawn simply refers to how the wood was cut relative to the grain. i.e., Quartersawn necks are more stable than non-quatersawn necks. And 3 piece necks are more stable than either. So, yes, it is possible to have a 3 piece neck with quartersawn wood.
              Ah, I see! Thank you for the explination.

Comment

I've owned an MAH for years, and I the neck hasn't twisted and blown up and splintered and shot fire ro anything.

Comment

Working...
                X