Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonal differences between an SL2H and SL2H-MAH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonal differences between an SL2H and SL2H-MAH.

Hey all,

The itch for another Jackson needs to be scratched and since the finish I originally wanted isn't offered anymore, I'm a bit unsure of what to go for.

My initial reaction was to pick up another SL2H in Black or Metallic Black but the more I got to thinking, the more the MAH started to attract me. So now I'm debating between the two.

So, for those of you who either own both or have spent a good amount of time with both, what would you say are the tonal differences between the two? I've only played an SL2H-MAH once and it wasn't really enough to give it a good assesment. I remember liking it though.

Also, have any of you MAH owners had any issues with your necks or take any special precautions in the care of them?

Thanks.

I would go for the SL2H-MAH.
    You already know what the other one sounds like, so variety
    is good.
    Also, I think they are great sounding guitars. You get the warmth
    and full-tone of mahogany, but the brighter tone and longer sustain of a neck-thru. This model is my favorite production Jackson.
    Regarding the neck, I don't think you will have any additional risks or issues than you would normally have with a neck-thru.
    GM,
    www.aftershok.com

Comment

You shouldn't have any probs...only that you can only wreck the neck once. But who doesn't expect this?

Comment

So are the MAH models all mahogany, or maple neckthrough with mahogany wings?

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt View Post
          All mahogany... Where did maple come from?
          -Adam

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
            longer sustain of a neck-thru.
            LOL Not this crap again. Bolt-on, set-neck and neck-thru guitars can all have the same amount of sustain.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by anuske9 View Post
              All mahogany... Where did maple come from?
              I believe some would have maple tops (at least on the ones with transparent colors).

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I believe some would have maple tops (at least on the ones with transparent colors).
                The SL2H-MAHs only come as transparents with 1/8ths flame-tops. :P

And yes, mahogany neck w/mahogany body wings. 3 piece necks, to be specific, which is rare for Jackson neck-throughs nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  The SL2H-MAHs only come as transparents with 1/8ths flame-tops. :P

And yes, mahogany neck w/mahogany body wings. 3 piece necks, to be specific, which is rare for Jackson neck-throughs nowadays.
                  Ah-ha! For some reason, I thought they came in regular colors as well.

My Mark Morton model also has a three-piece mahogany neck.

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt View Post
                    Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Maple tops and maple neckthrough are two completely different things...
                    -Adam

Comment

i dont think mahogany is really stable enough to do one piece necks & the way mahogany splinters i dont think a scarf joint was a good solution. at least not with pointy headstocks. but that just an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                        i dont think mahogany is really stable enough to do one piece necks & the way mahogany splinters i dont think a scarf joint was a good solution. at least not with pointy headstocks. but that just an opinion
                        Better tell Gibson that.

Although Gibson did switch to 3 piece mahogany in 1968/9, then 3 piece maple in 75/6 (LP's with maple necks kick ass!) then back to one piece in 82/3. People who buy Gibsons want one piece necks even if they are weak. The market wins out.

The KBRR is three piece mahogany. I prefer this over a scarf joint.

Comment

To clarify: the SL2H-MAH is a 3 piece neck with a scarf joint. Same as a KV2T. I'm not sure, but I'd bet that the KBRR and Morton import models are probably done the same.

If you want a 3 piece neck without scarf joint, it's pretty much custom shop order only.

Comment

My Morton definitely has a scarf joint as well.

Comment

COOL BEANS....as for the gibson guys thats fine its a 3 on 3 headstock not as likely to twist as a 6 inline with an angle like the jackson pointy.
                              from my experience 1 piece mahogany necks are too touchy....& they move around way too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X