USA Jackson High Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USA Jackson High Prices

Yeah..they must have been smoking something... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The Buzzard does not fear
    The man in riot gear
    Harvest a skull of stone
    The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        One of the biggest problems I see right away is dealers over there are charging just under MSRP - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, and will probably hand you some cock and bull about how that's close to what they're paying [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
        MSRP is basically defined as "the maximum amount you can legally charge for something before Joe Public lynches your ass in the Town Square for Highway Robbery" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if FMICs cut wasnt already over US MAP (and I´m talking DEALER COST), then this wouldn´t be necessary... But a German dealer (for ex) would LOSE about 350USD on an SL-1 of he sold it for the equivalent of US MAP...

THe other problem is tha (at least in Germany) J/C giutars have a margin of barely 1.4 to the Euro MSRP (meaning your cost is MSRP divided by 1.4, or conversely 1.4x your cost is MSRP...)... This leaves dealers with almost NO leeway to adjust the price..... Even the "Usual" margin of 1.6 which most other companies products achieve isn´t that rosy, btw.... Remember also that in that margin, the 16% VAT are part of the margin, effectively making it a final margin of 1.24... NOW, on a 2 thousand dollar guitar, that calculates out to a total of UNDER 500 dollars TOTAL LEEWAY between Wholesale+vat (dealer price) and MSRP...

Just because we´re in Europe doesn´t mean we´re being assholes on purpose, Newc [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
        Most dealers within Europe have to pay 22% VAT plus customs and shipping from US to their stores. Those costs alone take the prices upwards by 30% and of course they need to add profit too to keep their business running.

[/ QUOTE ]These costs (VAT+ customs) should be in Fenders Wholesale cost, as THEY imported the guitars, not the dealer... Unless they seriously changed the distribution system in the last 2 years...

But either way: Find a comparable quality guitar for less... Any other handmade US guitar costs mucho moolah more, I seriously doubt that you can get a Hamer USA, Dean USA, PRS, Gibson, CS Fender or similar for anywhere near the price of a USA Select [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In other words, in Europe a dealer selling for less than MSRP (unless he does most of his business online and doesn´t have a store front in that sense) would essentially be paying you to run him out of business... SOmething telly me that most wouldn´t do that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Maximum SUGGESTED Retail Price. The word is 'suggested' and doesn't need to be followed. If a dealer wishes to charge more, they're free to do so, it's just not considered fair to charge more than MSRP. *shrug*
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Zerberus afair the EU VAT on musical instruments is 22% not 16 %

of course customs etc raise that price but the effect is that the standard price over here equals the list price in US ( grrr) .

Plus some dealers have an attitude like "you want to pay that much ? great you'll pay even more if you have that kind of money"

damn i want to go to the States and buy some jacksons [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Zerberus afair the EU VAT on musical instruments is 22% not 16 %

[/ QUOTE ]

no-no, we're not a united europe for musical instruments yet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] , the VAT in Germany differs from the VAT f.ex. in Belgium (which is 21% BTW).. it's a long way to the top etc.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Loved the BTW pun, Peter! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Zerberus - the VAT and customs don't disappear from the price when the guitar is imported. The dealer and eventually the buyer pays it too. 22% in Finland plus another 3.6% customs fee spesific for guitars.
                  My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

RR, please read my post again, because that´s exactly what I said... Wholesale cost is what the Dealer pays Fender /JCMI to get that guitar in his store. FMIC/JCMI pays the VAT and customs... but FMIC/JCMI is of course not a company of idiots that can´t count [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pott is right, there is no "unified VAT" yet, that´s one of the reasons that there are still separate distributors fo rUK, Germany et.al [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry Zerb. I got confused cause You typed "Wholesale+vat" once and I never got over it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My mistake.

I think Finland might be an exception though cause the main dealers are also importers and they get the guitar from European distributors. I don't know who pays the VAT - Fender distributor when the guitars are in EU or the dealer who imports them to Finland?
                      [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

Here in Canada a new soloist sells for about $2300 Canadian from what I've gathered. An ESP Horizon NT-II which is the most direct competitor I can think of goes for $1800-1900 with the case. Both guitars are neck-thru with ebony board and figured maple veneer. Same pick-ups and quality of hardware. The Jackson has more expensive inlays but the ESP has a mahogany body and carved top which should make it a bit more expensive than the alder Jackson. So why the difference? Is the quality of build really better?

Comment

The ESP is made in Japan. Making a product at a competitive price in the US is virtually impossible. Overhead here is a bitch. Off the top of my head: Paying the crew a liveable wage, workman's comp insurance (skyrocketing), health insurance (skyrocketing), liability insurance, legal fees, costs of conforming to OSHA & environmental regulations, local, state & fed. taxes, etc. If FMIC owns the land the Corona facility is on, Cali is taxing the hell out of them for that, too, as well as any tangible business property like manufacturing equipment, vehicles, etc. It's a wonder anything is still made here at all.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Sorry Zerb. I got confused cause You typed "Wholesale+vat" once and I never got over it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

No biggie [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                            I think Finland might be an exception though cause the main dealers are also importers and they get the guitar from European distributors. I don't know who pays the VAT - Fender distributor when the guitars are in EU or the dealer who imports them to Finland?
                            [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Finland is EU, then the distributor is paying the VAT and Customs charges and passing them on to the dealer in the wholesale price... If Finland isn´t EU (I keep forgetting, sorry), then that explains everything, because then they´re BOTH paying the applicable Customs charges and local VAT (once into the EU to the Distributor + once from the EU to the dealer in Finland) ... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Finland is in EU. It is Norway that isn't in. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm not sure who torquemada is...
                                But my good sir, if you emailed me for a price, It likely had shipping included and the additional prices to ship to your area is steep.
                                Sorry we couldn't come to a resolution.
                                Jackson established their price increase last summer and then another dealer cost price increase Jan 2005.
                                These things affect us consumers, some more than others but aside from the common negatives, the effects do have strong positives on the market.

Comment

Working...
                                X