Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Jackson and I need some serious advice on a trade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to Jackson and I need some serious advice on a trade.

I don't think that Kelly is an honest trade for your guitar. Too many dings. IMHO.

Comment

The Kelly looks nice, but I would try to get the guy to throw in 2-3 hundred on the deal.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I was just checking out the Kelly gallery here and I noticed what appears to be the same guitar. If you scroll down a little you will see a solid purple one which looks exactly like the one above right down to the EMG's. It is listed as a 1998 Kelly Custom which is what I am being told the above guitar is which is being offered in the trade.

The guy also told me the serial number starts with a "U" and he will double check it later today.

If this is indeed a Custom Shop I would assume it would add a little value to the guitar correct?

Comment

JMack,
          The one in the gallery is much bigger than the one you're looking at. I matched up the fretboard widths and compared the bodies; MUCH different. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I still think that a couple hundred bucks and the Kelly would be a fair deal for the LP. Hope you're happy with whatever you decide.

Comment

It shouldn't be a "Custom Shop" axe if it has a U serial #.
            It was built at the custom shop, but to USA Select specs.
            Just sell the paul and order a new guitar.
            None of the trades sound fair to me, even if they threw in $300.00

Comment

That's my purple pavo Kelly in the Gallery with the EMG's. It's a USA Production guitar, not a true Custom Shop. I replaced the Duncans with EMG's. And I can't see the pics you posted either...
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Can't see the pics here either [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                Anyhoo, USA Production Model Jacksons (USA Select Series) have "Uxxxxx" serial numbers, Custom Shop Jacksons have "Jxxxx" numbers. I seriously hope it's not a fellow JCF'er handing you a line of [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] about this Kelly being a Custom Shop just because it has an ebony board and EMGs - I've got a 1990 Soloist Pro made in Japan with an ebony board and EMGs [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                While I did put the EMGs in it myself, one would have to be a complete moron to pay Custom Shop pricing JUST to get EMGs on what is essentially a USA Select model that comes with ebony board, binding on the head and neck, MOP inlays, and NOT get a custom paint job [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, considering I can't stand Les Pauls, I'd probably do the trade for the Kelly. Soloists in good shape really SHOULD only fall into the 600-900 range, especially the later models. A true Kelly Custom SHop might be the better option. They generally run about the same in price depending on the usual factors but the Floyd and EMGs are a definite plus in my book. As far as playability goes, I've played LP's, yeah, even nice ones. I've owned Jems and Universes and played a Jem7VWH for a long time up until a year ago. I recently acquired a USA Kelly and it's got as nice or nicer neck than most of my Soloists. Very thin and fast; comfortable to play. Point is that I think any of the Jacksons listed would play MILES better than any Les Paul, IN MY HANDS, which are relatively big. It's going to come down to preference although I'd think that most heavy music guitarists would feel more comfortable playing the above Jacksons over an LP. Value wise, I'd ask for maybe 200 and whichever Jackson you want for the Paul.
                  And I'd also like to add that I swore by Jems as the best solidbody electric for lead players and I did so for years. When I played, really played, my first Soloist, I never looked back. The Jem, as nice a guitar as it was, just did not have the same smoothness and ease of playing that the Soloist has. I realize that my opinion might not be yours; but I doubt I'll ever find a solidbody that does it for me more than a Soloist.
                  Tom

Comment

Originally posted by JMack:

Ibanez JEMVSBL which is a nice guitar.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I picked up a brand new JEMVSBL for $999 about a year ago. I didn't keep it but I would say that your guitar is worth more than the Jem.

Comment

Which guitar one thinks is a better guitar than the other for whatever reason is totally irrelevant. Its all about market value.

Comment

Again, thanks for the awesome advice here, much appreciated.

tmdiamond,

I am thinking the same way. Although the Les Paul plays unreal by Les Paul standards it is just not quite fast enough on the neck for the style music I am playing. Even with the slim 60's neck it does not offer the same speed I am getting from the RG3120.

I am going to post a few pictures of the Kelly and you can tell if you think it's a custom shop or not. The guy I am talking with on it seems very nice and I have no reason to doubt him on his word.

Here goes.

Comment

Well, the trade has changed. I was just about to call it quits when I got another offer.

I am about 90% to closing a deal on a mint JEMVSBL in mint condition. I absolutely lov my RG3120 and the neck profile on the JEM is about the same. Some Jems seem over done to me but this particular model is nice and subtle, not overly flashy at all.

The JEM has a small crack at the nut posts which I am told is purely cosmetic. Other than that it is mint. He will be sending me some good pictures today. As far as value goes I think this is pretty much an even trade. We will be meeting half way to exchange guitars to avoid shipping which is a huge plus.

Jason

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Racer,

Thanks man but I do know how to post images. The problem is I use a free hosting site for my pictures which means the pictures will only show for a few hours.

Regardless I am passing on the Kelly at this point. I have an offer on a mint Ibanez JEM7VSBL which I prefer more than the Kelly. It is also a much better value over the Kelly. My ideal choice would have been a mint SL1 or SL2 for the trade but the JEM is a close second. It's been over a day since I heard from the guy with the JEM and if much more time passes I am going to keep the Les Paul and go shopping with cash.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Jason

Comment

Best of luck with whatever deal you go with.

Comment

Working...
                                X