Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Jackson and I need some serious advice on a trade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Jackson and I need some serious advice on a trade.

I am in the process of trading an absolutely dead mint Les Paul Classic that I bought new for $1500 about a year and a half ago. This guitar seriously has not so much a swirl in the clear coat. This also comes with the original papers, HSC and Gibson tool. I still have the inspection sheet for it so its pretty much like walking out of the store with it new.

Now, I know you are all jackson guys here but try and keep your bias out of it.

I currently have a guy offering me a Kelly custom with EMGs in it that has a few decent dings on it. This guitar is metallic purple which I am not crazy about but it seems like a super nice axe. What do these go for new and what would you think the value is with a few chips on the backa nd top edges?

Another guy is offering me an SL1 finished in Eerie Dess Swirl that looks awesome. This guitar has a chip on the back edge of the guitar. It has Seymour Duncans in it and the writing is worn off the two single coils. What is the approximate value of this guitar?

Last but not least another guy is offering an Ibanez JEMVSBL which is a nice guitar. This guitar looks to be dead mint but I am not that crazy about the royal blue color.

Please give me some advice on this because I am just looking for an equal trade and I would hate to take a hit on this.

Thanks a million in advance.

~Jason

Re: New to Jackson and I need some serious advice on a trade.

Your Paul is worth more than each of those trades.

Comment

That was what I was afraid of.

Maybe I will just have to sell the Les and put the money towards a new Jackson of some kind in the near fututre. The Lester just doesnt get the play time it should next to my RG3120.

Thanks bro.

Jason

Comment

Gibson always has better resale than Jackson. But it wouldn't be a rip off to you for that Kelly if it's indeed a genuine Custom. You gotta weigh the fact too that the EMG's and Floyd on the Jackson, combined with the neck through will (to me anyway, and probably you since you're interested in it) play and sound better than the LP.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

What Chuck said.
          If it's as nice as you say, put it up on ebay and buy whatever you want new with the $.

Comment

I've got a JEM and an SL1 - they are fantastic guitars. I'm assuming that Kelly is as well. I'd say that each of those guitars is worth within a couple hundred bucks or so of your Les Paul. You also have to figure that after Ebay and Paypal you'll be losing 5% or so of what you get for the Les Paul which will be at least 50 bucks. See if you can get one of the guys to pony up some cash.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

If you are unhappy with the Gibson, sell it. Trading it for a used Jackson, you will be the one taking the hit. Used USA Kellys go in the $800-900 range. Brand new Kelly is about $1450.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

A Jackson Kelly "Custom" is a lot like a Les Paul "Custom" - it usually denotes ebony fretboard and MOP inlays. If it's a "Custom Shop" Jackson, then it should have relatively close $$ value to the LP, but even then, you'd be better off selling the LP on Ebay and buying the Kelly (or two).

Joe, man, that comment about the Floyd, EMGs, and neckthrough stuff making for better sound and playability than an LP is just waaaaayyyyy out there, man [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Lemme guess, you been playing GC LPs again? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                  ....Lemme guess, you been playing GC LPs again? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it were only the LPs they would screw up and not every axe that comes in... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                  [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Went to 4 GCs in 4 different cities last time I was stateside. I was immediately cured [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks a ton for all the advice guys. I recently went down from owning 9 guitars to my current two (RG3120/LP). The fact of the matter is I just love the playability of the RG and I find it almost impossible to pick up the Lester. My main style of music is extreem metal and thrash so you can see why I might gravitate to the RG. Due to the fact I only own two guitars and only one is getting any use is unacceptable which is where I am coming from with the whole trade thing.

I guess I was just hoping to land a nice even trade with little to no ebay hassle. I beleive the Kelly is defineatly a custom shop model because it does have an ebony fret board and I was told it came from the shop equipped with EMG's.

Thanks again guys.

Jason

Comment

Here is a coupkle more one of which shows the dings I was talking about.

Comment

bump

Comment

That looks like a standard production Kelly to me. I don't see anything Custom Shop about that.

Comment

hmmm.... I can't see the pics

Comment

Cant see the pictures? Odd? They show on my PC?

Comment

Working...
                              X