Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm about to order a custom shop and.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3 Piece Necks?

[ QUOTE ]
    Should I just get the standard neck, or would it be safer to get the 3 peice neck for the mahogany neck? I don`t want 3 peices showing, I know they don`t on Hamers, will the 3 peices show on the Jackson?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The three pieces show on the Hamers (the middle piece has the wood going in a different direction than the outside two pieces) but it's really not that noticeable since it's all mahogany and a darker wood than maple. I'd think it would be pretty much the same on the Jackson no matter what direction the pieces are going. Laminated necks are supposed to be stronger than one-piece necks anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i can't imagine how they wouldn't show if they're clearcoated.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

On a natural finsih, I would go with a 5 piece with 3 large mahogany plys sandwiched with a thin maple ply next to each side central strip of mahogany. This will add some strength and provides those cool racing stripes.

Comment

Weaker figured necks: Myth or Fact?

WTF? I thought the idea that figured necks are weaker was a myth! In fact, I've been thinking of getting a birdseye maple neck with Wizard profile from Warmoth.

Here's what Warmoth's site says on the topic: "There seems to be a recurring rumor that Birdseye maple is unstable and not suited to guitar necks. Having made tens of thousands of Birdseye necks, we can assure you that it is no different in stability than plain maple."

Now I'm confused. Has anyone here actually experienced problems with thin profile, figured maple necks? I think it would be cool to have, but I don't wanna buy myself a $300+ problem (and I don't see Warmoth offering graphite rods).

Comment

Re: Weaker figured necks: Myth or Fact?

yes. figured necks move a lot more. while no one really knows what causes birdseye, i'll tell ya what causes flame. flame maple occurs when the maple tree bends in the wind. basically, flame maple are the same as tree "stretch marks." it's already weakened, don't make a neck out of it without putting rods in there.

there will be people who say that their birdseye necks don't move, some will say the opposite. i can say that i'd never use figured maple on a neck without putting graphite rods in there.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, well if it is that noticeable, then is the regular mahogany neck Quartersawn and 2 peices with the scarf joint?That should be stable enough-right? Man, I can barely notice the 3 peices of my natural mahogany Hamer neck, if Jacksons is the same, it wouldn`t bother me at all. Anyone have a pic of a natural mahogany or korina 3 peice neck? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                yes. figured necks move a lot more. while no one really knows what causes birdseye, i'll tell ya what causes flame. flame maple occurs when the maple tree bends in the wind. basically, flame maple are the same as tree "stretch marks." it's already weakened, don't make a neck out of it without putting rods in there.

there will be people who say that their birdseye necks don't move, some will say the opposite. i can say that i'd never use figured maple on a neck without putting graphite rods in there.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

I will say that my birdseye moves just like all my other necks - but I am in new england, so I expect it, nothing a good set up does not cure anyway and it forces me to pay attention to my guitars, which is not such a bad thing IMO (if your gonna own 'em, play 'em).
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

birdseye is more stable than quilt or flame maple. ive had a couple of flame maple necks go bad, both were oil finished.
                  Jack i would go 3 piece mahogany. its more stable less prone to twisting especially if you using a pointy headstock which pulls in a direction that wants to naturally twist the neck. as for how visible the seems will be on mahogany it depends on the grain/color variation. if its a flat looking piece of wood without alot of variation the seem shouldnt be that noticable. if it has alot of variation like Toru's BCR explorer than it will be noticeable. Korina is usually very consistent in color & doesnt have alot of variation in grain or color so the seem wont be noticable except for at the ends. if its an issue may a suggest a KOA neckthru. i would check, i dont know if its even available as a neck wood & if its not silly expensive yet......if its not its going to be soon.

Comment

Thanks dude!! I shouldn`t even be worrying considering you can see the Scarf joint on Jacksons, I am use to seeing that though, but I agree with you on the stability and it is on the back of neck after all. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Here's what Warmoth's site says on the topic: "There seems to be a recurring rumor that Birdseye maple is unstable and not suited to guitar necks. Having made tens of thousands of Birdseye necks, we can assure you that it is no different in stability than plain maple."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's true. But ONLY if the neck has a hard finish, like clearcoating. You'll notice that Warmoth's web site also says that they won't warranty non-finished (oiled or raw) necks. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Like I mentioned before, I have two figured maple necks. Both are clearcoated. And both are just as stable as any of my other necks. In fact, probably a bit MORE stable than my plain maple oiled necks.

Comment

Matt was saying that he was talking to Mike Kotzen about my guitar and he said that a major benefit of adding graphite rods is that they increase the sustain of the guitar.....sounds good to me!
                        Popular is not the same as good
                        Rare is not the same as valuable
                        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
                        X