Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm about to order a custom shop and.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm about to order a custom shop and.......

....does anyone have any comments about Custom quality / delivery times at present (well, basically since the FMIC buyout).

I've read the thread on Roody Rockers Rhoads and RemCarr's comment "we got these guitars in 2000, BTW...so way before all the BS that goes on now" has got me a bit concerned.

Just for interest, the guitar will be based on Dan Spitz's trans black XTRR, but will have mahogany wings behind a 3/4" quilt top.

I'm still debating a figured maple neck, but Mike @ Jackson has recomended that if I do that, it should be a 3 piece neck for stability. Unfortunately, to me that spoils the appearance and therefore, what's the point?

Any comments would be appreciated.....

Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: I\'m about to order a custom shop and.......

Well I can say that the quality of my BigRed is great and I had this conversation with Matt yesterday and he felt that the quality of the CS stuff has improved greatly
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Using figured wood for guitars with bigger neck profiles is usually fine. Even Lee won't do a Jackson thin neck profile with figured maple. Like you said he told me it isn't stable enough. So you can go with a thicker neck or what Mike said.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

The last custom I received was just before the buyout, so I have no direct post-FMIC experience yet. (..."Yet" because I'm still waiting on two guitars on order.) But I've heard nothing but general "improvement" trends since then, though.

Anyway, all of my customs pre-FMIC were top notch. ...So I've had no qualms about placing the third order I'm trying to get in now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As to the figured neck, how about just clearcoating it? That may not be quite as stable as a 3 piece neck, but it WILL be more stable than an oiled figured neck. And you'll still get to see all of that pretty wood. ...That's what I did on my last custom (birdseye maple), and it has never needed adjustment.

Comment

Edit: Come to think of it, my custom prior to THAT one is also clearcoated. That one is solid flamed maple. Insane figuring, and rock solid. It's never needed a so much as a tweak.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            ....does anyone have any comments about Custom quality / delivery times at present (well, basically since the FMIC buyout).

[/ QUOTE ]

All the custom pieces I've had come through here since the buyout have been extremely high quality. Turnaround times have been taking 6-12 months.

Hope that helps!

Matt
            Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All the custom pieces I've had come through here since the buyout have been extremely high quality. Turnaround times have been taking 6-12 months.

Hope that helps!

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

I aggree, the customs thta my clients have received have been 100% top shelf!
              Time out is generally on the longer side esp if you have an AT....

Comment

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but wouldn't a figured board on a QS Maple neck be stable?

Comment

If this makes any difference, this was going to be a figured neck with an ebony board...

Comment

a nice easy way to keep it 1pc is to put graphite rods in the neck (they go along side the truss rod). that way, you don't have to worry about the instability of figured maple. i think it's a $60 upcharge, but well worth it, imo.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      delivery times at present (well, basically since the FMIC buyout).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been told that my custom guitar is ready to ship [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] When it will arrive here it took approx. 15 months. And there is nothing fancy on it - as far as I can remember [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Sully,

That sounds ideal - I'll follow up on that.

I know they can't include everything on the form, but it'd be nice that if you select a figured maple neck you're forced to select either 3 piece or graphite inserts.....

I'd have thought that for $60 and 'pretty' as opposed to $120 and 'ugly' most folks would go for the graphite option.

Comment

That's interesting. They should have the graphite rods option mentioned on the Custom Shop quote form. Good to know that it exists as I am considering a KV2 style speed neck in flame maple and stability was a concern for me too.

Comment

If I am not mistaken, the 3 peice necks look like a 1 peice neck, you can`t see where the 3 peices meet. my Hamers have 3 peice stressed releived necks, and 1 is natural mahogany lcearcoated and you can`t see the 3 peices, it looks like a 1 peice neck. I reccomend the 3 peice neck. Jack.

Comment

My custom order will have a three piece flamed maple neck with an ebony board. I figured making it a three piece was strong enough?
                              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X