Custom Select Dealer in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Select Dealer in Canada

Hey guys I am planning to place my first custom select order. A little bit of background, my mom passed away in January and was a big supporter of me and my music. I have always thought about getting a custom Jackson so I thought it would be great to have something to remember her by and allow her to continue supporting me. I live in Vancouver, Canada and on the Jackson website the only Canadian retailer is Tundra Music in Toronto. I called them and and talked to Matt and sent in a spec sheet to get a quote. I wanted to find out about the process and approximate pricing, but it sounded like he needed to talk to the shop more first. My understanding of the process from reading posts on here is that you send in your spec sheet, Jackson quotes you a price and time, then you make a deposit of 80% (?), and then you wait until it gets built, pay the rest of the cost and then claim your prize. Has anyone else in Canada bought a guitar through Tundra and how was the experience? I was thinking to call a few of the guitar stores in Vancouver to see if they can do custom select orders so it is easier to deal with. Any other Canadians or Vancouverites have recommendations on a store if there are other ones? What was the pricing like in CAD? I am expecting easily $4000-$5000.

I also have some questions about specs. I am going to order a Kelly and these are the specs I've decided on. There are a few things that I want to find out more about underneath.
    Body: Kelly, trans red burst with flame maple top
    Neck: Maple, Ebony fretboard, shark fins, matching body, 6 in-line headstock, black binding, natural oil, speed neck (?), 24 jumbo frets
    Hardware: Black, recessed Floyd Rose, 1 vol w/ 3 way toggle, Seymour Duncan Black Winter set with black pickup rings

All in all the build is pretty standard. I was thinking to go really wild with abalone, reverse headstock, reverse sharks, pretty much any of the specs that you can't get on a production run Jackson. But, I am definitely more of a traditionalist and think it would be a little over the top for me. I know there are a bunch of trans coloured KE2s out there that will have pretty close specs to what I want so if anyone wants to get rid of one before I place an order let me know.

1) I own a KEXMG and the controls are a bit tighter together than on a KE2 and they are tucked more out of the way under the trem. I am for sure going 1 vol and 3 way toggle. Does that mean I should spec 1/2" back on my custom select order? Alternatively, I was thinking to put the volume where the tone is and have the switch where the volume is or some variation of that so it is easier to change pickups and I won't bump the volume knob.

2) I think I will prefer having the strap button in line with the centre of the guitar rather than further up the horn which is only done on the US Kellys. Anyone else able to spec that before? I did see a thread on how the weight/neck dive changes if the strap button is higher, but it looked like it depended on the guitar and person. My KEXMG sits perfect. If you have a US Kelly, how do you find the higher strap button?

3) I was doing some reading and it sounds like the Kelly should have a speed neck but the 12th fret dimension on the spec sheet is different than the Warrior and King V. Someone suggested it may be a typo on the newer versions of the spec sheet. I am going to measure the neck dimensions on my KEXMG to see how they compare to the ones on the order sheets to check if the feel will be similar. The KEXMG write up says speed neck. Can anyone confirm if it is a speed neck on the custom select?

4) A long time ago I wanted a Kelly in trans green cause there was one in the catalog I had. I also really like the Chlorine Burst. However, I think red is more my colour and the burst on the Corey Beaulieu V looks deadly.

Sick trans green KE2 Corey Beaulieu signature V in trans red burst synapsistheory's chlorine burst king V \,,/

It's a tough choice between trans red, green, and blue (all the KE3 colours haha). In regards to the trans red burst I'm sure they will do a great job. I just don't want it to look like this... LOL

Does anyone know of any trans reds that have the same fading style as the chlorine burst? Clearer red to more opaque red. Chlorine burst style may end up being more pink anyway. I think the trans red burst will do the trick if it is just dark on the edges. Like I said I don't want it to be too dark like above... Straight trans red seems too abrupt and flashy and Corey's V looks deadly! Does the custom shop accept additional info for getting the colour perfect? (I'll get them to reference that pic)

5) The last thing, I was going to spec ivoroid binding until I saw these photos of MNash87's Kelly and didn't really like it with the red. Then I found this Kelly on Reverb that makes me think it could be okay... The Corey Beaulieu V has black binding and it looks wicked so I'll probably just do that though. I just find the black binding on ebony seems kinda dumb. On an unfinished neck it might make more sense cause you will see it between the wood and the finish. Any thoughts?

MNash87's trans red Kelly Reverb trans red burst Kelly

If you read all the way to the bottom, thanks! Otherwise, I hope you at least got to see some sweet guitars. Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers \,,/
    Last edited by gnarzan; 09-30-2020, 04:24 AM.
    2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
    Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
    Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
    Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Hey,

I guess the first thing to cover is the concept of the “Custom Shop Dealer”. Any authorized Jackson reseller can order a custom select for you. The “Custom Shop Dealers” are jusr higher volume dealers who get promoted on the Jackson website, nothing more. The one advantage to a “Custom Shop Dealer” is that the volume they operate at gives them more leverage with the Jackson Custom Shop... if they are willing to use that leverage for your order is a different thing altogether.

If you have a digital image of the control layout you want, provide it to your Jackson dealer and have them send it to Jacskon with your spec sheet. In the comments put: “See pic for custom control layout”. A custom control layout will probably cost around $250.

As with the control layout, if you can find a digital image with the strap buttons where you want them, include that with your spec sheet and reference the image in the comments of the spec sheet. Otherwise, you have to verbally describe where you want the button... which could be hit or miss.

Yes, the Kelly neck spec on the order sheet is not the speed neck profile. We had a brief discussion of this in another thread recently. Not sure if this is a typo on the order sheet or if that actually represents the Kelly neck profile. You can specify the neck profile on the spec sheet. The traditional speed neck is simply entered as “Speed Neck” on the spec sheet. If there is a reason for the stock neck measurements, Jackson will refuse the spec and let you know what they can do on a Kelly.

I get unbound fretboards on all of my Custom orders. The rolled edges are phenomenal on their unbound necks. You also get to see that they use a nice slab of ebony for the fretboard.

Do you plan on doing anything like stainless steel frets? Graphite reinforced truss rod? What tuners are you thinking of? Will you go Schaller strap locks or regular strap buttons? What kind of top are you going for? Floyd for the bridge? Eurethane or Poly for the top coat?

I would personally go for something visually unique (like the abalone logo/frets) to distinguish the guitar as a one off, custom order.

Comment

while it is true that you may not have balancing issues with the higher strap button, it is always the case that on a kelly the lower strap button will balance better than the higher one. this is a consequence of any guitar with a similar shape with a large rear bout and no upper horn (e.g. star, etc.). the higher up the strap button, the further away from the center of mass is the point of force, thus increasing the torque causing neck dive. unfortunately, without an upper horn spaced adequately on the opposite side of the center of mass, the opposite side of the strap often does not provide enough torque to stop neck dive. so, while you might get lucky, if neck dive bothers you in the slightest (I can't stand it), you will be taking a gamble at using the higher strap button. of course, if you don't mind potentially moving the strap button after receipt, none of this is a problem. you could even leave the original position (high or low, whatever you order) in place and install a third in the alternative location.

any way, guitar looks like it will turn out great! good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
        Hey,

I guess the first thing to cover is the concept of the “Custom Shop Dealer”. Any authorized Jackson reseller can order a custom select for you. The “Custom Shop Dealers” are jusr higher volume dealers who get promoted on the Jackson website, nothing more. The one advantage to a “Custom Shop Dealer” is that the volume they operate at gives them more leverage with the Jackson Custom Shop... if they are willing to use that leverage for your order is a different thing altogether.

If you have a digital image of the control layout you want, provide it to your Jackson dealer and have them send it to Jacskon with your spec sheet. In the comments put: “See pic for custom control layout”. A custom control layout will probably cost around $250.

As with the control layout, if you can find a digital image with the strap buttons where you want them, include that with your spec sheet and reference the image in the comments of the spec sheet. Otherwise, you have to verbally describe where you want the button... which could be hit or miss.

Yes, the Kelly neck spec on the order sheet is not the speed neck profile. We had a brief discussion of this in another thread recently. Not sure if this is a typo on the order sheet or if that actually represents the Kelly neck profile. You can specify the neck profile on the spec sheet. The traditional speed neck is simply entered as “Speed Neck” on the spec sheet. If there is a reason for the stock neck measurements, Jackson will refuse the spec and let you know what they can do on a Kelly.

I get unbound fretboards on all of my Custom orders. The rolled edges are phenomenal on their unbound necks. You also get to see that they use a nice slab of ebony for the fretboard.

Do you plan on doing anything like stainless steel frets? Graphite reinforced truss rod? What tuners are you thinking of? Will you go Schaller strap locks or regular strap buttons? What kind of top are you going for? Floyd for the bridge? Eurethane or Poly for the top coat?

I would personally go for something visually unique (like the abalone logo/frets) to distinguish the guitar as a one off, custom order.
        Cool thanks for the custom shop dealer clarification. I thought only specific places could do it. I'll check with some of the shops in Vancouver to see if they are up to doing the order.

Good to know I can send in images for clarification. I've heard of people sending supplementary material, but I thought it might just be for higher profile orders or masterbuilt orders.

I'll just spec speed neck for now then and see what they say. If Indonesia can do it I'm sure it'll be fine.

No binding would look okay on the neck, but I think the headstock looks odd with the wood on the edge and then paint on the top. I wonder what it would look like with no binding along the side and matching flame maple top on the headstock.

Thanks for mentioning stainless steel frets, graphite reinforcement, etc. I actually glossed over some of those specs cause I just saw the default entry and thought it seemed good. I'm gonna go with SS jumbo frets, graphite reinforcement, recessed floyd rose, shcaller locking tuners (kinda redundent but string changes are way easier), standard button strap pins cause I use pop top bottle gaskets (Grolsch beer) as a strap lock and it works great, flamed maple top with matching headstock, truss rod cover, luminlay dots, polyester coat (is that the standard one?), and pearl inlays and logo. I was thinking to get a reduced size logo to show more colour on the headstock, but I think it'll just feel weird not having full size.

I think a lot of the options are intriguing because you can't normally get them. Maybe I'll just have to get another guitar if this one turns out well.
        Thanks for all the info Cap'n

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

You're right metalhobo. Best not to take a chance on the balance and just get what I know will work.

Cheers

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Here is the skinny on Polyeurethane vs Eurethane. This is what the Jackson Custom Shop said when I inquired:

Poly is applied thicker, is softer, and has less UV protection than Eurethane.

Eurethane is a considerably thinner coat, much harder, and has higher UV protection.

Poly is more prone than Eurethane to get that “sticky” feeling when playing.

I think if you go with Abalone or MoP, you have to do 100% logo size. Ask your Custom Shop Retailer and they can verify with Jackson. I know for sure that Abalone requires a 100% logo size.

When the Dinky I currently have being built in the Custom Shop gets delivered, will be able to answer your question about how an unbound headstock looks with a quilted top on the headstock.

Here is one of my Custom Shops with an unbound neck and headstock. The headstock is painted white with a Eurethane top coat:

Last edited by CaptNasty; 10-01-2020, 08:46 AM.

Comment

jackson won't apply polyester clear (the usual default) over white finishes or white binding, if that tells you anything about its tendency to yellow. the urethane clear coat is also an upcharge of few hundred.

Comment

I am inclined to get polyester because that is what I am used to on all my other guitars. I am gonna get an oiled neck so stickiness shouldn't be a problem for my fretting hand. I don't think the body paint will affect my picking hand too much. I feel like polyester will be a bit more rugged if it bumps into anything. The colour is pretty dark too so fading shouldn't be much of an issue.

I'll probably just go 100% pearl then. Do they use real MOP? Other threads would suggest yes. With the CITES restrictions I am a bit worried about shipping a guitar from the US. I am guessing Jackson would handle all the paperwork to ship it though and has had to deal with it before.

Yea it's not that it looks bad, more so that it looks more complete with binding to me. I recently got an Ibanez RGR420-EX that has binding on the neck but not on the headstock and not having binding on the headstock just looks odd. Partial binding doesn't help though haha. Do you have a picture of the unbound ebony neck? Or a link to that guitar's NGD if it is recent?

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Talking to L&M in Vancouver (one of the larger music companies in Canada) about doing the custom order. The guy I was talking to said he could probably get a Kelly in trans red from one of their suppliers. This was news to me. I thought (now-a-days) you could only get white or black on USA guitars and if you wanted anything else it had to be custom select. The trans red kelly will be $5299 CAD so I think I want to go custom if I am gonna spend that much. Also, trans red burst just looks way sweeter than trans red.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Originally posted by gnarzan View Post
                    Talking to L&M in Vancouver (one of the larger music companies in Canada) about doing the custom order. The guy I was talking to said he could probably get a Kelly in trans red from one of their suppliers. This was news to me. I thought (now-a-days) you could only get white or black on USA guitars and if you wanted anything else it had to be custom select. The trans red kelly will be $5299 CAD so I think I want to go custom if I am gonna spend that much. Also, trans red burst just looks way sweeter than trans red.
                    well there's also the question... do you want a red kelly NOW or a red burst kelly in 18-20 months?

Comment

Yea now that I'm this far in I feel like I should just go custom. Especially since it is a more sentimental piece. Doing custom lets me get everything exactly how I want it. I've got other guitars to play in the meantime.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

Originally posted by gnarzan View Post
                        Talking to L&M in Vancouver (one of the larger music companies in Canada) about doing the custom order. The guy I was talking to said he could probably get a Kelly in trans red from one of their suppliers. This was news to me. I thought (now-a-days) you could only get white or black on USA guitars and if you wanted anything else it had to be custom select. The trans red kelly will be $5299 CAD so I think I want to go custom if I am gonna spend that much.
                        LA Music carries USA Jacksons.

The last year a Trans Red KE2 was offered on a USA Select was around '06 according to the catalogues. It'd no doubt have chrome hardware and the USA MSRP was $2800ish ($3700 CND).
                        If the guitar is indeed that old, surely they could do much better on the price?

If they got that guitar 15 years or more ago they got it for a pittance compared to today's prices.
                        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Stupid ass slow internet made me post twice...
                          Anyway, that would be the line I'd give 'em.
                          Last edited by Mudlark; 10-04-2020, 12:45 AM.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Ahh so I may be right that Jackson only makes white and black right now. Maybe L&M have some way of ordering the select in a different colour? Similar to custom select but just the finish. Or like you said it is a 15 year old guitar haha. Probably the later. After talking with L&M I don't feel very confident in them getting the custom select exactly the way I want it. It sounds like they have a guy that they talk to to put the order in and not straight to Jackson. I will be ordering through Tundra Music cause it sounds like they are in direct contact and have a much better rapport with Jackson. They also just seem more stoked about doing a custom order. Sounds like they mainly coordinate custom guitar orders for a bunch of different brands and work with some pretty high profile people and have a music store on the side.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

I could only guess about the L&M Kelly, but the Black/White limited choice started 7-8 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X