No announcement yet.

Jackson USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my only picture of my Magenta Soloist from the 80's. The picture was taken when I first bought it. I was one happy long haired dude. It is shown with the original Kahler from the factory. I ended up installing a Floyd Rose at a later time.

Like a fool I sold her in the 90's because of the color..

Has anybody seen my baby out there? This guitar played like butter!! I want her back.

[IMG]
    Last edited by chucke; 01-19-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I'd guess it's all just human error, but nothing to be concerned with.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        I'd guess it's all just human error, but nothing to be concerned with.
        Unless the tag is faked or forged for some reason. But I don't see a reason to do it.

Comment

Sorry about that. I jacked up my own thread by having an eighties flash back....

Anyway, I got the guitar setup very well if I do say so myself.

The action is low and fast with no fret buzz. All notes ring unplugged.

The pickups are not my cup of tea.... There looks to be a small circuit board and EMG pots installed.

Beginning to look like more of a pain than I was expecting. Now I need to buy pots as well as pickups.

Does anybody know what the original pots are?

Comment

EMGs tend to go with Mesas. Passives with Marshalls.

What type of amp are you playing?

Comment

EMGs use 25k pots so they dont go with passive pickups. Passives usually use 500k and 250k pots.

Comment

I am a Marshall guy. JCM 800 with an OCD or whatever.

I play classic rock and metal.

Zeppelin, RUSH (2112 era), Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Ozzy w/Randy and various modern metal stuff.

I need pickups that clean up well.

This is my first shredder in a while.

My other guitars are PRS and Les Pauls.
                Last edited by chucke; 01-21-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

If you want to switch to passive pickups, you will need not just new pots, but also a monaural (mono) output jack. Active pickups like EMGs use a stereo output jack to engage the battery/circuit when a patch cable is plugged into the guitar and disengage the battery when unplugged.

Comment

Originally posted by chucke View Post
                    I am a Marshall guy. JCM 800 with an OCD or whatever.

I play classic rock and metal.

Zeppelin, RUSH (2112 era), Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Ozzy w/Randy and various modern metal stuff.

I need pickups that clean up well.

This is my first shredder in a while.

My other guitars are PRS and Les Pauls.
                    I am late for the party I would give the EMGs a try, I also play that kind of music, if you keep the gain of the 800 on the low side and you use a distortion plus to get the distortion they can work, their clean sound is a little cristalline but not too bad.

For passive,I would NOT recommend the JB,it's nasty with a nasal sound, I prefer the Custom Custom and an Alnico 2 pro or pearly gates. The Dimarzio TZ/AN works well on one of my guitars if you like a relatively dark sound.
                    '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                    '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                    '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                    '92 Fender Strat scallop
                    '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                    '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      If you want to switch to passive pickups, you will need not just new pots, but also a monaural (mono) output jack. Active pickups like EMGs use a stereo output jack to engage the battery/circuit when a patch cable is plugged into the guitar and disengage the battery when unplugged.
                      His jack is fine, he just doesnt hook up the extra circuit
                      A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

That's a standard SL2H in trans red and the previous owner swapped pickups. Not too much mystery to it.

Sweet guitar! I got my trans blue at about the same time that was built (seems like 2006 from the serial) and wanted a trans red. I couldn't find one, and no dealer I talked to said it could be had unless I went through the custom shop? Strange, but that looks to be a totally normal SL2H in every respect aside from a color which seemingly is rare.

Comment

Working...
                        X