Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson USA

Hello there Jackson people!

I recently purchased a used Jackson USA. It was listed online as a SL2HF. It looks to be a Soloist with EMG's?

Did they make Soloist's with EMG's or were they installed by owner?

Is that model number valid? I could not find any info online.

I could not pass up the deal for $1299. The guitar is in near mint condition.

BTW: I plan on installing passive pickups.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG][IMG]
    Last edited by chucke; 01-19-2018, 09:05 AM.

Welcome. Nice SL2H. Never heard of an F designation after it, but it looks like a nice red flame top. Maybe someone thought the F is for flame. And they don't usually come with EMGs, either.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Welcome. Nice SL2H. Never heard of an F designation after it, but it looks like a nice red flame top. Maybe someone thought the F is for flame. And they don't usually come with EMGs, either.
      Okay cool, so it is a soloist SL2H. I should be receiving it in a few days.

The pickups are EMG 81/85's. If I like the guitar I plan on installing passive pickups.

I hope that they were able to install a 9v nice and clean. Is there a lot of room for one?

Also, I am told the serial number is 16982. What year is that? I cant find any info.

Thanks,
      Chuck
      Last edited by chucke; 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

The Dinky came with EMGs some years ago, I don't remember a Soloist SL2H with them.
        Can you post a photo of the back part of the guitar?? Does it have the 9v battery housing??

Another uncommon spec is that trans finishes should have chrome hardware.

Anyway, with also that matching headstock it's a very beautiful guitar.
        Original case and tags included??
        Last edited by Luca1973; 01-17-2018, 07:19 AM.

Comment

U16982 would be mid-2006. U170xx was June '06.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The control cavity in soloist has lot of room for a 9v battery.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

This is actually my third Soloist. I had a Magenta Soloist in the mid eighties. Like a fool I sold it in the nineties because of the color? That guitar played like butter!

Then I bought a Black Soloist in the early 2000's and sold it.

Hopefully this one is as nice as described.

How do I paste images into the post??

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post
                The Dinky came with EMGs some years ago, I don't remember a Soloist SL2H with them.
                Can you post a photo of the back part of the guitar?? Does it have the 9v battery housing??

Another uncommon spec is that trans finishes should have chrome hardware.

Anyway, with also that matching headstock it's a very beautiful guitar.
                Original case and tags included??
                It comes with original case. No battery housing.
                Last edited by chucke; 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

No battery housing on a so recent guitar makes me think to a change of pickups by the previous owner, with the battery placed inside the control cavity.

Rather...I'm curious about the black hardware.
                  At that time they use to come standard with matching headstock and chrome hardware on trans colors...and if I don't go wrong still it is so.

Comment

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post
                    No battery housing on a so recent guitar makes me think to a change of pickups by the previous owner, with the battery placed inside the control cavity.

Rather...I'm curious about the black hardware.
                    At that time they use to come standard with matching headstock and chrome hardware on trans colors...and if I don't go wrong still it is so.
                    Thanks for pointing this out. I will take a close look at the Floyd install in particular to see if it was installed and setup properly. It must have cost him a good amount for the bridge, pickups and tuners alone. The back plates are black as well.

I called the guitar store (GC) before making the purchase.

According to the employee;

frets - zero to minimal wear
                    setup - close to factory setup. good action no fret buzz
                    cosmetics - only a few minimal scratches

If I don't like it, I can return to local GC. I would only be out $23 for shipping.

It looked nicer than most Soloists going for $1500 or more. So I jumped on it.

I personally like the black hardware more than the chrome.

Hopefully it is a keeper.

Comment

The backplates are always black, also with chrome hardware (or at least..in my Soloist are black)

It's absolutely a beautiful guitar, if you will feel good with the neck, you won't be disappointed.

And as for the EMGs...you can always change them.
                      I suggest a couple of WHITE Duncans, they would give a killer look to that baby.

Comment

I hate changing pickups. Too many to choose from.... I was thinking cream DiMarzio PAF's.

Or the stock Duncans that it originally came with.

I don't prefer high output pickups.
                        Last edited by chucke; 01-17-2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chucke View Post
                          Too many to choose from....
                          Yesss, absolutely, I agree....in my opinion, the half of the models are even useless

My favourite pickups are the Pearly Gates and Custom-Custom
                          Both from S.Duncan, both Alnico2...

Comment

Or the stock Duncans that it originally came with.

Well that will be a trick.

The stock Duncans would be the 59n / JB combo. The JB is pretty high output, so you would not prefer it

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              Well that will be a trick.

The stock Duncans would be the 59n / JB combo. The JB is pretty high output, so you would not prefer it
                              Interesting statement...

Those are considered medium output pickups not high output.

Comment

Working...
                              X