Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson Adrian Smith Super Distorsion... F Spaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Adrian Smith Super Distorsion... F Spaced?

Hello

Can anyone tell me if the Jackson Adrian Smith bridge pickup (Dimarzio Super Distortion) is F Spaced?

Thank you and best regards.

It should be.

Are the strings aligned with the poles? If so, then yes...

Comment

I bought the second hand guitar without bringing the original pickup, so I can not answer that question. That is why I ask the question to the forum ... in case someone can answer me.

Thanks.

Comment

It has a Floyd, so I think it's safe to assume it originally came with a f-spaced humbucker...

Comment

Yes, I guess so, too. I just wanted confirmation of that ...

Thank you very much.

Comment

The only guitar brand that does not include wide-spaced bridge pickups on their tremolo-equipped guitars is Ibanez.

I realize pickups are strong enough and envelop the strings with an all-encompassing magnetic field that makes polepiece spacing relatively insignificant when contributing to tone and output (at least I can't tell the difference), but come on, a big brand like Ibanez should not be overlooking this cosmetic (to me) issue.

Below is a photo of a JEM with what I believe is a standard-spaced DiMarzio PAF Pro, and a photo of my RG570 with stock standard-spaced V8 pickup. Both guitars have the Ibanez Edge tremolo, warranting F-spaced pickups if the proper cosmetic look is desired.

Comment

Well ... I think that's not true. According to DiMarzio's website:

"F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90 "(48 mm)"

My Jem 7DBK comes with the series pickups (DiMarzio Breed) and they are F Spaced (51mm)

Does any member of the forum have the Jackson Adrian Smith (the SDX model or the made in USA) and can confirm if use an F Spaced pickup on the bridge?

Thanks and regards

Comment

If I remember correctly Dimarzio did not start to make F-spaced humbuckers until 1990.

Comment

Should be F-spaced. Though, it doesn't really matter, as it will sound the same.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
                    If I remember correctly Dimarzio did not start to make F-spaced humbuckers until 1990.
                    So? The Adrian Smith model didn't come around until the past few years.

Comment

It's not F spaced.

Last edited by Grandturk; 05-08-2017, 08:05 PM.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        It's not F spaced.
                        Greeeeeat. Now the misalignment cannot be unseen.

Comment

Thanks to all for your time (especially Grandturk for the photo).

Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            So? The Adrian Smith model didn't come around until the past few years.
                            Smith said in some interview that F-spaced humbuckers just don't sound the same. And insisted standard spaced Super Distortion on his signature model.

Comment

Okay. I don't understand why you mentioned 1990, though. They do make both spacing today. And there really isn't much difference in tone since it's got a ceramic magnet and a wide range of magnetic pull around the strings, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X