2 Years And Counting: CS Wait Times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
    I think it's time JC invested in some CNC machines. Maybe that way they'll be able to cut down on wait times AND be able to get the Floyd posts positioned correctly.
    I'm pretty sure that the USA Selects are partially CNC'ed. I think they do the bodies with CNC and finish it off by hand. I doubt they have the latest and greatest in CNC machinery though, since I'm sure there exist machines that can do an entire body and neck without the need for human interaction at all to finish off any body shaping. Unless there's some kind of wacky custom order don't know why you even need someone to shape any bodies by hand. Even that though, hire someone who can model the body in 3D on a computer and send it to the machine. I would RATHER buy a 100% CNC-cut body and neck.

The custom shop/USA select line needs like 5 more builders and modernized equipment. Watch the wait time disappear and the quality go up.

Then again, I don't have firsthand knowledge of their processes but due to the wait time and the handful of people working there this would seem to be a easily fixable situation if FMIC would dump a small amount of their bajillions of dollars into the brand.

Comment

For the record, my 2 new CS (not select) Soloists where 100% hand made. I was suprised but that's how they do it.

Comment

Yeah, USA Select and Custom Select are CNC'd - I was that was part of the reason why they wouldn't allow pickup or control config changes initially. And apparently it's why they still won't allow the DK1 rear control rout on a Soloist..
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rocks View Post
          For the record, my 2 new CS (not select) Soloists where 100% hand made. I was suprised but that's how they do it.
          That's the way it should be done when you're dropping 3 to 4K on an instrument in my opinion and I wouldn't change a thing.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
            That's the way it should be done when you're dropping 3 to 4K on an instrument in my opinion and I wouldn't change a thing.
            +1

Comment

It's just an opinion, but I disagree. I want a guitar to be the best possible. If that can be done by hand, then great. If it is done by CNC, I don't mind that either. Hand-made definitely adds a personal touch to an instrument, but it can also lead to inconsistencies when luthiers are having a bad day, high, angry, etc. Things like 23 frets, crooked pickup routs, off-center tremolo routs, etc. Plus, it slows down build times.

Most CNC instruments still get a lot of hand-work anyway. Check out the PRS videos. That is a great blend of machine and hand-work IMO.
              Last edited by Chad; 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                Hand-made definitely adds a personal touch to an instrument, but it can also lead to inconsistencies when luthiers are having a bad day, high, angry, etc. Things like 23 frets, crooked pickup routs, off-center tremolo routs, etc.

But the personal touch is why we shouldn't buy things online. Every unit is different. We need to get them in our hands first, to make sure they are what we want.
                Its those cheap chinese - every one exactly the same - items that are ok to buy unseen.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                  But the personal touch is why we shouldn't buy things online. Every unit is different. We need to get them in our hands first, to make sure they are what we want.
                  Its those cheap chinese - every one exactly the same - items that are ok to buy unseen.
                  Yeah, but this is a thread about 2+ year wait times on custom shop builds. There is no way to pre-test-drive a guitar that is custom spec'd and takes over two years to build.

Comment

Back to the original topic:

1 year & 8 months on one order...

2 years & 8 months on another...

I know they're both at least partially done, so progressing through build. Hopefully not too much longer for both.

Comment

Originally posted by ~K~ View Post
                      I'm at 3 years and counting. I'd actually given up on the order until some questions arose about it
                      After all the recent screw ups at Jackson, I have zero confidence in the CS. After 3 years, that thing better be godlike quality. Jcf should get a bet pool going on whether or not it'll actually arrive built to spec. I'll take the other side of anyone who wants to bet that it actually comes in built to spec.

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
                      Would LOVE to finally order my "dream Jackson"....but 2 years plus?? ....that & lack of confidence in the CS....yeah uhhmm no!!
                      +10

It's crazy to think that the world spins twice as fast as it takes Jackson to build a single guitar.

Comment

I just recieved my CS. Two and a half year wait.

Comment

Just so you guys know, Tim Wilson showed us some CNC equipment used on USA and CS Jacksons back in Jan 2003. The guitars have some operations done my CNC and others by hand. Unless something changed with the move to Corona, CNC machines have been used to build our beloved Jacksons. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dukeman5 View Post
                            First off, Congrats!!! now where are the pix and specs of said magnificent CS machine?
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dukeman5 View Post
                              And... ? How is it? Quality? Specs correct? Correct number of frets? All kidding aside, I AM curious as to how it turned out because, well, fuck it, I got one coming soon. I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                                Just so you guys know, Tim Wilson showed us some CNC equipment used on USA and CS Jacksons back in Jan 2003. The guitars have some operations done my CNC and others by hand. Unless something changed with the move to Corona, CNC machines have been used to build our beloved Jacksons. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
                                If I remember correctly, that was just for neck blanks back then, and were still hand shaped and final sanded.

As far as I know, they're still using templates for the body.

The necks are all done by CNC now I think. Both recent CS Charvels I've owned had the rolled edges CNC'd before the frets were installed... those rolled edges were too perfect, not that that's bad... but it just wasn't done by hand like it used to be. The rolled edge goes all the way from one end to the other, and the fret ends are cut just shy of the fretboard end. Time saving from rolling the edges after installing the frets and filing the fret ends, like they did in the 80's and 90's with the rolled edge starting and stopping at each fret. This had to cut at least a couple hours from each build....
                                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X