When did THIS happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did THIS happen?

When the fuck did the DK1 Dinky control layout become a problem for me? Specifically, the volume knob placement? Sure, I've bitched and moaned about the knob placement on SL2H's being too close and inadvertently rolling down the volume while I flailed away. But never had that issue with the DK1's. Until recently Goddamnit! My DK1 shares stage/play time with other brands that don't have this issue. Fact is, I'm quite used to the layout on those but I love the way the DK1 plays. The sound and tone is the tits and the trem is fucking excellent. Hate to give that up because I keep hitting the volume knob!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRz2F4aCLp0

How about a felt pad under the volume knob to give it extra resistance? That way it wont be so easy to turn. I used to have the same issue, but more live playing has gotten me used to it as I find myself using the knob more often now... Now I find myself wishing I had low friction pots. But I know you use the hell out of the bar so I can see where youre coming from.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

This bugs me also. On both models. My hand gets tense because I don't want to hit the knob. I need room for soloing.

Comment

If you don't use the tone knob then switch the volume and tone positions and leave the tone unhooked.
        Last edited by hunter1970; 02-02-2014, 10:59 PM.

Comment

For me it's all about the non-recessed versus recessed trems on these Jacksons. Non-recessed: no issue with vol knob. Recessed: CRASH!

Comment

http://rsguitarworks.net
            Get a super pot they won't roll down if you bump in to it.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              For me it's all about the non-recessed versus recessed trems on these Jacksons. Non-recessed: no issue with vol knob. Recessed: CRASH!
              I 2nd that.

Although, just to clarify, my non recessed are old grover-era usa models, while my recessed are all post-grover imports.

Comment

Fact is, the trem doesn't play into this as much as my hand hitting the vol. knob. And it's barely noticeable- one second I'm at full volume, the next I'm almost at half and wondering, "how the fuck did THAT happen- I didn't feel a thing!" I'm sure that with a bit more time on this I'll grow used to it. Certainly swapping the vol. for the tone and leaving the vol. hole empty is another option (one that I'm not real keen on, as it looks like shit) The felt pad is a nice option save for the fact that I do some volume knob wackiness from time to time, i.e. EVH's elephant noises and a smooth, easy turn pot is needed.
                Fuck it, if they'd just move that knob 3/4 inch back towards the heel, I think it'd be fine. Luckily, I ordered the knob placements on my custom shop Charvel and Jackson to do just that. Heh heh- IF and when my CS Jackson is delivered, I may not have a need for the DK1 anyway. Problem solved.

I'm gonna have to figure this out or put her up on the block. <sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                  Certainly swapping the vol. for the tone and leaving the vol. hole empty is another option (one that I'm not real keen on, as it looks like shit)
                  You could swap them, unhook the tone, then put the unconnected tone pot in the volume hole. So it won't do anything when you bump it, but the guitar still looks normal.

(I think that's what hunter1970 was suggesting)

Comment

Hmm. Yeah, that would work... but the issue of access to the vol. knob for the aforementioned volume swells and whatnot still would be there...

Comment

Hmm. Yeah, that would work... but the issue of access to the vol. knob for the aforementioned volume swells and whatnot still would be there...
                      True.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                        http://rsguitarworks.net
                        Get a super pot they won't roll down if you bump in to it.
                        +1
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

About those RS pots- they suitable for EMG's? Don't EMG's require 25K vs. the 500K?

Comment

About those RS pots- they suitable for EMG's? Don't EMG's require 25K vs. the 500K?
                            That's a valid point I am not sure.:think:
                            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Would have to use 25k for sure... 500k isn't suitable for actives. I don't buy into the whole "super pot" snake oil. Im perfectly happy with my $4 alpha or stock EMG pots.
                              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                              X