What exactly did I get tonight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly did I get tonight?

Just acquired this beauty. I think it's a 2004 SL1, and the graphic is signed by Dan Lawrence. It's USA, but is it custom shop? And how rare is it/what is it worth? It's in mint condition, never been played with the original hang tags, case, etc.

RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Nice score! It's a select series Pile o' Skulls.

Comment

I don't know anything about it other than it is NICE!!!
      I like black and white guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        Nice score! It's a select series Pile o' Skulls.
        +1 It's a USA Select just like Axe said. Nice score and HNGD!
        Last edited by leftykingv2; 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
          +1 It's a USA Select just like Axe said. Nice score and HNGD!

It's a great guitar, one of the best I've played! What's the difference between USA Select and USA?

I traded an old beat up 1972 strat for this and a 1985 JCM 800. I think I came out fair.. either way, the strat wasn't getting played, and this metal monster is already keeping up the neighbors!
          My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

Originally posted by savatage View Post
            What's the difference between USA Select and USA?
            Nothing?

I traded an old beat up 1972 strat for this and a 1985 JCM 800. I think I came out fair.. either way, the strat wasn't getting played, and this metal monster is already keeping up the neighbors!
            Yep, sounds like a good deal. I'd say a fair price for the axe is $1K and the same for the 1985 JCM 800. So in my book you got $2K for the 1972 Strat.

Comment

It's a great guitar, one of the best I've played! What's the difference between USA Select and USA?

+1 DonP. There is no difference between USA and USA Select. USA Select is what Jackson calls all USA models that aren't custom shop built. I think that's a pretty fair trade on both sides. It's a killer guitar for sure bro enjoy that bad boy! Great paint too! By the way nice screen name you got there! Oliva was a beast. It's such a shame he passed away so young. I love his playing.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

What's the difference between USA Select and USA?
                The question doesn't make sense. It's a USA, just not a custom spec'd one-off. The selects have/had a limited list of options and there are some out there exactly like yours. I'd say you made out fine on the trade.

Comment

Oh and fuck the neighbors!!! Crank that JCM 800 up and let that Jackson scream!

Comment

I just saw Jon Oliva live and he played a bunch of Criss-era Savatage songs... reminded me of how much I missed having Jackson guitars, so I'm glad with worked out. I have plenty of strats left, but before tonight I only had one 1990 Jackson Fusion (USA)

Comment

Ah, ok. I had read somewhere that USA Selects were made by the custom shop people but weren't custom shop guitars, while USA Jackson's were made elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        The question doesn't make sense. It's a USA, just not a custom spec'd one-off. The selects have/had a limited list of options and there are some out there exactly like yours. I'd say you made out fine on the trade.
                        +1 My buddy had the exact same guitar and sold it a couple of years back. It's a more rare graphic than say the "Ghost flames" but it's just a USA Select SL-1 with a $500 paint option.

Comment

Ah, ok. I had read somewhere that USA Selects were made by the custom shop people but weren't custom shop guitars, while USA Jackson's were made elsewhere.
                          They're all made in the same shop in Corona California by the same people.

Comment

You traded both the head and the strat? If so you got burned just a little IMO the head could pull $800 on its own and to the right person the strat could pull $1100.00.
                            A used USA soloist USA select isn't going to pull $1,900 in today's economy.
                            Of course it all depends on the condition of the head and strat and how much you have in them.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              You traded both the head and the strat? If so you got burned just a little IMO the head could pull $800 on its own and to the right person the strat could pull $1100.00.
                              A used USA soloist USA select isn't going to pull $1,900 in today's economy.
                              Of course it all depends on the condition of the head and strat and how much you have in them.
                              I got the head and the Jackson for the strat. The strat was in pretty good shape but had a scalloped neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X