New Custom Shop Order???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Custom Shop Order???

I usually deal with Dave Guinta of XLGuitars but he is not an authorized Custom Shop dealer. I live in Pgh. Pa. and we don't have an authorized Custom Shop Dealer here. I finished building my guitar on my downloaded Masterbuilt sheet that I printed. My main problem is according to M.S.R.P the guitar is going to cost $6600.00 Dollars which is insane. I am wondering who will give me the best actual price and who a good dealer is to order through. Also does anyone know what the price difference between M.S.R.P and retail is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I could use the dealer locator to find a shop but I want to send my money to someone who is the most reputable, respected and most honest to deal with. I don't want to hand the money over to a stranger is what I mean and this is my first Custom Shop Guitar. I know a lot of you guys have Custom Shop Models and I'd like your opinions on who I can trust for a fair and honest deal. Thx Guys!!!
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

I can't speak from experience, but from reading a lot on this board I know that Matt at Matt's Music Center (forum sponsor) is a go to guy for a custom build. J/C doesn't just let anybody handle custom orders because it can be complex (reference Vector's recent threads). Matt knows what he is doing.

MSRP and retail are the same thing. There is a nice discount off of that, but you'll have to contact Matt for specific info.
    Last edited by Chad; 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

That can't be true??? The Rhoads body shape alone is $4600.00 dollars MSRP. Plus another $400.00 for the left handed cost. Plus a USA select Rhoads cost only $2400.00 and the MSRP on it is $3699.00 MSRP can't be the same as actual cost. Thanks for the shop suggestion!
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

When I worked in the music retail biz, we typically knocked on average 30% off list price/MSRP. Do the math from there.
        Last edited by Matt_B; 09-05-2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
          That can't be true??? The Rhoads body shape alone is $4600.00 dollars MSRP. Plus another $400.00 for the left handed cost. Plus a USA select Rhoads cost only $2400.00 and the MSRP on it is $3699.00 MSRP can't be the same as actual cost. Thanks for the shop suggestion!
          Terms confusion. In retail lingo MSRP, retail, & list are all the same thing.

The common term for what you are asking about is "street price". Other substitutions would be out the door price, discounted price, etc.

The street price percentage off retail can vary and posting exact percentages on the forum is against J/C dealer contracts and forum rules. That's why I mentioned to contact Matt (or other dealer of your choice) directly.

Comment

You're always going to pay more for a Custom than the USA Select closest equivalent. The idea behind the USA Select line is that those features make up the large majority of Custom Orders - 2-hum, Floyd, fins, ebony, alder, neckthrough, binding, etc etc.

With a Custom, you're getting something different from "off the shelf", and typically built just a bit better by the most-skilled luthiers at Jackson.
            If you're looking for basically an RR1 with a reverse headstock, and no substantial deviation from the "off the shelf" design/layout, such as specific custom inlays or blank board, or some other feature the Rhoads doesn't have like H-S-H, save your money and learn to live without those frillies.

And I'll second the rec for Matt's Music. Ordered my CS 7-string Warrior through him and got a fair deal on it.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
              Terms confusion. In retail lingo MSRP, retail, & list are all the same thing.

The common term for what you are asking about is "street price". Other substitutions would be out the door price, discounted price, etc.

The street price percentage off retail can vary and posting exact percentages on the forum is against J/C dealer contracts and forum rules. That's why I mentioned to contact Matt (or other dealer of your choice) directly.
              Yeah I figured my lingo may not be right bro and again thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                You're always going to pay more for a Custom than the USA Select closest equivalent. The idea behind the USA Select line is that those features make up the large majority of Custom Orders - 2-hum, Floyd, fins, ebony, alder, neckthrough, binding, etc etc.

With a Custom, you're getting something different from "off the shelf", and typically built just a bit better by the most-skilled luthiers at Jackson.
                If you're looking for basically an RR1 with a reverse headstock, and no substantial deviation from the "off the shelf" design/layout, such as specific custom inlays or blank board, or some other feature the Rhoads doesn't have like H-S-H, save your money and learn to live without those frillies.

And I'll second the rec for Matt's Music. Ordered my CS 7-string Warrior through him and got a fair deal on it.
                What I wanted was a left handed snow white Rhoads with black bevels. one vol. one tone. three way toggle, block abalone inlays. Speed neck profile 24 medium sbb24 frets. gold plated hardware string through body tune o matic bridge Schaller locking tuners, bone nut. reverse head stock pearl inlay Jackson logo black color on the headstock so different from the body. neck and head binding in Ivoroid, custom shop ingraved truss rod cover, standard top wing jack. regular 12" to 16" compound radius alder body Qsawn maple neck. no pick guard rear loaded controls Duncan pick ups. Schaller locking strap buttons. The MSRP turned out to be $6600.00 on the nose so I was hoping it would have a nicer street price than that because that's astronomical. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the 7 string Warrior out the door??? Also will I really be waiting 18 to 24 months like the Masterbuilt order sheet says?
                Last edited by leftykingv2; 09-06-2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

+1 on Matt. I've ordered two customs form him thus far and have found him to be very easy to work with. He's tolerated me and my constantly-changing mind on this latest order.

Get accustomed to it: you will definitely be waiting for 2 years.

Comment

I have 2 CS's in the works now (thru paint at this point) and I've purchased them thru The Music Zoo. Ian refered me to them and Tim has been excellent to deal with in every way. I highly recommend them.

Also, they buy lot's of CS's and Fenders so they have a lot of pull with Jackson and that can be very helpful.

Comment

Matt is the best, period. Highly recommended.

And, no, you're not going to pay the full $6,600 list price. But discussing dealer discount levels with any specificity on the board is generally frowned upon. Talk to an actual dealer, and he will tell you his discounted price. The difference will be considerable.

Comment

Matt will work way harder for you than the guys at Music Zoo. Music Zoo wouldn't even try to work with me with an order bordering on CS "No Go's". I wanted to do something similar to Nelli's CS PC. Music Zoo just said, they said "no" and that was that. Matt pressured the Jackson Rep (I won't post his name so people won't bug him). Matt actually got me several concessions that Jackson rarely gives, but it wasn't enough for me. I ended up not ordering it because I found another means to get exactly what I wanted.

I'd happily order something from Music Zoo's site. They get nice stuff in, they ship fast and won't even haggle with you on a return. However, when you want specs on a Jackson that they'll probably say no to, Matt will take you farther unless you find a dealer-independent way of getting what you want.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Matt fucking rocks! \m/
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thank you guys!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                            Matt will work way harder for you than the guys at Music Zoo. Music Zoo wouldn't even try to work with me with an order bordering on CS "No Go's". I wanted to do something similar to Nelli's CS PC. Music Zoo just said, they said "no" and that was that. Matt pressured the Jackson Rep (I won't post his name so people won't bug him). Matt actually got me several concessions that Jackson rarely gives, but it wasn't enough for me. I ended up not ordering it because I found another means to get exactly what I wanted.

I'd happily order something from Music Zoo's site. They get nice stuff in, they ship fast and won't even haggle with you on a return. However, when you want specs on a Jackson that they'll probably say no to, Matt will take you farther unless you find a dealer-independent way of getting what you want.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Matt fucking rocks! \m/
                            My builds are pretty unique and lot's of small (easy to fuck up) details amd Tim at TMZ was nothing less than awesome.

He did more for me than others would and got Jackson to do my very thin neck profiles. So, I can't relate to your post at all. Mine are near done and will be posted so.

Comment

Nothing personal Dave Rocks, but my experiences with the Music Zoo, outside of a custom order have been less than reassuring. I'm glad you've had a good experience, thus far. Matt's been VERY communicative and goes the extra mile for me so, my money goes thru him. I can think of no higher praise than to say I trust him completely with a big dollar custom order.

Comment

Working...
                              X