Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: Check out my new (to me) 1989 custom strat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bad Apple View Post
    Axeweilder,

I have a pic of the neck pocket that the seller had posted. It's out of focus, unfortunately, but I tried to enhance it. I'll get better ones someday.

But, here's what it says:

There's a date of 5/6/89, and a WO number of 5869 (which is an odd coincidence). The neck is OBD. And it _looks_ like it says "tower" with a circled "V." I have no idea if those last two are correct!

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psef4f2a6a.jpg
    http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psaadddb32.jpg
    Amazing, it looks to be original. OBD = oiled neck, black headstock, decal. The V means volume-only I think, maybe the tone knob was added later? The control layout looks correct, so who knows. HHH is really unusual on a Jackson, and this is the only TOM strat I've ever seen (and the only whitewash finish too!) Congrats!

Comment

Yep, looks great. usually that would have been VT3M, vol, tone 3 mini's. there was an old charvel w 3 hums floating around years ago, don't remember if it was original or not, IIRC it was green.

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      Amazing, it looks to be original. OBD = oiled neck, black headstock, decal. The V means volume-only I think, maybe the tone knob was added later? The control layout looks correct, so who knows. HHH is really unusual on a Jackson, and this is the only TOM strat I've ever seen (and the only whitewash finish too!) Congrats!

Comment

Thanks, toejam.

I searched high and low for information on the color, and whitewash is one I never came across.
        that's because he just made it up!

Charvel had a trans white import model in the late 80s too. The Fusion Plus was available in trans white over ash (so very similar in appearance to yours) for a year, IIRC
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks, toejam.

I searched high and low for information on the color, and whitewash is one I never came across.
          Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          that's because he just made it up!

Charvel had a trans white import model in the late 80s too. The Fusion Plus was available in trans white over ash (so very similar in appearance to yours) for a year, IIRC
          Well, Carvin used to offer a finish like that, and it was called Whitewash. Not sure what Jackson would call it, but it looks similar.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This is awesome. Thanks, everyone!

I found this 1990 Charvel in trans white over ash, and it does look very similar, as VitaminG pointed out:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHARVEL-19...p2047675.l2557

It's also a one-piece body, which is pretty interesting.

Axeweilder, do you think the "tower" could actually be "tone + V," with the V circled? That would explain a few different things all at once.

So, I guess you all agree that I got a good deal, then?

Comment

I guess I really should take the neck off and see for myself. I'm a little scared to do that, honestly...

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                there was an old charvel w 3 hums floating around years ago, don't remember if it was original or not, IIRC it was green.
                That'd be this Charvel??

Several other 3-hum Charvels have surfaced over the years....there's this strathead....originality also unconfirmed:

& there's the 3 Def Leppard/Ibanez copies:

& others that were confirmed mods....Tonys old crackle strathead for example!!

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                  Yep, looks great. usually that would have been VT3M, vol, tone 3 mini's. there was an old charvel w 3 hums floating around years ago, don't remember if it was original or not, IIRC it was green.
                  j2379,

Could it say VT3M in the mess above "tower?" Or whatever looks like tower? Would it make any sense to say VT3M and then "tone + V?" Seems a bit redundant.

Comment

Amazing guitar! Definitely a remarkable NGD thread!

Comment

Do you realize that if you replaced the 2-way mini switches with 3-way mini switches and wired them up for coil taps, you'd have 27 possible tones? Well, 26 if you don't consider ALL OFF a "tone".

Comment

Do you realize that if you replaced the 2-way mini switches with 3-way mini switches and wired them up for coil taps, you'd have 27 possible tones? Well, 26 if you don't consider ALL OFF a "tone".
                        I think some people would say that's the tone of mine they like best...

Comment

I think some people would say that's the tone of mine they like best...

Cool guitar.

Comment

That.........is one nice axe

Comment

this is the only TOM strat I've ever seen
                              The guitarist from either Misery Index or Dying Fetus had a late 80's strathead Jackson with a strat body and a TOM. I couldn't find a picture, but I know it exists... or at least did.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                                The guitarist from either Misery Index or Dying Fetus had a late 80's strathead Jackson with a strat body and a TOM. I couldn't find a picture, but I know it exists... or at least did.
                                I'd love to see a pic of that thing!
                                _________________________________________________
                                "Artists should be free to spend their days mastering their craft so that working people can toil away in a more beautiful world."
                                - Ken M

Comment

Working...
                                X