Potential finish issue with my DK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JCB RR1 View Post
    Two questions: Isn't this something the warranty should cover??
    Have been wondering that myself.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The pessimist in me says that Jackson would blame it on environmental conditions and not cover it.

Comment

Eh, I dunno. I believe that Mike Learn is a Jackson certified guy, and he's chimed in, so.......perhaps?
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I would definitively give it try with the warranty coverage...Or send it right to Mike's...kinda hard for me....

My KE2's headstock, upon closer inspection in daylight, doesn't have delamination but has a weird effect on the clear coat.

I just compared both the KE2 and the RR1 headstocks. The RR1's got a very thin layer of clear coat above the edge of the binding, it is really hard to tell how thick it is.

On the other hand, the KE2 has a massive layer of clear coat, rising around 1mm above the edge of the binding, it's really easy to see through it and see a weird reflection on the edge of the clear coat and the MOP layer of the logo using a small led flashlight. It won't show on regular daylight.

I wish I had my other guitars with me to compare.

Do you happen to have this difference on your guitars???

Comment

I bought it on Ebay listed as Used. It came with the warranty and inspection cards but I assumed I don't get the full warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by decadence5423 View Post
              I bought it on Ebay listed as Used. It came with the warranty and inspection cards but I assumed I don't get the full warranty?
              Warranty applies when the guitar is bought new from an authorized dealer and only to the first owner.

If this bothers you, send it to Mike Learn, it'll be like new.

Comment

I hear ya, but this is kind of a known issue. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd cover it. I'd still send it to Mike if that's an option.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I am not sure where the factory falls on the finish issues in regards to warranty. But it won't hurt to check.
                  Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                  http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                    I am not sure where the factory falls on the finish issues in regards to warranty. But it won't hurt to check.
                    Yeah, check to be sure but I suspect they will try and call this "improper handling or care".
                    2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                    Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
                      Ouch.

Xoph, do you live somewhere humid?
                      It's humid OUTSIDE, but the guitars live inside and in cases. They still are minty and barely played except for the delamination (and a little dust). I just got one of them from another JCF member though, so I don't know its history except it was in another part of the country.

I'll bet the real cause is a manufacturing problem.

Comment

...and a little more info: The red one developed from clusters of very small bubbles. I think that's "solvent pop", not humidity or temperature change, but I am no finish expert, and maybe neither is the guy who finished them.

Comment

Originally posted by Xoph View Post
                          ...and a little more info: The red one developed from clusters of very small bubbles. I think that's "solvent pop", not humidity or temperature change, but I am no finish expert, and maybe neither is the guy who finished them.

I have never seen polyester solvent pop ever. There are not enough tail solvents in that material to gas off and create an issue. What you are seeing is the small areas of contact to the intermediate clear. When they lift, it causes small crater like fractures at the surface where the poly was applied. Now, it could be polyurethane that is solvent popping. But it isn't, as they only use polyurethane over light colors. The polyester has a tint to it and will change the colors like white and silver. What you are seeing, and if you notice, both of your headstocks have the shell logo. That requires quite a bit of material to bury those. This is what I was mentioning earlier. Why hasn't this happened at the opposite edge of your headstock where there is compression on the material caused by the tuning machines?

Too much material, things expand and contract. Where do you live?
                          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                            Too much material, things expand and contract. Where do you live?
                            Thanks for your input, Mike. Yes I see it's related to logos.

I live in the hot and humid south, but the red one never left my air-conditioned house, and the other one just arrived from the northeast.
                            I've got an older black RR1 with the same logo type and no problems even though it's worn from gigging and practice in a hot shed, so there are finishes that survive here well.

Comment

I had the same problem on my cherry burst DK1. Sent it back as a warranty issue and they fixed it up right quick. I was the original owner though and did buy from an authorized dealer, so had no issues getting it fixed. Took a little over a week.
                              "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Bump.
                                I just started another thread for this issue.Then Anders give me this thread link.

I have to say that I have seven jackson guitars ,but none of them has this issue.But I really have seen someone's jackson appeared this,include one of my friend.
                                He got it by used.Maybe the previous owner lives in extreme environment,just my assumption.

Thanks to Knockout and Mike provide a way to solve the problem.

Anyway,I will like Jackson till die.

Sorry for my bad english.......
                                \m/

Comment

Working...
                                X