Potential finish issue with my DK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential finish issue with my DK1

I purchased a basically new but sold as used DK1 a couple months ago. A few weeks after receiving it I noticed what looks like a small bubble under the clear coat in the headstock and you can feel it with your finger. You can really only notice in the right light. I snapped a picture of it and now I'm sure it's gotten a little bigger... It looks like it's traveling along the bottom towards the top of the headstock. Wondering if anyone has seen this before and what I can do about it. With the size it is right now it doesn't bother me but I don't really want this to be all along the headstock...

Here's the best I could for a picture:

Oh boy, looks like the start of the typical headstock clear delamination. This only happens on the necks that have unfinished backs like the DK1. I would reasonably assume its because they end the clearcoat at the corner of the binding. Chances are its going to get bigger, though someone here might have some tips to stop or fix it.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Clear example of post Fender Jackson.
      That is what I did..., and I am sure it is not very professional, but it worked. I treated it like a blister. Pop it with a very thin niddle and then put a tiny tiny drop of superglue in there with a syrenge and a niddle. Be extremelly carefull when playing with superglue around the guitars though.
      ...and please, anyone who know things better then me say that I am crazy and stop him from doing something stupid!!!!! But again it worked for me. The key thing is to treat it at the micro levels, almost like a frigging jewlery work or brain surgery.
      Jackson Black SL2HT, Jackson Trans Blue SL2H, Jackson Adrian Smith white with ebony board, ESP KH-2 Caution Hot, Gibson Les Paul Custom aged white, Fender American Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by Knockout View Post
        Clear example of post Fender Jackson.

I had thought about putting a needle in it but I'm not sure what exactly is causing it, so I'd hate to put a tiny hole in it if it's not going to do anything

It's been like this for months so I figure it can wait a few days while I try to get some info on it.

Comment

Yes, you can wick water thin CA glue in there to stop it from progressing.

But Knockout, this isn't a "post Fender" thing; even some of the old ones did this.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm just being a-hole
            My 97 Dinky had this
            Jackson Black SL2HT, Jackson Trans Blue SL2H, Jackson Adrian Smith white with ebony board, ESP KH-2 Caution Hot, Gibson Les Paul Custom aged white, Fender American Strat.

Comment

This does NOT only happen on necks with unfinished backs, and it grows over time, no matter how careful you are with the guitar.

WR1 and RR1:

Comment

Ouch.

Xoph, do you live somewhere humid?

Comment

same thing is happening with my kv2, definitely not a unfinished back issue. on a side not does the hot needle thing with superglue really work? cause ill try it if theres enough positive feedback.

Comment

Try other glue before you trying superglue. It worked for me but I can see the potential for an epic fail. Try the glue that can be easily removed from the finish, if you spill it, but strong enough to hold "traveling". Also with the niddle from ddown up on the very edge. Dont just stab it somewhere on top.

Comment

This is a typical case where water thin super glue is the shit.
                      I've done it numerous times to fix dings in clearcoats and in cases
                      just like this.
                      The trick is to find a spot to get the glue in and to allways have
                      superglue remover or acetone at hand.
                      Apply the superglue and push the damaged area hard a number of times to
                      help the glue seep in, it's very easy to see when your done because the milky
                      look goes away and it will look more or less as good as new.

Comment

This is a problem of too much material expanding and contracting. With the polyester, it becomes an entity of it's own. Contracting and expanding much like that of a hot air baloon. The polyester does not adhere all that well to some of the binding if not prepped properly or even degreased. I have seen a lot of it and have repaired some as well. It will be difficult to simply pop it like a blister as the polyester is quite rigid, but maybe you have tough blisters... I dunno. You can take a very small drill and pierce it at the edge, in the binding area and fill it with super thin CA or superglue like Sully mentioned. After you get the void filled, you will then want to take some thick super glue and fill the hold that you have drilled.

If you have a Woodcrafter near you, they will have all they glue syringes and all that fun stuff you will need to make it more presentable.
                        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Thanks for the info! I don't think this is something I feel comfortable doing myself. There's a place maybe an hour away that looks like a good place to take it. It's my first and currently only USA and I'd hate myself if I fucked it up!

Comment

Two questions: Isn't this something the warranty should cover?? and does it happen on the logo section only or can it happen anywhere around the headstock??

I'm looking closely at my trans KE2, and I don't know if it's the reflection of the logo through the clearcoat or if it's delamination.

Comment

Oh wow, I didnt realize it happenned on fully finished necks too, never saw that before. I had thought it was limited to the unfinished back ones.
                              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                              X