No announcement yet.

New Custom Shop Order - Help Me Decide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Custom Shop Order - Help Me Decide?

So I'm thinking of doing a new custom shop order. I'm totally struggling with deciding the body style, though. Otherwise, the specs for the guitar are pretty close to complete. With some minor tweaks here or there, they're pretty transferable to whichever body style I decide on.

All of this stems from my main dilemma, which is this: what I really want to do is order a roundhorn V. That's clearly not in the cards with Jackson, though. So, I'm left with deciding on alternatives. So here goes.

King V: This is as close as I'll get with Jackson on the V body style. I've owned some King Vs and Rhoads before. Y2KVs, too. Unfortunately, every time I get one, the coolness wears off and I ultimately find I just don't bond with them. So I later end up selling them. Much of this has to do with the compromises of buying a standard spec "off the shelf" guitar. For example: I've come to hate the thinner frets that come standard on KVs. A lot also has to do with just plain wanting to get one built to my custom specs. I've found through the years that this has a lot to do with how I bond with many guitars. (Not always, though.) And, finally, doing a KV feels like I'm "settling" for something I don't really want. i.e., It's not a roundhorn V.

Star: One of my first guitars back in the 80s was a Star-bodied Kramer (Voyager). I absolutely loved that guitar, except for the non-locking trem. Much nostalgia for this body style, though I haven't owned one since. I also remember not loving the poor upper fret access, though. That's not fatal, by any means, though. So doing this as a Star body might be pretty damn cool.

Soloist: My first custom Jackson was a Soloist. And I definitely would prefer to go with a neck-through this time. The more I think about the "compromises" of these alternative body styles, the more a Soloist appeals to me. i.e., It feels like I'm just tossing the compromise out the window altogether and getting back to my "roots", instead. And some of the specs for this guitar might look best on a Soloist. But I'm already heavily weighted with Strat/Dinky/Soloist body guitars, and feel it might be better to continue branching out into other styles again.

Charvel Dinky: The finish I'm thinking of would look best with a maple fretboard. And that's got me thinking Dinky with a matching strathead. ...But, again, I've got a lot of these.

Ugh. What do you guys think? Maybe your thoughts and reactions might help me decide. :think:

Get all 4!
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Are you prepared to share the specs Pat? Cos some stuff might well seem to work 'better' on one shape than another.
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Would you consider a Warrior? It is like a refined, neck-thru, pointer version of the Star. I miss mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
          Get all 4!
          I wish. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            So I'm thinking of doing a new custom shop order. I'm totally struggling with deciding the body style, though. Otherwise, the specs for the guitar are pretty close to complete. With some minor tweaks here or there, they're pretty transferable to whichever body style I decide on. All of this stems from my main dilemma, which is this: what I really want to do is order a roundhorn V. That's clearly not in the cards with Jackson, though. So, I'm left with deciding on alternatives. So here goes. King V: This is as close as I'll get with Jackson on the V body style. I've owned some King Vs and Rhoads before. Y2KVs, too. Unfortunately, every time I get one, the coolness wears off and I ultimately find I just don't bond with them. So I later end up selling them. Much of this has to do with the compromises of buying a standard spec "off the shelf" guitar. For example: I've come to hate the thinner frets that come standard on KVs. A lot also has to do with just plain wanting to get one built to my custom specs. I've found through the years that this has a lot to do with how I bond with many guitars. (Not always, though.) And, finally, doing a KV feels like I'm "settling" for something I don't really want. i.e., It's not a roundhorn V. Star: One of my first guitars back in the 80s was a Star-bodied Kramer (Voyager). I absolutely loved that guitar, except for the non-locking trem. Much nostalgia for this body style, though I haven't owned one since. I also remember not loving the poor upper fret access, though. That's not fatal, by any means, though. So doing this as a Star body might be pretty damn cool. Soloist: My first custom Jackson was a Soloist. And I definitely would prefer to go with a neck-through this time. The more I think about the "compromises" of these alternative body styles, the more a Soloist appeals to me. i.e., It feels like I'm just tossing the compromise out the window altogether and getting back to my "roots", instead. And some of the specs for this guitar might look best on a Soloist. But I'm already heavily weighted with Strat/Dinky/Soloist body guitars, and feel it might be better to continue branching out into other styles again. Charvel Dinky: The finish I'm thinking of would look best with a maple fretboard. And that's got me thinking Dinky with a matching strathead. ...But, again, I've got a lot of these. Ugh. What do you guys think? Maybe your thoughts and reactions might help me decide. :think:
            Go with a neck thru Star, I just did.
            Last edited by vector; 03-03-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              Are you prepared to share the specs Pat? Cos some stuff might well seem to work 'better' on one shape than another.
              Hard to describe, as I'll change up the specs depending on the body. Think solid color, though. Sparkle-metalflake variety. That's a lock, no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                Would you consider a Warrior?
                Nope. Only one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                  Go with a neck thru Star, I just did.
                  Very possible. Although, if I did a maple 'board on mine, then more likely to do it as a bolt-on Charvie with a matching pointy headstock.

BTW, your mock-up looks pretty cool!

Comment

see if they can do the star body with a slightly bigger cutaway, or do the scalloped heal like the 90's soloists? its a custom shop

Comment

Go with a Star. Or see if they'll do a roundhorn Rhoads!
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                        Hard to describe, as I'll change up the specs depending on the body. Think solid color, though. Sparkle-metalflake variety. That's a lock, no matter what.
                        I'd say go for a Soloist with a maple board. The KV is too far from what you really want, the star upper fret access will never be awesome unless they make it so modified that it looks freakish and as you said, you already have a bunch of bolt-ons.
                        Popular is not the same as good
                        Rare is not the same as valuable
                        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It's obviously that you're GASing heavily for a custom shop, 'cause you're not sure of the body shape yet. That's ok, it happens to everybody As someone said, go for all four. But joking aside, since none of the options are what you REALLY want, if I were you I'd forget about ordering a custom shop and keep my eyes open for a roundhorn when it comes up for sale somewhere. I know it could take quite some time, but hey, so would waiting for a CS order
                          Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

Order a neck thru "box" shape with no finish. Receive the order and send it to Mike Learn to complete the roundhorn.

I feel for you - Super ridiculous policy that no other guitar manufacturer adheres to. A lot of revenue lost to this policy. Sounds like no matter what you do you are settling and paying for something you don't really want.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                              Order a neck thru "box" shape with no finish.
                              Is this possible, or are you joking around?
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X