Newb greetings, w/ a PC-1 pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCM78 View Post
    I put a Suhr Aldrich in mine. There are three issues I identified that made the Super 3 not work for me in this particular guitar.
    1. It's very lower mid heavy with a rolled off high end. My PC-1 has a lowewr mid emphasis when played acoustically so the Super 3 is dark compared to my other guitars.
    2. The bridge pickup is 2 mm further away from the bridge then any of my Hamer Shredders, making it lose some of the sparkle on the top end.
    3. The sustainer system puts a load on the pickup causing it to lose some output.

The Aldrich is a little hotter then the Super 3 and is balanced across Bass. mid, and treble. For me it improved the guitars tone.

The Super 3 ended up in my '87 Hamer Chappy. That guitar is bright, and the bridge pickup is close to the bridge making the Super 3 a good fit..

did you have any issues changing out the pup in the PC1?

the reason being, there's been talk about the circuitry being designed to work best with the Super 3 and other talk about trying other pups and always going back to the Super 3. having swapped the Super 3 for the Alrich, did you encounter anything along those lines? or was the Aldrich exactly what you expected to hear once you got it plugged in?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by adampone View Post
      did you have any issues changing out the pup in the PC1?

the reason being, there's been talk about the circuitry being designed to work best with the Super 3 and other talk about trying other pups and always going back to the Super 3. having swapped the Super 3 for the Alrich, did you encounter anything along those lines? or was the Aldrich exactly what you expected to hear once you got it plugged in?

thanks!
      Actually installing the pickup was easy. The difference in sound was what I expected. The Aldrich is hot enough to work with the sustainer system. It added some needed high end to this guitar.

I should point out that the super 3 would have worked fine if this was my only guitar. It's easy enough to dial in the amp to work with it. The problem I had was the difference in tone this guitar had compared to my other guitars. That was the main reason for the swap. I use my Wolfgang and my Hamer USA Diablo to dial in my rig. The objective was to get the PC1 close to those guitars.

I had the exact opposite issue with my '87 Hamer USA Chaparral. It was too bright. I put the super 3 in that guitar and killed two birds with one stone...
      ---RCM78
      >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Comment

Working...
      X