Newb greetings, w/ a PC-1 pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb greetings, w/ a PC-1 pickup question

Hi guys, new guy here. I'm typically a Hamer USA player, but I bought a PC-1 earlier this year. I'm really enjoying it, its the nicest shredder I've ever owned (out of 6-7 Hamers, 3 Ibanez, 3 Kramers, & a few oddball Dean/Washburn/etc's). Here's a few pics from my last gig;

Question; I'm on the fence about the bridge pup. I've grown fond of the EMG's in my Hamer shredder, any passive pup recommendations? I don't want to stick EMG's in the PC-1 (it already needs 2 batteries for the sustainer). I'm playing the Jackson in a Rush tribute & in a hard rawk cover band. My rig is kinda ghetto compared to my guitars, but it actually sounds good (it replaced an Axe-FX, see last pic).

Thanx!!

PS - the Hamer Duotone in the middle is the best playing and sounding guitar I've ever owned, perfect for jazz/classic rawk/funk/acoustic gigs.
    Last edited by Brooks; 12-12-2011, 07:05 AM.
    Generic Hustle on Abstract Logix

Horns Up fo' DED MULLET!!

Assuming you still have the stock Super 3, what is it you don't like about the current tone that you think an EMG style tone would help with? Which EMG also, as the 81 is different than the 85.

The Super 3 is mid heavy, and the usual EMG tone is scoped, so I'm "guessing" with limited knowledge a Custom 5? (I know Duncans better than DiMarzio's).

Comment

i put a PAF Pro in one of my PC-1s and really liked it. my other has an SD JB and i really like it. i had an EMG 85 and SA in one of them at one point and thought they were too soul-sucking for the guitar.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Awesome!

Welcome aboard. The PC-1 is an awesome guitar for sure. I have one in Solar (in classifieds) but I WILL have another one someday! They are truly something special.

Chris

Comment

Welcome
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

At first I saw my name and thought I started this thread, then saw the pic and thats not me. Funny. Welcome...And RacerX joined what seemed like just yesterday, same month and year as me.....
            Brooks
            www.BrooksGuitarUniverse.com

Comment

Well, I was with the previous board, which got changed over to this one in Nov '02
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

thanx guys. my PC-1's current tone is not bad, but kinda splatty in the midrange (if that makes sense). i know EMG's aren't that popular, but i like them in floyded guitars. they vastly improved my hamer shredder; it's a more defined upper mid growl 80's tone, almost like a cocked wha, a good example is the tone from stryper's "soldiers under command" (cheesy tune & tone, but actually works great in a band mix). i had a JB in my hamer shredder before (& JB's in several other hamers) but wasn't a fan.

FWIW, my shredders are for "reliving my youth" (80's metal playing around the house to amuse myself, and my local rawk gigs); i use my hamer duotone for classic rawk/jazz/funk/fusion tones and any recording i do (it has a rio bbq & a duncan phatcat, and sounds warm & amazing).

so you guys like the custom 5 and the paf pro, anyone else using something different in their PC-1's? let me know what you like about them compared to the stock dimarzio. thanx!!

Comment

You may find this crazy but one of my PC1's has a Jackson J90C humbucker. Kinda dark with the mids cut and plenty high output as well. Something like 16ohms IIRC.

I love those USA J90C humbuckers with the adjustable polepieces. Any time a cheapish one is on ebay I grab it!

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the Duncan JB. I've not done it, but one of the possible pups I've been considering for my PC-1 is a Duncan Full Shred.

When I got my PC-1 last summer, swapping pups was high on my list. #1. there was a lot of talk about how the circuitry in the sustainer affects tone and you might not get the sound you expect from a trusted pup model, and #2. the more time I spent with the PC-1 was more time to see that the stock pups did more that what I thought at first glance.

from my experience with EMGs and with my PC-1, I'd encourage sticking with passive pups for it. the PC-1 has some nice woods and EMGs seem to make most guitars sound like they have EMGs more than they allow the nautral tones of the woods to come through.... at least, that's my opinion.

Comment

from my experience with EMGs and with my PC-1, I'd encourage sticking with passive pups for it.
                      indeed, that was not my intention;

Originally posted by Brooks View Post
                      I don't want to stick EMG's in the PC-1 (it already needs 2 batteries for the sustainer)...
                      ps- hey vklobucar, i grew up in richardson!
                      Last edited by Brooks; 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

anyone else try some different pups in their PC1??? looking for some other suggestions.

Comment

I tried some of the same pups as some of the other peeps had, also tried a Screamin Demon as well but went back to the Super3.
                          You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

I put a Suhr Aldrich in mine. There are three issues I identified that made the Super 3 not work for me in this particular guitar.
                            1. It's very lower mid heavy with a rolled off high end. My PC-1 has a lowewr mid emphasis when played acoustically so the Super 3 is dark compared to my other guitars.
                            2. The bridge pickup is 2 mm further away from the bridge then any of my Hamer Shredders, making it lose some of the sparkle on the top end.
                            3. The sustainer system puts a load on the pickup causing it to lose some output.

The Aldrich is a little hotter then the Super 3 and is balanced across Bass. mid, and treble. For me it improved the guitars tone.

The Super 3 ended up in my '87 Hamer Chappy. That guitar is bright, and the bridge pickup is close to the bridge making the Super 3 a good fit..
                            ---RCM78
                            >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Comment

Mckinney is the happening place to be in Texas!!!!!!!

Hell no!

Comment

Working...
                              X