Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't they make non-recessed anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like angled necks but I don't like non-recessed Floyds--too bulky.
    2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
    Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

I got hooked on the non-recessed trems a few years ago, and now can't be happy playing anything other than the San Dimas' and early Ontarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        I got hooked on the non-recessed trems a few years ago, and now can't be happy playing anything other than the San Dimas' and early Ontarios.
        snob.

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Animus View Post
          I like angled necks but I don't like non-recessed Floyds--too bulky.
          do bridges put on weight as trem posts are raised?
          Hail yesterday

Comment

you can't get the blues rock chatter from a non recessed trem so they stopped making them.

Comment

LOL lathing a recess is easier than making a tilt-neck neck pocket?

I used to swear by recessed trems. I liked how clean my old single HB looked and how close to the body the strings were. Maybe the straight neck angle figured into it too. Felt so simple and right.

Now I have a non-recessed FR and it does indeed appear much bulkier, but I don't mind. The strings are also way off the top of the guitar. The geometry is so much like a Les Paul...which I dislike. But I love this guitar. I can't stop playing it. But I have no problem switching to the recessed FR Jackson. Both are cool.

Comment

I'm not sure lathing is the proper term. I do think the difficulty in manufacture was regarding neck through guitars, since as you mentioned, a neck pocket would be simple and no more involved.

I'm no luthier, but I'd imagine that in order to make the neck angle on a neck through, it would require a taller neck plank, thus being more expensive.
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                  I'm not sure lathing is the proper term. I do think the difficulty in manufacture was regarding neck through guitars, since as you mentioned, a neck pocket would be simple and no more involved.

I'm no luthier, but I'd imagine that in order to make the neck angle on a neck through, it would require a taller neck plank, thus being more expensive.

You're right, I should have said "routing". Neck throughs or set necks never even crossed my mind because I detest them so much. Bolt on is the only thing that exists in my world.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                    You're right, I should have said "routing". Neck throughs or set necks never even crossed my mind because I detest them so much. Bolt on is the only thing that exists in my world.
                    I wish I could say the same. I don't mind Dinkys one bit, but the heel on my bolt on Rhoads and King V is absolutely atrocious. I've even considered modifying them to allow better access and comfort.

In terms of tone, my RR3 does have a little bit more bite than my RR5FR, all things equal except for neck construction and pickups. The RR5FR has the famously bright JB whereas my RR3 has an Invader, so I doubt the pickups are to blame, especially since the phenomenon is present when using the neck pickups, both being Jazzes.
                    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      do bridges put on weight as trem posts are raised?

No, but more metal is pushed up from the body of the guitar.
                      2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                      Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

I have an RR with non-recessed and an RR with recessed. I much prefer the non-recessed.

Interestingly my soloist has the neck angled back but a Kahler instead of a Floyd, that is the most comfortable and easiest to play of all of them. So my next search will be for an RR with an angled neck and a kahler.

Comment

Although I enjoy both, I'd have to say I prefer recessed floyds. It's a little added headache but the feel is nicer in my opinion and I'm sure it's cheaper to produce. That being said I hate floyds all together so I won't be voting with my wallet on any sort of tremolo ever again.
                          "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

So for you guys that have ordered custom Jackson's in the past, how much would it cost (ballpark-guess) to order a Solist (SL1 or SL2) with a non recessed Floyd & tilt back neck? So lets say a new off-the-shelf SL1 is around $2k. So the same SL1 ordered with a non-recessed trem: are we talking 2500, 3000, whatever? BTW, I know of the Shannon's Soloists that came out a few years ago. They're hard to find and probably bring top dollar if you could find one.

Comment

Working...
                            X