Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't they make non-recessed anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't they make non-recessed anymore?

They are so much more comfortable. :think:

Is it because you can't pull up on them as much as recessed and everyone wants to copy the JEM?

I think the actual production is easier since you do not have to angle the neck 13 degrees or whatever it is on a non-recessed.
    1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
    2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
    2008 Satin Black SL3
    2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
    2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Demand - look at the other brands that use Floyds and they're pretty much all recessed (Ibanez, ESP, BC Rich, Suhr etc etc).
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I would think both answerws are correct. I think its demand, plus its got to be easier to build than the 13 deg tilt. I know lots of people like the non recessed, but I find recessed trems SO much easier and more comfortable to play. the non recessed just seem so cumbersome. but thats just personal opinion.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by 197666 View Post
          They are so much more comfortable. :think:

Is it because you can't pull up on them as much as recessed and everyone wants to copy the JEM?
          Because guitarist said they liked recessed better and voted with their wallets

I can go either way. My Model 6 is nice with the non-recessed, but so is the SL2H with the recess.

Comment

Because it's not 1986 anymore.
            It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

You can still order a custom with non-recessed.

I do prefer non-recessed.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I prefer non recessed because they have higher strings on the bridge which makes picking much more comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                  Because it's not 1986 anymore.
                  That ain't true man, DON'T say that shit.

Comment

I prefer non-recessed, but recessed is okay.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm a young buck, and I started playing in '97. First guitar was a Strat, and then a few Ibanez RGs, ESPs, and finally found my Jacksons about 5 years ago. I've never had a non-recessed, nor have I ever played one. I do know however, that I prefer the straight neck angle over Les Pauls and the like.
                      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                        I would think both answerws are correct. I think its demand, plus its got to be easier to build than the 13 deg tilt. I know lots of people like the non recessed, but I find recessed trems SO much easier and more comfortable to play. the non recessed just seem so cumbersome. but thats just personal opinion.
                        Wow, I agree 100%
                        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

It's weird how I thought I was all about the recessed until I realized how much cleaner I can pick on a TOM style bridge. I'm guessing due to the extra space, i can really dig my palm into the sweet spot right before the bridge, cleanly palm muting on the high e and b strings. Now my search for a non-recessed begins as soon as I buy a kv2. go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by 197666 View Post
                            It's weird how I thought I was all about the recessed until I realized how much cleaner I can pick on a TOM style bridge. I'm guessing due to the extra space, i can really dig my palm into the sweet spot right before the bridge, cleanly palm muting on the high e and b strings. Now my search for a non-recessed begins as soon as I buy a kv2. go figure.
                            Totally agree. What I can't deny is that a tilted neck is way more comfortable. I should think most Les Paul born and raised would prefer a non recessed, but its just a theory. I tryed Strats but they are uncomfortable. Surface mounts and Toms are just comfortable to me. Admittedly it is an ingrained kind of comfort though as the first guitar I ever picked up was a strat and I had to force myself to change technique in order to play a Les Paul, but its like smoking, and I guess now that I smoke its hard to quit...I guess for some it will be the opposite. But recessed's are undoubtedly easier to make and offer more versitility I guess, probably are more comfortably if you've never played a guitar before and regardless have become a staple trade mark of the Jackson brand that was cemented back in the Ibanez/Jackson competition days.

Um...Also non recessed floyd guitars get less pick stratches if they bother you.

1986 might well have lived and gone, but now its 1987 you kind of think there would be an equal spattering of offerings at least. There is Charvel I guess. Secretly I think Fender is trying to make format addicts out of new guitar players with their Jackson crack, knowing that once hooked, the chances of them ever playing a Gibson format will be minimal, meanwhile their Charvel angle takes care of the of the non believers and they hope that when their little cokettes all get into their forties they will all be reaching for Fender USA Standards.
                            Last edited by ginsambo; 12-02-2011, 02:25 AM.
                            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

The Ibanez RG and JEM models basically started the trend of recessed Floyds in the late '80s, and Jackson followed the trend. Non-recessed Floyds became seen as "old-fashioned" by the early '90s I prefer non-recessed trems and angled necks, myself. BTW, the new Scott Ian signature model Soloist has a non-recessed trem.

Comment

Working...
                              X