No announcement yet.

Confused about my KV2 stock pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had EMG's fitted in my trans black WR1. My tech just filed the corners on the inside to make them fit. The problem was getting 2 batteries to fit in the cavity. It was such a squeeze, the plate buldged and it wasn't getting the plate off again.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

OK, thanks again for the advice everyone!

wilkinsi,
      scroll down a bit... I fit 3 9v batteries in my KV2! Just for fun though, LOL, I didn't hook them up. There's a ton of space in there with the EMG mini style pots. I tried the 18V but I stuck with 9V.

fordsho90,
      I needed the little boost of confidence/kick in the pants. I put the dremel to the KV2 last night. NO prob. Thank's for the pics, it really did help me out.

I guess it's only fair for me to do the same, this is turning into an pretty involved thread so I'll post some pics I took last night.

Here's with the stock pickups and hardware removed:

A look into the cavities (and they've already seen some rough Dremel action!):

Material removed with Dremel (or should I say Master Craft rotary tool! ):

Slick, pickups drop right in now:

Time to wire it up, here's the easy way:

Don't forget to test that the pickups and controls work! (don't string it up, just use a tuning fork to get the PU's singing):

Nice and clean, the controls should drop right in:

..and they do!:

Lots of room for batteries (I stick them in baggies to keep them from shorting against anything):

Make a jumper and go with 18V, don't do anything permanent:

String it up, and light it up!:

BTW, it's not totally setup yet. I got tired last night. Still need to set the intonation, but it really does sound sick. I'm no stranger to EMG's, so I'm not blown away but I'm very pleased at how it responds to my playing now.

Last edited by Luafcm; 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

SWEET!!!! Looking good Luafcm and good job!! No problem on the photos and the encouragment; glad they helped. Dig the step by step photos too it may help the next person who wants to attempted this little project to see that it really isnt that difficult and that yes you can do it yourself and save yourself some money!! Glad it all work out for you brother. BTW Nice guitar I like the Pile o' skulls on the KV-2.

Comment

Yah, the step by step pics are great!

Now ya gotta get those pups & rings painted to match the graphic...now that would kill!
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

ok ii'm gonna have to check mine again next time I change the strings. maybe mine does have a JB

Comment

Looks great dude!

By the way, for those who might be in the know... does the same "Dremelling" apply when installing Duncan Mustaine Live Wires or Blackouts? Just curious. I've been considering dumping a set into either my KV Pro or Y2KV.
              - Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adoxtater View Post
                Looks great dude!

By the way, for those who might be in the know... does the same "Dremelling" apply when installing Duncan Mustaine Live Wires or Blackouts? Just curious. I've been considering dumping a set into either my KV Pro or Y2KV.
                Yes. I was gonna put blackouts in my WR1 at one point, and they're the same size as EMG's.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                X