Confused about my KV2 stock pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luafcm View Post
    Shit, I'd like to know if it was a cloudy day when my guitar was built.

Nope! It was sunny that day, dude!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm using a 6505+ and my picking hand, not Dave's.

I'm not a huge Megadeth fan, but I don't recall them ever really being praised for having exceptional tone. Dave's technique is where it's at, but I don't think I want to sound like Megadeth as far as tone.

What amps do they use, and can you suggest me a song to get a good idea of how good these JB's can sound? Why did Dave switch to Livewires? Was he not happy with his tone?

The JB's do sound good, for sure. But I want better. I want to retain the clarity, but the voicing and output I think I'd like to tweak. The other pickups I currently own are:
      Distortion Neck, Invader Bridge, 81/85, and I've had alot of experience with L-500/XL-500 and Dimebuckers, Gibson 500T (the best one I've heard), Schaller Hotstuff, Blaze Bridge

The JB is ok. I think I like it better then the EMG-81, but that 81 is in a JS30KV. Not really comparable.

Any other KV2 owners swap out their pickups? If so, why?
      So you like the 500T? I have one and like it too. Very high mids.

How about a Duncan Distortion? Been itching to try one out myself. The screamin Demon sucks, I think. Alnico is definantly better in the higher range so if you play a lot of lead I'd stick with Alnico.
      Jackson USA guitars
      BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
      Diezel VH4
      Framus Cobra
      VHT UL
      Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
      Mesa MK3
      Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
        The alnico magnets should NOT sound like ice pick. I would expect that more from a ceramic pickup, like the DD. Anyway, I would try a Duncan Custom TB-5 in the bridge, you will probably find the guitar more to what you're after. I'm pretty sure the Duncan Livewire was an active version of the Distortion.
        It's a dull ice pick
        Maybe that isn't the best way to describe it, it's very bright with a real midrage bite, but without the mid range ommph. It's a very focused sound, that's what I like about them, but they lack ...oh, sizzle?

From what toejam is describing of the Livewires, maybe that's something I should try! I'd take a slightly hotter and quieter JB, sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

Nope! It was sunny that day, dude!
          NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fordsho90 View Post
            I have a KV-2 and mine came with a TB-4 and an SH-4 in it. I didnt care much for the sound of them so I swapped mine out w/the EMG'S, an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. It is my first active pup guitar and it was a vast improvment over what was in it. Its was a pretty straightfoward swap other them some very minor trimming w/a Dremmel to make them fit. I was always a passive pup guy but I gave them a shot and the guitar screams now compared to what it was before. BTW I am not sure what year my KV-2 is, I bought it new but it had been around for a bit so not so sure on year.
            I think there may be something wrong with my EMG's. I'm really compulsive when it comes to the battery, I always think that maybe they are starting to sound weak and maybe the battery is going. I'm pretty sure it's all in my head, but it drives me nuts! Since I have them kicking around I'll start with the 81/85 combo in the KV2. From there (unless I can demo some Live Wire's) I think I'll pretty much have to try an X2N because I've never tried one. It's probably the one for me, I've just been stubborn.

I'm glad to hear you're digging the EMG/KV2 combo even as an admitted passive fan. I got an eye opener when I compared the Gibson 500T to an EMG-81 through my 6505+. It seems to really dig the 500T, lots of lively artifacts, it was spitting fire! The EMG-81 was all business and did what it did as well as you expect it to. I guess that's what makes them a go-to metal pickup. Both tones are very useful.

Originally posted by RJF View Post
            So you like the 500T? I have one and like it too. Very high mids.

How about a Duncan Distortion? Been itching to try one out myself. The screamin Demon sucks, I think. Alnico is definantly better in the higher range so if you play a lot of lead I'd stick with Alnico.
            Love the 500T. I don't know why I just don't run out and get one actually. I sold a Gibson Explorer Pro to buy my KV2. I pulled an EMG set from the Explorer and returned the stock 500T that was being used in a DK2. The DK2 is pissed now.

I'm a rhythm player, my leads are slow/melodic and my rhythms fast/annoying.

I've tried a distortion bridge and neck p/u in my seven string and LOVE THEM! The dist neck stayed, the bridge got swapped to an invader.

I think I agree with what you say about the alnico, and for that reason I'll sway towards ceramic. I'm not smooth enough of a player to get the alnico's to sing like they are meant to. I'm going for growl and oomph.

Thanks for the replys guys! Loving the feedback...
            Last edited by Luafcm; 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

AAaaaaaaaaaaaand they don't fit. Crap.

I got the things totally stripped down and the EMG's dont fit. There is no way I'm carving up any of Dan Lawrence's work on this 2005 KV2. I can't carve into that paint job and be able to live with myself if the EMG's aren't perfect.

Ok, so... X2N bridge? Damn... I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

UH, wut pickups do I like?
              Last edited by Luafcm; 01-23-2010, 10:38 PM. Reason: ripped

Comment

I have a KV-2 and mine came with a TB-4 and an SH-4 in it. I didnt care much for the sound of them so I swapped mine out w/the EMG'S, an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. It is my first active pup guitar and it was a vast improvment over what was in it. Its was a pretty straightfoward swap other them some very minor trimming w/a Dremmel to make them fit. I was always a passive pup guy but I gave them a shot and the guitar screams now compared to what it was before. BTW I am not sure what year my KV-2 is, I bought it new but it had been around for a bit so not so sure on year.

Please reread part about having to use a DREMMEL for some MINOR trimming No chainsaw or a hammer and screwdriver needed :ROTF:
                I am just messing with ya; kinda

Comment

BTW I am not sure what year my KV-2 is, I bought it new but it had been around for a bit so not so sure on year.
                  Well, what is the serial # ?
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Please reread part about having to use a DREMMEL for some MINOR trimming No chainsaw or a hammer and screwdriver needed :ROTF:
                    I am just messing with ya; kinda
                    I was thinking more along the lines of taking the dremmel to the EMG's, not the other way around! F the EMG's! LOL!

I wonder how much pastic housing and potting material can be carved off an EMG before it starts going squirrley. I don't mind dremmeling up a couple of EMG's if it won't hurt them, but there is no way in hell I'd cut into an airbursh job.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Well, what is the serial # ?

u18218

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of taking the dremmel to the EMG's, not the other way around! F the EMG's! LOL!

I wonder how much pastic housing and potting material can be carved off an EMG before it starts going squirrley. I don't mind dremmeling up a couple of EMG's if it won't hurt them, but there is no way in hell I'd cut into an airbursh job.
                        :ROTF: NICE!!.....Let me know how that works out for the next time I may want try to jam EMG'S into a KV-2

Comment

Are we anal retentive?
                          Alnico = smooth and warm,ceramic = hot and bright.
                          Most likely the KV2 is poplar or alder I would go X2N if you want lots of drive.
                          DM livewires are nice pretty and smooth sounding for actives much better that EMG 81-85
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm bidding on an X2N now, I'll grab one up regardless and put it in either the KV2 or DK2.

I'm being advised not to dremel up the emg's. I don't know what to do. I think I'd like the EMG's in there. Do I take a dremel mini-sanding drum to the corners of the pickup cavity or take the EMG's to the belt sander... damn tough call.

This sounds stupid, but the guitar looks like it wants EMG's in it. KV2 Pile O' Skulls with anything but EMG81/85? I mean, c'mon!

Edit:
                            Here's the insides of an 81...
                            Last edited by Luafcm; 01-24-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

As you can see how the corners have been cleaned out I used a sanding wheel since as you personally can see that it is a small amount to clean out to make them fit.

And here is the other side of it. Take your time and do small and equal amounts on each corner; well as best as you can As you can see from the picts. the final outcome isnt a hack job and nor did I jack up my finish. Now all that being said, if you arent that great w/power tools or dont feel comfortable doing it then dont do it at all. Hope this helps you a bit now since I got the damn thing apart I think I will throw the 60 in the bridge and see how that sound

Comment

Ya bro, I think 'm going to go for it tonight. Bust out the dremel and go to work on it. It seems that I need to remove a bit more material then yours is showing, but that may have a little to do with the small stock pickups and the ability to have a small variation in pickup retainer ring placement. The EMG's fill out the retainer rings and really locate them precisely, where the JB's can kinda slop side to side and still fit in the cavity. Not sure if that's making sense....

...basically I could remove less body material if I relocate my pickup ring holes. Ya, that makes sense now.

I'm pretty good with a dremel, I'm just really shitty with an airbrush! Know what I mean?

Comment

Working...
                                X