• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: other basses?

[ QUOTE ]

You've got to play one of Keith's. ;^)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God, the last thing I need is another 1700.00 + guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

For the forseeable future, anything as experimental as a fretless bass will have to be in the "sub-$1,000" category; preferrably 500.00 or so.

The only question is... lined or unlined? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I love Jackson Guitars but NOT their basses...none of them!

I'm with Boxcar...I love Ken Smith , G & L , Pedulla , Music Man , Warwick ...those are REAL basses..

I think Jackson did basses as a friggin' after thought....just like this bass thread... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW ROCKPRO....I read your post like 20 times now...and I have no clue what the HELL your talking about [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]..the one where you quote me...I'd take it your wife's "birthday" is on the 24th...right [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

at first, i never really though of jackson or charvel basses.. i knew that some people played them, and that they were pretty solid.. i had just preferred Fender PBasses over everything else.. i recently bought a 87 Model 3B for 149.99 at a local shop, and it has the JE-2000 active setup in it.. i put a set of Blue Steels on it.. and added another 9V to up it to 18V..

i have to say, that the neck is pretty wide and flat.. something that i've had to get used to.. i'm still getting used to it.. and the overall weight.. cripes this bass is heavy..

but, the tone is amazing.. i've been using it for the last couple of months.. i've returned back to bass from guitar, and the 3B has been alot of fun.. it's pretty focused in it's tone.. thick, concussive.. it's no joke.. it is in no way thin on tone..

this is a serious bass.. without doubt.. i've played Alembic, Fender, Tobias (pre-gibby), Robin, Steinberger, Smith, Conklin etc..

the 3B is every bit as good as current USA Fenders, and alot of other makes too for many, many times the price..

so, if you don't like the Charvels, or the Jacksons.. fine..

Comment

I think the 3b is a neat bass, and I really want to own one; or the Jackson equivalent from the 80s. I just don't think their current offerings for today's bass market are as distinctive as their current offerings for the guitar market. In other words, their guitars are very unique and distinctive; their basses are very "me too".

I don't mean any disrespect to Jackson by that; I think it would be great if they had a strong hold on the bass market.

But, keep in mind that many of the serious players in the bass market (Roscoe, Nordstrand, Fodera, etc.) do not make guitars. They do one thing, and they do it well; they make basses.

And Jackson makes the best guitars in the world. And that's nothing to be ashamed of. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I think a little dissing is appropriate at times...take it as constructive criticism..

maybe then they'll get off their asses and design a "great" bass for a change...that would meet "my" standards of the word "great"..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I agree that Jackson has really not lived up to its part by creating a great or even a good bass in the recent years but the basses form Charvel/Jackson from the 80s are probably one of the best buys in todays current marketplace. They are always easy to find and they sell for a reasonable price. You can customize them however you want and you can play them till you drop because they just wont break. I wouldn't trade any of mine for any thing else.I am not naming names but if you don't like the J/C Bass post DON'T read them! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd agree that Jackson current bass offerings are pretty lacking. Most are import, new USA ones are pretty rare.

My 1988 Concert Bass, though...is basically a huge Soloist. It's really nice and to say Jackson didn't make good basses ever is ridiculous. Granted its a custom shop product, but it proves if you can make a good guitar, you can make a bigger one and make it a bass.

Comment

i think that Charvel should reissue the Model series.. with a more modern profile on the neck.. instead of the flat/wide necks from the late 80's.. more of a C-shape, fender-ish feel, without being a direct profile rip off of Fender..

i don't think that J/C will actually get into the mid and high end bass market.. but, using exotic woods, and really paying attention to tone would be great..

Jackson/Charvels are rock basses.. and have a particular tone to them, a Fender-type tone..

it would be nice if the bass offerings were expanded..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Schecter Stiletto Elite four-stringers are nice. I owned on eof them for a while before switching to five-strings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto...I had one too. I have a Schecter Stiletto Elite 5 string "Grey Mist" on order with Vwall. Cant wait to get it. The quality is great for the money. I have a 3b. Got invited to play bass in a church band, and need a 5 string.
                    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Working...
                    X