other basses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: other basses?

Scott Lee, name rings a bell. Does he teach a class at CPCC? I've probably helped him with something before.

Oh yeah, if you do come in, just ask for ETHAN!

Comment

I play Roscoes at the moment. I played a wonderful Pulcinella the other day, though, and were the price more fair (it was used at GC, and way overpriced), I would consider grabbing it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Warwicks are nice, but tone-wise are kind of a one-trick pony. You can really nail that clanky Korn tone with them, but that's about it. Not that that's a bad thing. They also have the thickest necks I've ever played on any guitar or bass. Serious Louisville territory. I do plan on buying one of these someday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you A/B'ed their newer basses with older ones? I've found their recent work (past few years) to be subpar, in stark contrast to most of the older pieces I've played, and I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Never owned a Ric 4001 but played something similar once that had what felt like a 1" nut width and guitar-like action [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
          It was only $250 at the time - I shoulda bought it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, NewC m'man, but you should be shot for passing that up. I'd do some pretty messed-up stuff to score the money if I could get a 4001 in good shape for under $500. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The first bass I ever owned was a Korean P-bass copy that I got for $60 with a practice amp and a tuner. Thing was salmon pink! It also had the biggest body and neck I've ever laid hands on, but it played great for what it was. Sounds great de-tuned, too.
          After that, I got a passive Ibanez Soundgear, best bass for the price I've seen. Got beat to hell, and then stolen by my (corrupt ex-cop coke-dealing) landlord. (I'm not even going to bring up the student model stand-up that he got...)
          My current axe is a Dean Hollywood Z with active EMGs. Pretty damn fine action, good tone. Scored it for 60, bent like a bow, and missing a nut, with dead pickups. Rehabbed it, and now it's my main weapon of destruction.

Comment

Well, I don't have a Charvel bass but I think the new SD bass looks great. My main bass is a Fender Am Dlx Jazz Bass, I also own a Hamer Chaparral Max Bass that is great. When I am practicing at home I use a Gibson Q-80 Bass which looks rather Jackson-ish.

Comment

Bill Z Bub + a G & L 2000 = total bass awesomeness!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Why even ask? Is this not the Jackson/Charvel forum? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] As for me I only play Charvel and Jackson basses!

Comment

Just G $ L basses for me...they are the BEST !!!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i play an ESP made Kramer american. i really like it and it was cheap. but i have my eye on a brian moore bass right now.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I don't really like Jackson/Charvel basses that much. I like Music Man and G&L.

Comment

Boxcar Willie 84! Holy S--t! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

"The beast in man should be exercised NOT excorcised"
                          Roger that!

I hate the Happy Birthday Song... My son 17. My wife on the 24th..

Comment

I started playing bass before six strings.

The brands never mattered to me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Have you A/B'ed their newer basses with older ones? I've found their recent work (past few years) to be subpar, in stark contrast to most of the older pieces I've played, and I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure how old the specimens I've played were. My buddy has a Warwick (Corvette, I believe) he bought off of ebay. I really enjoy playing that. Aside from the comical phallic look to it, it really is a nice piece of work. I could never just own that one bass though; not very diverse tone-wise, and the neck was so thick I don't think I could play it all the time.

I played a lower end Warwick Fretless at a local store that I kind of liked; I never plugged it in, and it had flatwounds, so I couldn't really hear it! It had a nice, very different feel to it. I would like to get a fretless someday. Maybe if that one doesn't sell they'll cut me a deal on it.

- E.
                              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to get a fretless someday. Maybe if that one doesn't sell they'll cut me a deal on it.

- E.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to play one of Keith's. ;^)

Comment

Working...
                                X