No announcement yet.

Cool bass lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Stomp" ..The Brothers Johnson. Like Endrik said the classic Motown stuff really brought bass to the front. No matter what genre bass players should give props to plays like Louis Johnson and James Jamerson.

So many great songs..I discover new stuff in classic stuff all the time. Some good ones already mentioned.

I was listening to Van Halen..and always liked "In a Simple Ryhme"..it fits the music nicely.

Tony Levin really kicked my ass with King Crimson during "Dicipline" in '81. Then I obsessed over him.

To be honest, I appreciate players from the 60s and 70s than I do with modern players. No matter how busy the basslines were it was about the groove and the song..not pretentious like alot of players that noodle around to show off..

Anywhoo Geezer Butler was my first influence..I took a bit from Steve Harris too when he came out. Then I discovered old funk and that opened up alot of doors.

Stu Hamm is great..that's pretty much my approach and style. He's really good but it always sound very tight and musical...he does indulge but he's very gifted.

You'll prolly flame me..but Geddy is a VERY good player..but always thought he was a bit overrated. My friend was in a Rush tribute band called Vital Signs..and we both discovered that some of Michael Anthony's parts were actually harder to play than some of the more challenging Rush songs. Rush invented Prog Metal..so they get major props for that. There wouldn't be bands like Dream Theater without Rush. I think Geddy stood out because he was the frontman and they had alot of crazy time sigs..which makes him really noticable. He actually got better with age..I heard some newer material and some of that stuff did impress me.

Victor Wooten and Doug Wimbish are incredible players, but love Flea and Doug Pinnick just as much.

I like alot of players..that list is so vast.

Musically I'm much more open with bass than I am when playing guitar. I'm a "metal" guitar player basically. I'm more of funk, jazz-fusion bass player..that's where my heart is I guess.

I heard Boston "Don't look back" recently and forgot how good that dude was.

Very good mentions so far..the ones that I actually know.
    Last edited by horns666; 09-28-2007, 11:20 AM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the master!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Any Motley Crue song. Nikki Sixx is a very tasty player.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Body Electric - Rush
          Chemistry - Rush
          Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder
          Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
          In the Name of God - Dream Theater

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

"Booty Time" - Humpadelic

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Living Colour - Leave It Alone

Wimbish, man. That is all
              Hail yesterday

Comment

there's so many great ones... mainly from funk/soul/disco records

but I gotta mention the legendary sitcom Seinfeld, Jonathan Wolff played some awsome slap-pop lines in every friggin episode.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

the funniest thing I've discovered is the bass line in Peter Gabriel's track "Secret World" it's from the album US.... when Tony Levin plays the bass line in the chorus parts... it has exactly the same melody as some African tribal songs..... I don't know if Tony took it from some African song but I know that Peter is heavily into world music and Tony is probably the most creative and out of the box bassist ever, so I could be right

Comment

Oh, another one of Geddy's best basslines:

The Big Money

The verse part is a bitch to play; then try singing while playing it like he does. Damn!

- E.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                      Oh, another one of Geddy's best basslines:

The Big Money

The verse part is a bitch to play; then try singing while playing it like he does. Damn!

- E.
                      what release is that from..

The title isn't ringing any bell..but I'm sure I know it.

Comment

Verdeen White, Earth wind and fire any song
                        Geddy Lee, Rush Xanadu
                        Mars Cowling, Pat tavers Snortin whiskey
                        John Entwistle, The Who eminence front

Damn, there are so many, I just picked the ones that stick with me the most.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          what release is that from..

The title isn't ringing any bell..but I'm sure I know it.
                          It's from Power Windows. It was the single for the album, so you should have at least heard it on the radio when it came out.

- E.

Comment

Wrathchild - Iron Maiden
                            Which Way To America? - Living Colour
                            Out Of Ideas

Comment

phantom of the opera- Iron Maiden
                              crash course in brain surgery- Metallica
                              The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

HAILZZ!! I'm a noob to the site but I've been playing bass/singing for almost 20 years now. Here's a short list of a couple of players who've influenced my playing...enjoy!

Chris Squire - YES - every album!
                                Greg Lake - ELP - every album!
                                Mike Rutherford - GENESIS - everything up thru A TRICK OF THE TAIL
                                Geddy Lee - every single note! :p
                                Jaco Pastorius - "Portrait of Tracy"
                                Stanley Clarke - everything!
                                Lars K. Norberg - SPIRAL ARCHITECT - A SCEPTIC'S UNIVERSE (the entire
                                album)
                                Les Claypool - anything and everything!

This is all off the top of my head but when I think of some more I'll come back and post 'em!

Comment

Working...
                                X