STEVE HARRIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: STEVE HARRIS

Some do ....Who are you referring to . I for one say that both players from Dream Theatre and Sympohony X lack feel and emotion . Two theory mongers chasing their tales doing finger exercises as their brand of music. They cram 20lbs of crap in a five pound bag.

They are GREAT musicians and have written some great songs (the short ones). But that whole 25 minute epic masterbatery is really some boring ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

That's what I think..

Bill Z Boinger
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

"I'm just saying he wasn't that technically Godlike on his instrument" - That kinda summs it up. Virtuosos rarely headline or pack arena's. I feel most of them are out to impress with technique rather than express musical emotion.

Matt

Comment

as much as I love DT at times, when I saw them this summer the whole noodle-fest was getting old. I would've rather had King's X play for another 30 minutes, than listen to that.

On the other hand, I still love their versions of Perfect Strangers and The Rover from Change of Seasons...and that tone...ooooooh...
        [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

There's nothing wrong with funk-style grooves (RHCP doing Higher Ground kicks ass!) but in the typical rock/metal context, a busy bass is competing with the main melody provided by the rhythm guitar and vocals.
          While Steve Harris' mimicking the guitar rhythms is not really considered "busy bass", since he's fattening the rhythms, it doesn't conflict with the melody as if you had someone trying to do the guitar runs and riffs in Crazy Train, for example (which is what one of my ex-bassists loved to do).
          He wouldn't do the bass line to Crazy Train, he'd do the guitar part on bass, which of course is incorrect.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ya know, you guys could do what Meshuggah did on Nothing, their newest album, and start using 8-string guitars and fire your bass player! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't think Harris is overrated at all. I've been listening to 'Arry and the boys since 1982 and think he's a great bass player.

I do, however, think that Maiden got caught in a rut, and things became repetitive. No Prayer sucks ass, all the Blaze stuff is absolutely positively horrendous...Fear of the Dark...ehhh...it's got it's moments.

I think BNW was a fine return to form. Harris is predicitble, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Comment

True, a little predictable, but a great player anyway! I think the X Factor album kicks ass, regardless if Blaze is on it or not.

The Virtual XI album pretty much sucked, except for the first song, Futureal. All the choruses on that album were just driven into the ground being sung over and over again, and Nicko was pretty much non-existent on the album. Except for a lot of cymbal crashes, he barely did any drum fills... they should have just programmed a drum machine!

Comment

I

[ December 24, 2002, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: khabibissell ]

Comment

Hey Khabbabiboobyhead!!

And Britney Spears sold more records than everyone , so she must be great!!

your a retard

Love,

Bill Z Bub

[ December 18, 2002, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Don't be gay, Sparky! Don't be gay! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice edit job, Bill! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

ya like that huh??? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep, sure was funny! You are a gay homosexual! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I change it to "retard" ....more politically correct I guess [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL Fock being PC! [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X