STEVE HARRIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: STEVE HARRIS

Eh, I have to point something out. Randy Rhoads wasn't self-taught. He took lessons from a guy at his mom's music school early on, and later on when he was on tour with Ozzy he would find a teacher in almost every city he went to, and take a lesson or two from them....sometimes giving the teacher a lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
      Wasn't Randy Rhoads self-taught as well? Yet no one bashes him.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, he was classically trained. And his mom is also a music teacher.

BTW, I hear Bill Z Bass really does play better than Michael Anthony! :lol
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I read a George Lynch interveiew stating that George had to take over Randy's students during the Ozzy gigs...All of his students were driving George crazy and showing up wearing Bow-Ties and poka dots... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I going to start giving bass lessons in a couple of weeks myself at my cousin's music store after the holidays! It's basically all playing technique for advanced players since I don't know a lick of theory. I couldn't teach novice students , I'd would just screw them all up showing them all my bad habbits. There's a demand to learn slapping and the tapping stuff ....Cool
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I couldn't be in a band with a bassist who only mimicked the bass drum - I can do that with low-EQ boost with a guitar. By the same token, I couldn't be in a band with a bassist who was constantly busy like Flea, Claypool, or Sheehan. There's a place for all instruments to fit in a composition, and keeping your place is just as important as knowing your place. I've tried to work with the minimalists and the shred-bassists, and neither one knew their place. They knew the notes, but they didn't have any sense of how they should fit in the overall picture to make it complete - imagine a painting of a forest in the Fall, with all the colors of the leaves, and then imagine a screaming pink stripe from corner to corner - that's about what it means to not be able to fit the overall image. Certainly given the reflective nature of light and the different colors, there would be *some* pink, but if it's not in the right place, it doesn't work.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Absolutely...
            John and I are going to be recording a few songs that we have wrote together right after the holidays. I don't have a bass and we don't have anyone besides myself to fill the bassist role yet.
            I sense John is worried of me possibly overplaying that role once we hit the studio....NO WAY ! I'm not going to butcher Months of hard work for me to wank all over it. I believe I have a pretty good grip on looking at the big picure in just about everything I do in life ...Probably due to my OCD disorder.. John is also so brutaly anal as well (That always sounds so gay). We will bicker for a hour over one note and drive our singer and drummer nuts...NOT JOKING!! We both have the ability to shred and we have a song with NO solo at all. It doesn't need one therefore it doesn't get one. I can Tear it up on four strings just as good as anyone. But part of being a good player is knowing when and when not to
            NEWC your ....color anology was ...well colorfull. I think I have to read your post again because I didn't comprehend one word of it...Hey it's 5:35 AM , I'm delerious

Ohh yeah ...I always cue of the kicks , did it from day one. When I slap / funk ....My thumb is pretty locked on the kicks and the other fingers cue of the snare , fills . Of course I pluck octaves with my middle...the usual funk crap

Not much room for Funk Bass in Evilution though.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ December 02, 2002, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill, you'll have them playing like Fieldy in no time. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc, I think it's possible for a good bassist to be busy and maintain their place. Busy lines don't necessarily equal "lead bass". Flea does a fantastic job maintaining a groove. When I saw Jamiroquai the week before last, Nick Fyffe played complicated, grooving lines all night and was totally in the pocket. Was some fantastic bass playing all night and totally fit in with the band. But then, it wasn't "metal" bass either [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I like flea's playin!

Great Metal Bassist......(Gifted Players)
                Steve DiGiorgio
                Barry Sparks
                M.Onder
                Randy Coven
                John Andrette
                Wally Voss
                Tony Franklin
                Billy Sheehan
                Myung
                Stu Hamm
                TM Stevens
                Billy Zurlo....AKA-Bill Z Bub

Comment

I don't worry about you overplaying... There's hardly room for bass anyways in our deep din of guitars and I know you won't trash a song to play bass "trembaloes, arpeggios and virtuosos" haha...

But, you are involved heavily in writing the main movement, and I just want someone NEW to put a twist on what we're doing. That's most of it.

I don't want you to write all the bass parts, and then the new bassist will feel like he's joining a copy band.

Plus, I'm sure you'll play some complex stuff that the average mouth breather type of bassist will have a hard time duping...

Pretty much that....

Comment

John that sounds great to me ! Now all we have to do is find one [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

WTF?!?! Why do I CONSTANTLY see people bashing Billy Sheehan? Ya know, he doesn't always wail on it. Billy is more than content to sit back and groove for the song when it's called for. Geeeezus, I laughed when Nikki Sixx slammed him "I was never into that ****". What, like being able to play your instrument? Please...

You wanna hear him wail? Pick up Niacin's Time Crunch. Amazing, especially with Dennis Chambers on drums. You wanna hear him not shred? Go listen to Mr. Big's second album. He supports the damn song throughout the album (barring solo on the first track).

Kristalmighty!!

Comment

I gotta agree with the Aardvark here-Billy is a tasteful bassist when needed. And about Flea, you gotta take his playing in the context of the band-most RHCP songs are built around the bass and the drums.

Comment

Both very seasoned gifted players. If I had to hire one of those guys I have to go with Billy ...fits better in metal. But I really like Steve DiGiorgio !Sheehan is cool...I think he is a very solid player . What the best thing about sheehan's is NOT the tappin stuff. He's got one of the best right hands in the Biz very articulate player. His tappin is a bit Juvenile as far as tappin goes . I think I have one up on him in that area plus he never slapped in his life so he has limits...he's human [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Billy's great but even he knows his limitations and acknowledges them ...very nice guy!!

You know something! Flea couldn't play like Billy and Billy couldn't play like Flea...I could play like both ...so I guess my limitations are limited ...wha [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Have you noticed how my attitude changes when talking about guitars then to basses. I'm a very humble guitarist ...noticed how I practically kissed the skin off Glen Drover's ass [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Wouldn't happen if Jaco himself came here .. I'd just say Hi and be all gentalmanly and whatnot ...I worship no mortal bassist [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm an conceded retard on the bass

[ December 03, 2002, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

you gotta dig out some old tapes of your playing, Bill. I'd love to hear 'em. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

btw, thoughts on Doug Wimbish? Not a metal bassist, but very versatile, has it all down.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

I used to do an eight minute solo spot every night at the gigs (I may have it on a VHS camcorder tape)...it's a whole structured thing from start to finish . I played it the same every time so it's burried deep in my brain! When I get my hands on a bass I'll have John record it and put it on the board ...I'd love to show you guys this crap and see what ya think...honestly!!!

Doug Wimbish is AWESOME!!!

[ December 04, 2002, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

horns, i can't wait to hear it!
                                The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Working...
                                X