kevin bonds rr vs. rr5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kevin bonds rr vs. rr5

ive narrowed it down to 2 now...i kinda wanted to wait till winter namm to see if anything new comes out...but i want a new one now....if anyone has played or owns these any feedback on them would be appreciated...thanks alot

I have owned neither, but I did own a KV4 which is similar to quality of the RR5 which is poor. These guitars look great from a distance but when you look a little closer, they are cheaply made. Cheap wood, mother of toilet seat inlays, cheap hardware and electronics, no binding, etc.

Now from what I have seen and heard, the Kevin Bonds guitar is MUCH nicer than the RR5 and MUCH closer to the quality materials put into the USA models.

Comment

Here are a few opinions...
      http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59326
      The only things I don't care for on mine are the inlays (look almost like decals from the right angle) and that the Iommi pickup is a bit harsh for clean sounds. Great guitar for metal.
      Mine is kind of for sale... I'm on the fence about replacing it with another Dominion.
      Last edited by TreeFitty; 11-08-2006, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danacus View Post
        I have owned neither, but I did own a KV4 which is similar to quality of the RR5 which is poor. These guitars look great from a distance but when you look a little closer, they are cheaply made. Cheap wood, mother of toilet seat inlays, cheap hardware and electronics, no binding, etc.

Now from what I have seen and heard, the Kevin Bonds guitar is MUCH nicer than the RR5 and MUCH closer to the quality materials put into the USA models.
        Just curious, if you have owned neither, why make a comparison then?

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
          Just curious, if you have owned neither, why make a comparison then?
          I feel very strongly about and like to share information on the quality of the newer Japanese Jacksons. Their quality is not what the Model or Professional series was. The Bonds seems to be an exception.

I am curious if your not going to be informative or at least funny, why did YOU post? Just to be a an a-hole I assume.

Comment

I completely disagree with you on the RR5. My only problem with them is yes, the pots and switch aren't quite the quality of a USA RR1. As for the build quality and everything else, it's a great guitar. Don't get me wrong, the Bond is nice too....but a different monster all together with binding, ebony and only 1 pickup. The Bond is a little more one dimensional than the RR5, the RR5 is Alder and the Bond is Mahogany. Both are good guitars. Don't be so down on the RR5 it's a GREAT guitar. As for the KV4, these are also great, with the same switches and pots as the RR5 PLUS the JT580 which I'm not a huge fan of, but maintained correctly they hold up pretty well.
            Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
              I completely disagree with you on the RR5. My only problem with them is yes, the pots and switch aren't quite the quality of a USA RR1. As for the build quality and everything else, it's a great guitar. Don't get me wrong, the Bond is nice too....but a different monster all together with binding, ebony and only 1 pickup. The Bond is a little more one dimensional than the RR5, the RR5 is Alder and the Bond is Mahogany. Both are good guitars. Don't be so down on the RR5 it's a GREAT guitar. As for the KV4, these are also great, with the same switches and pots as the RR5 PLUS the JT580 which I'm not a huge fan of, but maintained correctly they hold up pretty well.
              Sorry, maybe I have been spoiled. I own about 25 electric guitars, all USA stuff except for some of my custom ESPs and a couple Model 6's and 650XL's. USA Jacksons, BC Richs, PRS's, etc. and the KV4 was a complete disappointment in comparison to any of these. I have palyed some of the Jackson Pro neck-thru stuff from the '90's and those kick the KV4's ass too. Mother of toilet seat inlays just make me sick

Comment

I wouldn't exactly call the KV4 a "newer" model, especially since it has been discontinued since 5 years (under AMIC ownership)...and the general opinion is that QC went up a notch after the Fender buyout. But I'm not really one to talk about quality differences, since I don't own any of the guitars mentioned in this thread.

I'm going to stop splitting hairs. I agree that the Bond RR is a much nicer axe, even with the single pickup and the quirky inlays.

Mother of toilet seat inlays just make me sick
                +1. I absolutely agree.

Comment

I would definately prefer Kevin Bond!!! It have much better feel, action and sound but these are my opinion You have to try them both and make your own opinion. Kevin Bond RR is also MUCH cooler than RR5.

Comment

I have to agree with Danacus on his opinion. I have played both the KBRR and the RR5. The KBRR is a lot closer in feel and quality to the USA stuff and the early neck thru Pro's. The RR5 "felt" like a cheap guitar, and up close it is even worse. Not even close to a RR1T. That is just MY opinion.

I know the RR5 has a lot of fans and that is cool. I came close to buying a new one when they first came out, but then I waited and got the RR1T. Glad I waited.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'll tell you what, I went to Sam Ash the other day and they had an RR5 and a Kevin Bond... I picked up the RR5 fully expecting it to sound more beautiful than it looked and was underwelmed. The Kevin Bond doesn't look as nice but, sure did overwelm with its tone. The moral of the story is try before you buy. In another store with another pair the situation could have been reversed.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

The biggest difference with the KB is that it's all mahogany with an ebony board, instead of alder, maple, and ebony. That pickup is a demon, too. The one I played a couple of months ago sounded excellent. VERY thick and punchy.

FWIW the pickup is called an "Iommi" but it's actually the Duncan custom shop Scott Ian pickup - the same one Washburn is putting in his new USA sig models.

Comment

I just sold my RR5. I loved it. Played great and I loved the sound of the JB. Never played a KB - not into petagrams. BUT- I do see what you guys are saying. I don't like heavy guitars but for a guitar that size it was way too light, which makes me feel like its cheap. It was almost as light as my Jay turser start. It felt light like balsa wood. It was very well made though, except for that gold hardware. even the JT was better gold then that. The KB with a second pup and sharkies I'd buy.(hmm ...sound like a 90's RR Professional Pro).

Comment

What about neck on KBR? I hear it's a lot thicker that normal RR.

Comment

I'd get the kevin bonds sig

Comment

Working...
                              X